Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

I recently read something about a group of business men in montreal studying the possibility of bringing a major league baseball team back to Montreal. Do you think its possible? Do you think another city in Canada could support a MLB team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I recently read something about a group of business men in montreal studying the possibility of bringing a major league baseball team back to Montreal. Do you think its possible? Do you think another city in Canada could support a MLB team?
It's possible in Montreal, but I wouldn't say it's likely. The problem is, despite the strong history of baseball in Montreal, across Canada the popularity of baseball with young people has seriously declined. Far fewer kids play baseball these days or watch it on TV, soccer and football are both more popular team sports with kids, hell, even rugby appears to have more teams then baseball these days. With that kind of cultural shift going on, I don't know how MLB will fare, but perhaps it coming back to Montreal could turn things around. The only other city that could possibly support a team would be Vancouver, however they'll need to grow a little bit more first. Longterm, I think MLS is going to grow at the expense of MLB.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's possible in Montreal, but I wouldn't say it's likely. The problem is, despite the strong history of baseball in Montreal, across Canada the popularity of baseball with young people has seriously declined. Far fewer kids play baseball these days or watch it on TV, soccer and football are both more popular team sports with kids, hell, even rugby appears to have more teams then baseball these days. With that kind of cultural shift going on, I don't know how MLB will fare, but perhaps it coming back to Montreal could turn things around. The only other city that could possibly support a team would be Vancouver, however they'll need to grow a little bit more first. Longterm, I think MLS is going to grow at the expense of MLB.
Very true. These grassroots that support a pro team in any sport have collapsed somewhat in Montreal and Quebec. Or at least dwindled.

So you have far fewer of the little league teams from St-Fulgence-de-Machemalo who will splurge for a trip to Montreal to see the Expos once a year as a treat... than you used to.

Or office or beer league teams from Trois-Rivières who would do the same.

You had this all over Quebec before - not so much these days.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 AM

171 posts, read 273,845 times
Quote:
Also, as Canada has more and more immigration, you may start to see more European/world games appear like rugby, soccer, cricket (especially the T20 variety). Most people in Montreal don't even talk about baseball now, it's all soccer and hockey.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Doesn't Quebec city have a pro team from some independant league?

Canada has a pretty rich baseball History, its a shame interest is dieing out. Maybe the bluejays new team will spark more interest . I really hope another city gets a mlb team some day, Montreal or else where.

Quote:
Also, as Canada has more and more immigration, you may start to see more European/world games appear like rugby, soccer, cricket (especially the T20 variety). Most people in Montreal don't even talk about baseball now, it's all soccer and hockey.
Theres not much to talk about, the expos are gone. but I still know lots of baseball fans in Montreal. And soccer is more popular around the world, your right. But baseball is pretty popular too, specially in Latin America. Look at the new stars on the bluejays many are latinos.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Doesn't Quebec city have a pro team from some independant league?

Good point. But it's very much a localized phenomenon in Quebec City. Interesting quirk none the less.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:40 AM
ck9

71 posts, read 124,153 times
Is there one now ? No one cares about baseball ... It's just something that occasionally interrupts a program we like . Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada