Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times

Advertisements

On the Lifetime network Saturday night was the premiere of the TV movie Twist of Faith, starring American singer Toni Braxton. The movie was set in Alabama, with all of the right names tossed in (Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Bibb County, etc.) There was even a scene where the two male leads went rabbit hunting out in the country. They came to a railroad crossing. The sign looked like this:

I said to myself. This show was filmed in "Sweet Home Canabama"!

What cues have you picked up on that your favorite "American" show was filmed north of the 49th?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
- Red mailboxes

- Vehicles have licence plates with numbers but no state/province name or logo

- Different traffic light mounts (especially Ontario ones)

Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
On the Lifetime network Saturday night was the premiere of the TV movie Twist of Faith, starring American singer Toni Braxton. The movie was set in Alabama, with all of the right names tossed in (Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Bibb County, etc.) There was even a scene where the two male leads went rabbit hunting out in the country. They came to a railroad crossing. The sign looked like this:

I said to myself. This show was filmed in "Sweet Home Canabama"!

What cues have you picked up on that your favorite "American" show was filmed north of the 49th?
Interior shots it's recognizing some the smaller parts played by Canadian actors. Exterior shots it's buildings and the light. Northern sunlight is different, so once I see that combined with buildings etc I usually can tell, since northern light on it's own is not enough to come to a conclusion.
As for railway crossing signs etc, I wouldn't know what one looks like in Alabama to compare.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As for railway crossing signs etc, I wouldn't know what one looks like in Alabama to compare.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Canada used to use something similar except the wording was RAIL-WAY CROSSING.

In Quebec at the time they were bilingual and said RAILWAY CROSSING on one tab and TRAVERSEDECHEMINDEFER (fairly jumbled together) on the other.

Now I think the on with no wording is standard across Canada.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,613 times
A few giveways:

- Fictional location name or no name given is usually a giveway.

- Red mailboxes and Canadian traffic lights for sure.

- Will sometimes spot a bus/taxi with the colour scheme from a Canadian city.

Sometimes is blatantly obvious like they show the Vancouver skyline when a show is set in Seattle etc.
Other times it's more subtle like I'll recognize an intersection or a specific building from Vancouver or Toronto. In most cases I wouldn't know if I wasn't intimately familiar with the location. I didn't recongize Toronto subtleties until I lived here.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,220 times
s f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
A few giveways:

- Fictional location name or no name given is usually a giveway.

- Red mailboxes and Canadian traffic lights for sure.

- Will sometimes spot a bus/taxi with the colour scheme from a Canadian city.

Sometimes is blatantly obvious like they show the Vancouver skyline when a show is set in Seattle etc.
Other times it's more subtle like I'll recognize an intersection or a specific building from Vancouver or Toronto. In most cases I wouldn't know if I wasn't intimately familiar with the location. I didn't recongize Toronto subtleties until I lived here.

This is a dead giveaway. One of my favourite shows, Suits, is filmed in Toronto. From time to time you'll see a red streetcar going down the streets of "Manhattan".

Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Color & shape of newspaper boxes (Toronto Star, Sun, National Post.....).
Street car tracks.
Melinda Street shots in Toronto. (Melinda is a popular location & often blocked off for filming)

Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
If you see someone eating Old Dutch ketchup-flavoured chips in the background you know it's Canada.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM

See if you can find any giveaway this was filmed "up there":

Twist of Faith Starring Toni Braxton | Part 1 of 2 - Video Dailymotion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada