Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times

Advertisements

What else do you want to describe it as? Visible minorities is a descriptive term, get over it. They are people who are minorities, and their status as minorities is visible because they are non-white. It's a great term because it actually acknowledges that there are also invisible minorities - people who are white and blend in with mainstream white Canadians but are actually ethnic minorities.

How else would you propose someone describe this group of people? Is it racist to simply acknowledge the existence of minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:10 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm a little confused by this story. If your wife's old license had her name on it as did the marriage certificate, where did the clerk get the notion that her name was anything else? Also when it comes official government issued identification, I would hope the clerk DOES follow " the rules and the exact letter of the law".
Yes, the old license had the name which was legally changed on the driver's license after our marriage. The state we lived in, like most U.S. states, did not require a court order for changing your name when you got married, as long as you kept the first name the same. You can move your maiden name to your middle name and adopt your spouse's last name. Thus the name was legally changed on her driver's license, and on her social security card. Her U.S. passport still showed the old name, because it's still valid in conjunction with a marriage certificate. We saw no reason to pay $110 to get a new passport.

The lady at the Ontario Driver's License office refused to respect the name change because the passport did not reflect it, even though the driver's license did. We argued with her for twenty minutes and finally just let her put the wrong name on the license. It wasn't worth continuing to argue over.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just for the sake of clarity, if it was an airline employee in Frankfurt, it's highly likely that they were GERMAN. The cost of sending an ex-patriot clerk is highly prohibitive. Just because they work for Air Canada, doesn't make them Canadian.
You've a point there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm a little confused by this story. If your wife's old license had her name on it as did the marriage certificate, where did the clerk get the notion that her name was anything else? Also when it comes official government issued identification, I would hope the clerk DOES follow " the rules and the exact letter of the law".
A Canadian will be familiar that only Quebec married women retain their maiden names, whereas the married women for the RoC have their names changed automatically following the marriage certificates.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
You've a point there.

A Canadian will be familiar that only Quebec married women retain their maiden names, whereas the married women for the RoC have their names changed automatically following the marriage certificates.
I was married in Manitoba and depending on what you mean by the above, my name was not automatically changed. I kept my last name but had I wanted to change it I would have had to fill out forms and send in my marriage certificate. I don't believe there was a charge for it, simply that it wasn't automatic.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Way to out yourself, Adolf!
Godwin's Law has been invoked. Discussion over.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Yes, the old license had the name which was legally changed on the driver's license after our marriage. The state we lived in, like most U.S. states, did not require a court order for changing your name when you got married, as long as you kept the first name the same. You can move your maiden name to your middle name and adopt your spouse's last name. Thus the name was legally changed on her driver's license, and on her social security card. Her U.S. passport still showed the old name, because it's still valid in conjunction with a marriage certificate. We saw no reason to pay $110 to get a new passport.

The lady at the Ontario Driver's License office refused to respect the name change because the passport did not reflect it, even though the driver's license did. We argued with her for twenty minutes and finally just let her put the wrong name on the license. It wasn't worth continuing to argue over.
I looked up the identification requirements for obtaining an Ontario's driver's licence. Quite a few options for identifying yourself. However it does state quite clearly that the name on the passport must be the legal name, so if it is no longer the legal name then the other lists of identification fall into place. So it doesn't seem it's this particular employee's lack of understanding on moving a last name to a middle name.

Identity Documents

For fun I looked up what is identification is required to obtain an NY driver's licence, but frankly I got a bit lost. I'm guessing in both places a marriage certificate is enough to prove a name change on an existing licence holder in that jurisdiction, but not enough when applying for a licence for the first time.

NYS DMV - Forms Download

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-18-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I was married in Manitoba and depending on what you mean by the above, my name was not automatically changed. I kept my last name but had I wanted to change it I would have had to fill out forms and send in my marriage certificate. I don't believe there was a charge for it, simply that it wasn't automatic.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote:
After marriage, you can choose to use your own or your spouse's surname. Getting married does not result in a legal change of name or automatic change to your identification or records.
One has to contact each Agency directly - passport, driving license, and etc. Not a big deal, if the couple chooses not to.

Possible inconvenience arising is when they travel to say some world cities that still scrutinize the passports of hotel paying guests. So Mr A and Miss/Ms/Madam B want to sleep in the same hotel room. And a hotel front-desk clerk is asking them a lot of impertinent questions.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
I don't think there's as much racism in Canada as culturalism. Ethnic minorities who speak the langauge and assimilate into Canadian life are widely accepted. IT's when people come from other countries and refuse to integrate that other Canadians take this as an insult, generally leading to the perception of racism. It's not. Much of this frustration is aimed at non-ethnic immigrants from Eastern Europe as much as people of different skin colour.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
I wonder if the often militant political correctness in countries like Canada and Britain actually masks a lot of latent racism.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
It sounds very backward that most married women still tend to change their last name. It sounds even more stupid when people think not changing the name is weird.

So if a woman married twice in life, she essentially has to change her name 3 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada