U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 AM

41 posts, read 200,021 times

Advertisements

Could someone please give me a list of Pros and a list of Cons for each city?
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 10:36 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,698,841 times
Vancouver is mild,
Near the Pacific so good seafood
Near Mountains for skiing or snowboarding
Predominantly English.

Ottawa is almost subarctic (same approx. weather as Toronto, only with much colder winters),
Near a big river apparently good for whitewater rafting and iceskating
Many jobs in Ottawa require you to understand and speak in both French and English.
(but there are also a lot of high paying federal gov. jobs for those who do speak both)

*Any of these could be pros or cons depending on your perspective.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:29 PM

41 posts, read 200,021 times
Thank youu - I gotta do more research but I cant now - will check back for any new posts in about 22 hours

Old 10-29-2007, 01:39 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,842,878 times
Are you already familiar with Ottawa and Vancouver? They're drastically different cities. I'm not making a pro/con list for you, but as a life-long Vancouver resident and a 2 week visitor to Ottawa (2003) here's my biased observations:

Ottawa is a smaller, sleepier city, but it has fantastic museums - the best collection of museums in any city in Canada. Gatineau Park is to the north if you're looking for boreal forests and lakes. The Rideau canal is beautiful and you have a large trail system along it, so good for walking/cycling. In the winter when it freezes over, people ice skate on it.

It's a government city so a lot of jobs revolve around that. Some people call Ottawa boring because of its bureaucratic economy. If you're bilingual (English/French) you'll have no problems finding a job.

I noticed it has a large Lebanese community, but otherwise I noticed it's pretty middle class and white, with more French spoken in any other non-Quebecois city I've been to. The climate is subarctic so you have long cold winters and short hot summers. Spring is anticlimactic. May is often the first month of spring.

There's 1 major university so you have college kids around town, but the nightlife is not a strong feature. It's a short drive to the more happening Montreal.

I wouldn't consider Ottawa cosmopolitan, but it would be a nice place to raise a family. Small, not too bustling, and probably more affordable than larger cities.

In Vancouver, you'll never hear French spoken, but instead Cantonese (and occasionally Japanese, Spanish, Tagalog, Hindi, and Mandarin). The vast majority of the population are from elsewhere, and almost half the population is Asian.

It's a much more vibrant city and is cosmopolitan. Nightlife is more varied but not the strength of the city. Not many museums but you have sandy beaches, snow-capped mountains, temperate rainforest parks, and islands. You can ski after work on the mountains which are a 20 minute drive north. Whistler is further north if you want the best skiing on the continent. It's the best place in Canada for year-round outdoor activities. Even downtown has the seawall, a walkway around the water where people are always cycling/jogging/etc. And Stanley Park is a 1000 acre rainforest downtown.

You have rainy winters that rarely go below 0, and spring starts in late February when the Japanese cherry blossoms begin to emerge. Summers are warm, but not humid. Fall is anticlimactic because the trees are mostly evergreen. The restaurant scene is booming/diverse. Lots of Asian cuisine and fresh seafood options. Not much Lebanese or Caribbean food. Lots of technie industries - video games, multimedia, film, etc. 2 major universities. Tourism is another huge indusrty. A great place if you're young and single. Housing is beyond expensive. I hope you have $1,000,000 for a new house, otherwise, expect to spend $350,000 on a one bedroom apartment. Rent is $1200 a month for a tiny one bedroom 500sqf in a good neighbourhood. Less money in less desirable neighbourhoods.

Victoria (which reminds me of Ottawa in ways) is located 3 hours away by car/ferry. Surfing in Tofino is 5 hours away. Seattle is 3 hours south. Calgary/Rockies (an entirely different mountain chain than those around Vancouver) are a 10 hour drive east. Wine/desert country is a 5 hour drive east in the Okanagan.

So... pros and cons really depend on what you're looking for.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:33 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,421,440 times
Quote:
May is often the first month of spring.
LOL. May is often the first month of spring in most of Canada, except, of course, for those parts which look forward to spring in June.

Quote:
There's 1 major university
Actually, both the University of Ottawa and Carleton University call Ottawa home.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,698,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
LOL. May is often the first month of spring in most of Canada, except, of course, for those parts which look forward to spring in June.
April is often the first month of spring in my part of Canada:

-winter usually lasts until the last few days of March
-by mid April winter is dead and gone, even in freaky years,
-no hard frosts after first week of April (usually)
-early blooms usually start coming out in April
-usually our first spell of 70 F-plus (21 C plus) weather lasts for 2-5 days

-most years summer seems to start in late May, roughly around Victoria Day

*However if you mean first (or only) full month that has spring-like or warmer weather, May would be it.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:53 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,842,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Actually, both the University of Ottawa and Carleton University call Ottawa home.

Thanks for correcting me!

And I should also add, Vancouver's universities are not downtown, so if you're going to school there, campus and the city are separated (unlike, say, McGill in Montreal or UofT in Toronto).

Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,593,435 times
^ U of Ottawa is practically right downtown. Ottawa is not quite as diverse as Vancouver and has far fewer Chinese, but I wouldn't call it mostly white either - it does have a larger black/African community than Vancouver - the Somali community there is one of the largest in Canada. The nightlife (including across the river in Quebec) is actually comparable to Vancouver's IMO.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 26,312 times
Hey ( :everything above was really helpful thankyu .yu see ; i have this major project due ;so i need like information on " the best city to live in canaada"& i chose vancouveri have to answer questions like ..Which Resources & Industries operate in different areas ? What the demographics of different cities and regions look like ;What level of access to services people have ;What kinds of entertainment and recreational activities people have access to; What the air and water quality are like ;And what environmental policies are being implemented in your city and region; cud someone please help ?

Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,421,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorobot View Post
Hey ( :everything above was really helpful thankyu .yu see ; i have this major project due ;so i need like information on " the best city to live in canaada"& i chose vancouveri have to answer questions like ..Which Resources & Industries operate in different areas ? What the demographics of different cities and regions look like ;What level of access to services people have ;What kinds of entertainment and recreational activities people have access to; What the air and water quality are like ;And what environmental policies are being implemented in your city and region; cud someone please help ?
Rather than have other people do the research, why not use the power of Google to scan the source documentation yourself? At least that way you'll be more assured of the accuracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or