U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,589 times
Reputation: 167

Advertisements

One of the most annoying things as an American is the smug holier than thou attitude that we frequently receive from our supposed Canadian friends in regards to race, guns, gov, etc. The other day, Canada lost to the US in a hockey tournament, and now some Canadians are using racial slurs to blame the black goaltender for the loss. When similar situations occur in the US, we never hear the end of it.

This incident once again shows, racism isn't only an American issue, it's a Canadian and world issue. And I believe America is further along when it comes to improving racial issues because we've acknowledged that racism exists in our country, been having frequent discussions, and working towards improvement for sometime now.

More than anything, I think this is a teachable moment, that the US needs its friends and neighbors to work together to combat racism and other issues so we can all move towards a better America, Canada, and World.

World junior championship: Racial tinge to social media slams of Canada goalie Malcolm Subban | Buzzing The Net - Yahoo! Sports Canada

Rachel Décoste: 'A N*gger in Net': Racism at the World Juniors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Reputation: 29865
A few people out of hundreds of thousands watching the hockey matched decided to turn the goal tenders poor performance into a racial issue and now you are inferring that Canada has a major race problem and we should take some lessons from the Americans on how we should solve our supposed race problems here in Canada. Am i reading that right or am i missing the satire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Reputation: 7586
Canada doesn't have much of a racial problem as far as I know.
The US has a big one because of the slavery history and therefore deep rooted hatred. Canada, between what races?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM
 
297 posts, read 391,078 times
Reputation: 56
Canada is better for different races than the USA and tbh always has been. Ex:Brampton and Surrey and the various Chinatowns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM
 
489 posts, read 1,052,045 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
One of the most annoying things as an American is the smug holier than thou attitude that we frequently receive from our supposed Canadian friends in regards to race, guns, gov, etc. The other day, Canada lost to the US in a hockey tournament, and now some Canadians are using racial slurs to blame the black goaltender for the loss. When similar situations occur in the US, we never hear the end of it.

This incident once again shows, racism isn't only an American issue, it's a Canadian and world issue. And I believe America is further along when it comes to improving racial issues because we've acknowledged that racism exists in our country, been having frequent discussions, and working towards improvement for sometime now.

More than anything, I think this is a teachable moment, that the US needs its friends and neighbors to work together to combat racism and other issues so we can all move towards a better America, Canada, and World.

World junior championship: Racial tinge to social media slams of Canada goalie Malcolm Subban | Buzzing The Net - Yahoo! Sports Canada

Rachel Décoste: 'A N*gger in Net': Racism at the World Juniors
Hi there, thanks for starting this thread. You're not going to get an honest discussion here. Most people have their heads in the sand when it comes to racism in Canada. I know other posters brought the topic up here before (including myself) but the discussion went nowhere.


Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Canada doesn't have much of a racial problem as far as I know.
The US has a big one because of the slavery history and therefore deep rooted hatred. Canada, between what races?
Canada had Slavery, but you didn't know because it's not talked about

Canada have Jim Crow type laws and separated schools, but you didn't know because it's not talked about

Canada had an all-white immigration policy like Australia, but you didn't know because it's not talked about

There been Several race riots in Canada, but you didn't know because it's not talked about

(I don't literally mean you, botticelli)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post

Canada had Slavery, but you didn't know because it's not talked about

Canada have Jim Crow type laws and separated schools, but you didn't know because it's not talked about

Canada had an all-white immigration policy like Australia, but you didn't know because it's not talked about

There been Several race riots in Canada, but you didn't know because it's not talked about

(I don't literally mean you, botticelli)
but the mistakes have been corrected and not as relevant at present, right?

my impression is that Canada is much less race-obsessed than the USA, and there is much less conflict directly related to racial tension.

In the US, it is a bit stupid. For example, there is Latino, and there is white latino. What the heck? Latino first of all is NOT a race, it is like lactose non-tolerant is not a race. Pacific-islander/native Indians are not a race either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
Reputation: 3257
As a minority i have expereienced racism on several levels in Canada. Some of the worst blatant racism i have seen or experienced in Canada has not been only from white Canadians but from other minorities in particular east Asians. I have worked with many people from India and I find them to be pretty prejudice aswell. Racism might not be as blatant or agresive as in the states but does exist here in Canada in a more subtle way, racial stereotypes are a live and well in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,589 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A few people out of hundreds of thousands watching the hockey matched decided to turn the goal tenders poor performance into a racial issue and now you are inferring that Canada has a major race problem and we should take some lessons from the Americans on how we should solve our supposed race problems here in Canada. Am i reading that right or am i missing the satire?
Your reading this wrong. I never said major, I said Canada has a race problem too.

When a few people in the US throw racial slurs around, are you as understanding to the fact that they are the small minority?

The fact that those racial slurs exist means there is a race problem in Canada that needs to be addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,589 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Canada doesn't have much of a racial problem as far as I know.
The US has a big one because of the slavery history and therefore deep rooted hatred. Canada, between what races?
According to those tweets some white canadians are racist towards black canadians.

So, are you telling me the use of all those racial slurs is not a red flag that Canada has a race problem?

My problem is that Canadians hardly acknowledge their race issues and then jump on the US about ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,589 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
Canada is better for different races than the USA and tbh always has been. Ex:Brampton and Surrey and the various Chinatowns
I disagree, I think the US is better for different races because there's more ethnic and racial diversity and larger percentages of visible minorities. And keep in mind, the early American colonies were infected with the slavery disease by the British before the American revolution had been fought. America was founded with slavery, while Canada was not, and I think the US has done a good job righting the wrongs it inherited under the circumstances it was given.

Also nearly every major US city is very diverse and all have Chinatowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top