Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 PM

25 posts, read 88,284 times

Advertisements

By Hip Hop culture, I mean the whole deal with pit bulls, wife beaters (the shirts, that is), drugs, (crappy) music about selling drugs and killing people, dirty, old cars with the fugly spinning rims, loud vulgar mannerisms and language.. that deal. Is there a lot of that in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 02:10 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
There is a hip hop culture in large Canadian cities (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver), but not quite as you've described. There are Canadian hip hop artists and a Canadian hip hop scene. What you've described above sounds more like the American gangsta wannabe culture which is prevalent in the suburbs of above-mentioned cities, mostly enjoyed by bored teenagers. Most Canadian hip hop doesn't revolve around gangsta lifestyles.

Last edited by Robynator; 10-24-2007 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM

You might want to read this:

Canadian hip hop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Influences

Although American East Coast hip hop is obviously a major influence on Canadian artists in the genre, Canadian hip hop also incorporates a number of other influences not commonly seen in the mainstream of the American genre.

The black community in Canada is much more dominated by people of Caribbean heritage than is the African American community in the United States. As a result, Canadian hip hop is significantly influenced by the rhythms and styles of Caribbean music. English Canadian hip hop tends to be influenced by Jamaican and Bahamian styles, while francophone hip hop from Quebec is commonly influenced by Haitian music.

The genre-hopping "Tom Waits with a beatbox" style of Buck 65, who integrates country, rock, folk and blues influences into his music, has also become a major influence on Canadian hip hop in the 2000s. His influence is especially strong on hip hop artists from the Maritime provinces, such as Classified and Jesse Dangerously but can also be seen in artists such as Ridley Bent.

Electronic music is also a significant influence, notably seen in artists such as Cadence Weapon, Ghislain Poirier and Omnikrom.

Last edited by Robynator; 10-24-2007 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 02:22 PM

This is also an interesting article!

CBC.ca - Arts - Music - Canadian Hip Hop vs. America (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/canadianhiphop.html - broken link)

Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Rollin' on 24's with lo-pros doesn't work real well in the snow either.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
I have seen old cars, trucks and SUV's "rollin' on dubs" but I've never seen anyone in Canada get a "lift kit" to put even bigger rims under their car. Usually those vehicles are left stock height or are lowered up here. I have seen lifted cars in Florida though, on vacation.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
You might want to read this:

Canadian hip hop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Influences

Although American East Coast hip hop is obviously a major influence on Canadian artists in the genre, Canadian hip hop also incorporates a number of other influences not commonly seen in the mainstream of the American genre.

The black community in Canada is much more dominated by people of Caribbean heritage than is the African American community in the United States. As a result, Canadian hip hop is significantly influenced by the rhythms and styles of Caribbean music. English Canadian hip hop tends to be influenced by Jamaican and Bahamian styles, while francophone hip hop from Quebec is commonly influenced by Haitian music.

The genre-hopping "Tom Waits with a beatbox" style of Buck 65, who integrates country, rock, folk and blues influences into his music, has also become a major influence on Canadian hip hop in the 2000s. His influence is especially strong on hip hop artists from the Maritime provinces, such as Classified and Jesse Dangerously but can also be seen in artists such as Ridley Bent.

Electronic music is also a significant influence, notably seen in artists such as Cadence Weapon, Ghislain Poirier and Omnikrom.
I knowe absolutely nothing about Rap...but Buck 65 is terrific!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Most of the blacks in Canada are West Indian blacks. Not the variety the USA has. As such their cultures are different in many ways. The blacks in Canada dress well, don't have their asses sticking out of their pants or fake gold teeth. That said, there are some degree of dangerous black gangs in Canada- especially around Finch Street and Scarbourgh in Toronto.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The blacks in Canada dress well, don't have their asses sticking out of their pants or fake gold teeth.
I've seen some asses sticking out, but there are quite a few young black males here who don't were there pants that low.
I also see a lot of chains hangin' low, but never seen any fake teeth up here... YET.

Perhaps for some there's less need for some youth to identify with American hip-hop culture since they can still identify with their Caribbean or African roots as well or instead.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:44 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
My impressions as someone who hasn't spent much time in Canada....

Love it or hate it, hip hop music and culture reflects a reality of many communities in America. The drugs, the misogyny, the pimps, the hustlers, the guns; these are attributes of the dirty underbelly of many of the rough urban neighborhoods in the U.S. and hip hop music provides an outlet for those who come from such backgrounds to speak of what they know, what they saw growing up with and what a large part of the American population wants to ignore. In my opinion, this this sort of life just simply isn't a reality for as many Canadians. It's autobiographical, and in my opinion, Canada just doesn't have as many people coming from these sorts of backgrounds as does the U.S. I don't necessarily mean a racial background, but rather an economic background in that the ghettoes of Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver (minus the Downtown Eastside) don't seem to be nearly as numerous or hold much of a candle to the slums of Miami, New York, Detroit or Chicago from where hip hop culture originates.

From what little Canadian rap I've heard, it definitely appears to not have as hard of a gangsta edge as rap in the U.S. However, American gangsta rappers are popular in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada