Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 13,966 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My name is Juan I'm a 22 years old currently living in Houston Texas and I'm currently considering making a permanent move to Canada next year in 2014. I wanna spend this year making sure I know what I'm getting into and I have a couple questions I was hoping you all could answer.

What city would you recommend living in?
I'm looking for a city with lots of public transportation options to get around. Unfortunately my car won't be coming with me so I need to rely on walking/biking and public trans to make it around.

Is it possible to live on your own working minimum wage job/jobs?
I've always been fairly independent and a hard worker.

Those are my biggest concerns at the moment but I'm open to any advice any of you have to give. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Home - Citizenship and Immigration Canada - Canada
It takes 3 years to get PR Status in Canada and you should see if you even have enough points to even apply even be eligible to be able to apply to be going against people from many other countries that a lot of Americans are from Texas working in Alberta but they are all have years of on the job experience and graduated from trade schools and became journeymen in their trade.

" Dream big, work hard, and let what you love, be what you do." so no matter where you live or where you are from. No one wants to work for min wage at Wal-Mart their whole life you need the drive to tough it out if you want to become Canadian.

Because have to earn it and it is very hard and you will compete with highly skilled and qualified people that apply from all over the world and how bad do you want it to earn it is the question since wanting and wishing to become a Canadian Citizen is not possible you you have to earn it.

I mean I was just lucky to be Born here but the people that immigrate to Canada and gain Citizenship Tend to not take it for Granted which I to do alot and they all tend to be all very hard workers and became highly successful and both us Canadians and Americans take our counters for granted and well to be honest the grass is not always Greener on the other side.

But this leads me to ask why do you want to leave the U.S. if I may ask?

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-24-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Your first concern needs to be to find out if you will actually qualify to move to Canada. Look at the Come to Canada Wizard questionnaire and take the self-assessment test.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/cometocanada.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

Quote:

The self-assessment test will help you determine if you would earn enough points in the six selection factors to qualify as a skilled worker immigrant.

Note: You must meet the minimum requirements for your application to be eligible for processing. Use our Come to Canada Wizard to see if you would meet the minimum requirements.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-24-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,677 times
Please don't come to Canada if you only aspire to make minimum wage.

Ask yourself, "What can I do for Canada?" instead of "What can Canada do for me?"

Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,182 times
Why do people in the US think there is no international border between the US in Canada?

I would like to stay in the US for more than 180 days a year...why can't I?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 PM

Aawww, give the guy a break. You can't blame him for wanting to move to Canada.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 13,966 times
Hi everyone I'm sorry if I came off the wrong way in my first post maybe I should clarify some things about why I'm wanting to move there and plans that I wanna make.

A couple years back an uncle of mine was killed in a gun shooting and all the recent shootings we've experienced and the NRA's solution being add more guns has left a real sour taste in my mouth. I've grown to hate a lot of the things this country stands for because its so unjust to those who don't have money honestly.

When I asked about minimum wage I didn't mean to say that's what I was expecting to work my entire life, maybe just the first year or so to get settled in. I want to go back to school and become a nurse actually once everything is settled.

Thank you Zoisite for the link to the assessment, it looks like currently I'm not eligible to get a workers visa in Canada so this may not even work out for me. I was just happy about the idea of moving somewhere where the guns were limited to armed forces and not commonly owned by every civilian.

Thanks everyone for all your comments.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanr16 View Post
I was just happy about the idea of moving somewhere where the guns were limited to armed forces and not commonly owned by every civilian.

You better do some more homework as you are wrong about that. Guns can still be owned by almost everyone and yes people in this country die by gun fire regularly... here's a fresh one.

Hamilton boy killed in Brampton shooting was 'great, great kid' - Hamilton

Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanr16 View Post

A couple years back an uncle of mine was killed in a gun shooting and all the recent shootings we've experienced and the NRA's solution being add more guns has left a real sour taste in my mouth. I've grown to hate a lot of the things this country stands for .........

When I asked about minimum wage I didn't mean to say that's what I was expecting to work my entire life, maybe just the first year or so to get settled in. I want to go back to school and become a nurse actually once everything is settled.

....... it looks like currently I'm not eligible to get a workers visa in Canada so this may not even work out for me. I was just happy about the idea of moving somewhere where the guns were limited to armed forces and not commonly owned by every civilian.
Hey Juan, don't despair. I'm going to give you a bit of grandmotherly advice here, if you'll take it. There are other avenues that you can go down, it willl just mean putting some extra time and effort into it.

First of all, don't give up on your own country just because of some turmoil that's happening there. It wouldn't make any difference if you went to another country to escape what you feel are injustices in your country. You would find that all countries have their own brands of troubles and injustices happening and everyone has to suck it up and deal with it the best they can to make things better. Taken all together, USA is not a bad place to be, there are a lot of good people there, many good policies and rights and freedoms you have that you wouldn't find in many other countries, and it needs more good people with good ideals and objectives to help make necessary changes to make it an even better place than what it already is. So if you're going to feel stuck there for the time being then try to be one of those people who makes an effort to bring about good changes not only for yourself but for the whole country.

Secondly, what you've written above is evidence that you don't know much about Canada and the reasons you've given for wanting to come to Canada are not good enough reasons because they are misconceptions. Just to set you straight on something, in Canada firearms are not limited to the armed forces, there are millions of civilians in Canada who own firearms and use them for hunting and sporting activities. The main difference between Canada and USA is that Canada has much stricter gun laws and there are restrictions or prohibitions on certain types of firearms and accessories that civilians have a right to own or to not own. Also, it is very uncommon for civilians to get licenses to carry concealed weapons, civilians have to have very exceptional reasons to be granted CCW. So take a look at this link and educate yourself about firearms policies in Canada.

Gun politics in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thirdly - if you want to move to another country, it should not only be because you want to escape from your home country because of things you don't like about it. You should want to move to another country because you know a lot about that country, have visited there and seen what it's like and have fallen in love with it. There should be things about it that you admire and love about it and that make you want to contribute yourself to that country to do good things for that country and continue making it a great place and be proud to become a citizen of that country. No offense intended, but if you can't feel that way about Canada and don't want to do good things for the country then we don't want you here.

Fourthly - with regard to the nursing. If you want to become a nurse then that would be a big qualifier for you to move to Canada as there is a very high demand for people who are in the medical fields in Canada and a high demand in many other countries as well. So I'd suggest that you go ahead with your plans to become a nurse right there in USA - DO it, and do it now! - and then if you still want to move to another country, your nursing education and experience will be qualifications and a BIG door opener for you to job offers in other countries even if you don't have a lot of money. You could probably get work visas to work in several other countries, get some experience in those other countries and then you could decide which one of those countries best suits you to apply to as an immigrant if you still want to leave USA. And who knows, if you get some of that travel and work experience in other countries under your belt you may find that USA is still the best place for you after all.

Fifthly - if you think you want to move away from where you are then it's essential that you research and learn as much as you can about other countries before you make such a huge decision as leaving your home country. Not just about firearms policies, but also about their governments and politics, their economies, their cultures and their societies and their climate. Don't go off half-cocked applying to another country that you don't know anything about just because you don't like where you are.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-25-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 20,528 times
You Canadians have to understand. He is from Texas, and with a name like Juan, he might not even be an American citizen. Texas is covered in illegal immigrants, and if they do not respect our laws, what makes you think they will respect your laws.

I left Texas because the state was becoming overwhelmed. Our border is a sieve. Our federal government has even halted deportations, does not require a picture ID to vote, essentially allowing their(democrat) voting base to expand, against our own laws.

I have the points to move to Canada or New Zealand, and plan to in the next 10 years to get away from our ever expanding population.

New Zealand, 4 million people. Canada, 34 million people. Illegal population in the United States, at least 10 million, with estimates ranging from 7 to 20 million. After growing up in Texas, I think even the 20 million is low.

Plus Canada already tried a gun registry, and has given up on it. Maybe the Democrats could learn from history of other countries with gun registries. They do not work.

Both Toronto and Auckland have about or over 1/4 of the total population of their respective countries, so avoid there like the plague, and everything will be fine for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada