U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,526 posts, read 9,409,905 times
Reputation: 6685

Advertisements

On the Lifetime network Saturday night was the premiere of the TV movie Twist of Faith, starring American singer Toni Braxton. The movie was set in Alabama, with all of the right names tossed in (Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Bibb County, etc.) There was even a scene where the two male leads went rabbit hunting out in the country. They came to a railroad crossing. The sign looked like this:



I said to myself. This show was filmed in "Sweet Home Canabama"!

What cues have you picked up on that your favorite "American" show was filmed north of the 49th?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,946 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Reputation: 8602
- Red mailboxes

- Vehicles have licence plates with numbers but no state/province name or logo

- Different traffic light mounts (especially Ontario ones)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
On the Lifetime network Saturday night was the premiere of the TV movie Twist of Faith, starring American singer Toni Braxton. The movie was set in Alabama, with all of the right names tossed in (Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Bibb County, etc.) There was even a scene where the two male leads went rabbit hunting out in the country. They came to a railroad crossing. The sign looked like this:



I said to myself. This show was filmed in "Sweet Home Canabama"!

What cues have you picked up on that your favorite "American" show was filmed north of the 49th?
Interior shots it's recognizing some the smaller parts played by Canadian actors. Exterior shots it's buildings and the light. Northern sunlight is different, so once I see that combined with buildings etc I usually can tell, since northern light on it's own is not enough to come to a conclusion.
As for railway crossing signs etc, I wouldn't know what one looks like in Alabama to compare.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,526 posts, read 9,409,905 times
Reputation: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As for railway crossing signs etc, I wouldn't know what one looks like in Alabama to compare.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,946 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Reputation: 8602
Canada used to use something similar except the wording was RAIL-WAY CROSSING.

In Quebec at the time they were bilingual and said RAILWAY CROSSING on one tab and TRAVERSEDECHEMINDEFER (fairly jumbled together) on the other.

Now I think the on with no wording is standard across Canada.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Oakville, ON
377 posts, read 1,515,559 times
Reputation: 428
A few giveways:

- Fictional location name or no name given is usually a giveway.

- Red mailboxes and Canadian traffic lights for sure.

- Will sometimes spot a bus/taxi with the colour scheme from a Canadian city.

Sometimes is blatantly obvious like they show the Vancouver skyline when a show is set in Seattle etc.
Other times it's more subtle like I'll recognize an intersection or a specific building from Vancouver or Toronto. In most cases I wouldn't know if I wasn't intimately familiar with the location. I didn't recongize Toronto subtleties until I lived here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
 
489 posts, read 1,051,608 times
Reputation: 500
s f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
A few giveways:

- Fictional location name or no name given is usually a giveway.

- Red mailboxes and Canadian traffic lights for sure.

- Will sometimes spot a bus/taxi with the colour scheme from a Canadian city.

Sometimes is blatantly obvious like they show the Vancouver skyline when a show is set in Seattle etc.
Other times it's more subtle like I'll recognize an intersection or a specific building from Vancouver or Toronto. In most cases I wouldn't know if I wasn't intimately familiar with the location. I didn't recongize Toronto subtleties until I lived here.

This is a dead giveaway. One of my favourite shows, Suits, is filmed in Toronto. From time to time you'll see a red streetcar going down the streets of "Manhattan".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Stasis
15,837 posts, read 10,037,401 times
Reputation: 8547
Color & shape of newspaper boxes (Toronto Star, Sun, National Post.....).
Street car tracks.
Melinda Street shots in Toronto. (Melinda is a popular location & often blocked off for filming)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,614,876 times
Reputation: 9193
If you see someone eating Old Dutch ketchup-flavoured chips in the background you know it's Canada.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,526 posts, read 9,409,905 times
Reputation: 6685
See if you can find any giveaway this was filmed "up there":

Twist of Faith Starring Toni Braxton | Part 1 of 2 - Video Dailymotion
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top