U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,291,130 times

Advertisements

If there is one part of the US that is very culturally different from Canada- it is the US South- from the weather/ city layouts/ politics/ demographics/ cuisine/ history/ race relations/ "vibes"

Do Canadians visit the Southern states? Florida and the SW states dont count.

I know that there are regional differences between the 70 million + pop US South and 35 million + Canada, but just curious here of what Canadians think when they visit the Southern areas.

For me, last year Oct I went to Montreal and then straight away went to Atlanta. Couple weeks ago I came back from Houston but had just been to Vancouver a few weeks earlier. I appreciate the almost polar-opposite ways of such trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,164,693 times
I've been to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Does Tennessee count? The main drag in Gatlinburg seemed like one big strip mall, but otherwise it is a down right beautiful state. I love the south. The town layouts seemed like any other layout of a town crammed into the side of a mountain up here lol Knoxville seemed like a pretty standard grid pattern where avaliable, but I only passed thru, pretty much.

People were super kind and hospitable from what I experienced. I met the cutest girl down there, and with that accent, and those big brown eyes..... I probably would have done whatever she said. Who am I kidding? I DID do whatever she said lol. They knew how to drink, knew how to have fun, knew how to treat visitors. I would not hesitate to return.

To be quite honest though, if it wasn't for the accents, flags etc... I never would have really been aware that I was in America, I never do really. No weird "vibes", I don't talk politics, the weather seemed on par with Windsor for the most part for July. Say between 80-90*F everyday. Sort of humid, to really effing humid depending on the breeze....I dunno....felt like home, but with mountains lol

I never know how my opinion counts though from a Canadian point of view. Windsorites are a strange Yankee/Canuck hybrid.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 03-24-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 PM

9,533 posts, read 9,417,427 times
This topic was discussed last year by some odd fellow with an Italian surname who claimed to live in Mississippi:

Any Canadians been to Dixie?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,813,927 times
You shouldn't omit Florida completely from the list, because the Panhandle and cities like Jacksonville and St. Augustine are Southern by any standard. Ironically, the further south you go in Florida, the further from The South you feel.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 AM

1,657 posts, read 1,639,430 times
A lot of flags! Impossible to forget where you are.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,116,479 times
I've been to several southern cities but have spent a lot of time in Atlanta because I have lots of family there so I feel I know that city well. It's different but it's a nice different. The cost of living about a half of Toronto so people buy a home straight away. The people are friendly and very social (I get invited to a lot of cooks out and parties by people I don't know too well down there which wouldn't happen up north). The city has crazy nightlife and good restaurants, people like to go out a lot there. The city has a lot of soul in terms of music, people really know their music there. The city is modern and new. The old historical housing are like mini-castles and just gorgeous. The city has grown economically by leaps and bounds over the last 20 years, I think they are 4th or 5th in Fortune 500 HQ and have a huge start up community that exceeds anything I see back home.

On the flip side, there are a sizable ghetto/gangster population so you have to stay on your side of town. You definitely have to drive everywhere as the city has some core areas but sprawls, kind of like LA. It's gets a little too hot for my liking in the summer and it is landlocked. The core city was surprising liberal, there is even a huge gay presence in midtown ATL which I did expect in the south. But if you drive 30 mins out of the core, you can be around some very redneck folks. More people do seem conservative minded but the core city votes Democrat. Another difference is that a lot of the locals seem to get married and have kids early, like in their mid 20s. Not judging anyone, but there is more of a focus on family life there. The demographics are different too as there are huge African American and Hispanic populations there but the next generation coming up seems to have more asians in the mix as well. I've met a lot of Canadian expats there as well for some reason (my cousins doctor, boss and best friend are all Canadian down there).

Overall, I have a good time there. No where is perfect but they seem to have a pretty good quality of life.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 AM

377 posts, read 1,516,079 times
I've been to Memphis, Atlanta, Greenville, SC and North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Pinehurst) and have stopped in several small towns along the way.

The south is interesting. The people are friendly and very hospitable (love the girls with their accents) but simple, the food is great and I love the history and the distinct culture. Of all the places I've been Memphis probably personified the "dirty south" stereotype more than anywhere else. Seemed to have racial tensions, the rural/outlying suburban folk were very redneck. Personally I'm not that interested in setting foot in places like Alabama or Mississippi...

The large cities in North Carolina and Atlanta however didn't seem very distinctly "south" compared to other cities and to me they had a very east coast feel (could have passed as suburbs of Washington, Philly or Boston) with a blend of mid-western. The population was quite diverse and fairly well educated, the cities were modern and prosperous.

If you drive, the transition into the south starts more in the mid west (at least to me) Coming from the north, rural Pennsylvania feels very southern to me in geography and mentality. Upstate NY, Ohio feel very Great Lakes/mid western, but there is a dramatic culture shift when you enter PA that doesn't really go away until you hit Florida. I noticed the same thing coming into Missouri from the west. I could be off base, and Americans may not agree, but that was just my impression.

Last edited by Liberated in TO; 03-25-2013 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 PM

264 posts, read 777,455 times
I live on the Outer Banks here in North Carolina. A group of barrier islands along the coast. One of the most popular spots for windsurfing here is called the "Canadian Hole" in Avon because of all the Canadians who windsurf here. The Canadians are welcome here every spring and help the economy quite a bit. All I've come across have loved their windsurfing and seem like nice people.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,945,468 times
There are plenty of Canadian snowbirds who spend the winter in south Alabama towns such as Fairhope, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach.
We have a number of Canadians in our North Alabama city thanks to some Canadian-based manufacturers.
So Canadians can indeed come to the South and live to tell about it.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,571,595 times
Well, the south is one heck of a big place with many different cultures, geography, cuisine etc. I have been all over the south and generally I like it. Actually Savanna is one of my very fave places to visit. If I had a choice to live anywhere one of the places that would make the top ten would be in the Mountains of North Carolina near the Tenn. border. It's just beautiful. I'm not a big fan of cowboy culture and the whole redneck thang so that excludes a lot of Texas and Oklahoma for me. Alberta too LOL. My little dog Cheeky, we rescued off a backroad in the south of Alabama. I love that little guy so all I can say is, "Thanks Alabama for my little friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or