Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times

Advertisements

The English-speaking part of Canada is actually quite profoundly Scottish. 15 percent of Canadians report Scottish ancestry, and that number is almost certainly an under-estimation when you consider many of the people who report their ancestry as simply being 'Canadian' are probably at least partially Scottish. Scottish people also had a disproportionate influence on Canadian politics and affairs in the country's early days.

A very broad, stereotypical Bob and Doug McKenzie type Canadian accent is very similar to Scottish and Northern English accents. Canadian style raising of words such as 'aboot' is not only common in Canada but also in Scotland and Northumberland.

Probably something like 1/3 of Anglo-Canadians are at least partially Scottish in ancestry. Do Canadians in general feel a kinship with the Scottish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 PM

395 posts, read 859,134 times
Yeah you can just go by last names.

However you gotta be careful with the accents issue.

The stereotypical scottish accent actually has some very strong anglosaxon influence. So it`s not just the scottish accent but a combination of dutch german, swedish and norwegian as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Yeah you can just go by last names.

However you gotta be careful with the accents issue.

The stereotypical scottish accent actually has some very strong anglosaxon influence. So it`s not just the scottish accent but a combination of dutch german, swedish and norwegian as well.
I'd say the Canadian accent is mostly a mix of American, Scottish, French and Northern English. Scandinavian probably has some influence too since the upper Midwest accent is Scandinavian tinged and shares a lot of similarities to the accent of western Canada and Ontario.

A really strong Bob and Doug McKenzie sort of 'hoser' accent actually doesn't even sound American at all, but it's pretty rare to find people who speak like that, especially nowadays. Maybe if you go to the rural towns in northern Ontario, you could still find teenagers who speak like that.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
My ancesters came to Canada in the 1840s from the Highlands. Both sides of my family and they were 100% Scottish. For 6 generations they stayed pure Scot. The baby boom gereration married who ever and our Scottishness is now diluted,LOL.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
My ancesters came to Canada in the 1840s from the Highlands. Both sides of my family and they were 100% Scottish. For 6 generations they stayed pure Scot. The baby boom gereration married who ever and our Scottishness is now diluted,LOL.
But Canadians still love their whisky!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post

Ours is better!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
The English-speaking part of Canada is actually quite profoundly Scottish. 15 percent of Canadians report Scottish ancestry, and that number is almost certainly an under-estimation when you consider many of the people who report their ancestry as simply being 'Canadian' are probably at least partially Scottish. Scottish people also had a disproportionate influence on Canadian politics and affairs in the country's early days.

A very broad, stereotypical Bob and Doug McKenzie type Canadian accent is very similar to Scottish and Northern English accents. Canadian style raising of words such as 'aboot' is not only common in Canada but also in Scotland and Northumberland.

Probably something like 1/3 of Anglo-Canadians are at least partially Scottish in ancestry. Do Canadians in general feel a kinship with the Scottish?
I would say yes. I have no Scottish blood, a bit of Irish and mostly French Canadian. I grew up in B.C.
The history of B.C. is full of Scots. In fact I remember when I went to Scotland years ago, that it felt quite comfortable since we are used to bag pip bands, and are military uses a lot of Scottish imagery in their regiments.

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada | Vancouver

As for our accent, I don't know. It's hard to see the forest because of the trees sometimes. I think there must be an influence since I hear English Canadians use the term peckish and even wee sometimes. However THAT is probably generational.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As for our accent, I don't know. It's hard to see the forest because of the trees sometimes. I think there must be an influence since I hear English Canadians use the term peckish and even wee sometimes. However THAT is probably generational.
When did English and Scottish people stop coming to BC en masse? Mid 20th century? Certainly after 2-3 generations the connections would wane a bit. But I still hear a distinctly Northern English tinge to the way British Columbians talk.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
When anyone would ask my grandfather if he would like some water in his whiskey he would say, leave it alone, the government already puts too much water in it!!!!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Ours is better!
Depends on what you were raised on. Crown Royal rules!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada