Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 AM

45 posts, read 66,142 times

Advertisements

I was reading then I came across this interesting story. Some scientists think we have trust issues in certain areas of science including climate change.
CBC News - Canadians lack trust in some scientists, poll suggests

What's your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
I wonder if the trust issues around genetically modified crops involved whether or not they were safe for humans to ingest.

The gene code of plants is modified, and then humans eat that modified DNA --- even though there have been supposedly no ill effects reported, it just seems like something that could have unforeseen circumstances.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
McBean accused oil, coal and other special interest groups of having confused people with false information, while scientists have done a poor job fighting back.

"We need to have that kind of information better conveyed to Canadians so they make better informed decisions.

I think Canadians are unfortunately not receiving the information they need on a whole range of issues."
Other findings of the poll included:
  • One in two want spending on basic scientific research kept at the same levels.
  • Research into medicines seen as the highest priority, research into genetically modified crops the lowest.
  • Nearly half of Canadians believe research into climate change is a high priority. That is stupid since the U.S., parts of Europe and China are investing in this we should join France, India and work on new Thorium Nuclear Reactors and be investing in Nuclear Fusion.
  • Plus who said climate change was caused by man and what can we really do to stop it and I mean I am talking viable solution since Nulcear, LNG, and Hydro is the only real alternatives.
e and we cannot even get pipelines built to sell our Oil and and get world prices for it and make a profit off them.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 AM

45 posts, read 66,142 times
I believe climate change is a natural occurence.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM

654 posts, read 1,495,592 times
100% natural and not a damn thing we could do about it. Where would we be if the climate never changed?

Canadians are always pro environment until they realize pro environment comes out of their wallets.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
That logic doesn't wash.
The oil spill in the gulf of mexico is likely to have had some effect on the gulf stream, because the very same year the gulf stream stopped, and England had the worst winter in all history.
Fact, Plumbing requirements for below ground frost depth had been established for a very long time because England had been enjoying the effects of the gulf stream all this time. But Moscow does not get that advantage so their temretures are normally lower but are at the same lattitude as england their plumbing requirements are significantly deeper to protect from freezing . Now that the gulf is stopped england is sharing the same tempreptures as Moscow.
BP is responsible for the spill but to make things worse due to greed, they are attempting to sink the oil, so no one else can harvest it ,,and the chemicals they are using including the oil ,is killing fish like crazy .
Fukashima is another example of human interference and the pacific is dieing as we speak . So between the radiation in the pacific and the poison in the atlantic I'd say we'r in trouble and people did it not nature .

Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Hmmmmm.

I don't know about that poll. Something isn't right.

lol

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Probably propaganda from Alberta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada