Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Every time this issue is raised the subtext is always a value judgement and the matter at hand is not primarily related to second language ability or lack thereof. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 01:52 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Every time this issue is raised the subtext is always a value judgement and the matter at hand is not primarily related to second language ability or lack thereof. Just sayin'.
Well the O/P was being very specific in his question with using the word "lie" rather than simply prefer not to or some other descriptor so therefore the answers are naturally going to be somewhat of an indictment.

Yes; some people in Quebec who are "efficiently bilingual", pretend that they are not. Lying is a pretty nasty word to use for that happenstance but it does happen.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:03 PM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yes; some people in Quebec who are "efficiently bilingual", pretend that they are not. Lying is a pretty nasty word to use for that happenstance but it does happen.
That might be your perception, but I don't know anyone who would bother spending years learning and practicing a language, which requires a lot of effort, and who would then pretend that they do not speak it. Unless the person in front of them has been rude or something...

Old 05-04-2014, 08:18 PM

I confess to pretending I don't speak English sometimes - when the person is being a jerk and I would prefer not engaging in a conversation. It's a good way to get out of it.

Then again, I also pretend I don't speak French sometimes too! For the same reasons.

I know how to say ''sorry I don't speak X'' in a whole bunch of languages in fact. Handy trick.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Seriously, I thought Canada was bilingual? Do these people not even LEARN English in school??

Old 05-04-2014, 08:35 PM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Seriously, I thought Canada was bilingual? Do these people not even LEARN English in school??
Don't Australians learn a second language at school? Do most students still (if they ever did) speak it fluently 10 years later?

If you don't have occasions to speak that second language, you lose it. The vast majority of people in Quebec never (as in never, ever) have to speak English in their daily life.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 PM

The only place I've used English all weekend is on this forum and the last time I spoke it was at work on Friday. Even at work I don't even speak it every day, and many people don't even speak that often even here in Gatineau which is right on the border with Ontario (depending on the job they do).

At the school my kids go to in the middle of the neighbourhood here not all of the teachers are bilingual (far from it) and I suspect that even for those who are are, I am sure they can go for weeks at a time without speaking English. Especially if they have no reason to cross over to Ottawa.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
So I guess they see no advantage in learning English in terms of employment and other opportunities elsewhere in Canada and the States?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:49 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
The only place I've used English all weekend is on this forum and the last time I spoke it was at work on Friday. Even at work I don't even speak it every day, and many people don't even speak that often even here in Gatineau which is right on the border with Ontario (depending on the job they do).

At the school my kids go to in the middle of the neighbourhood here not all of the teachers are bilingual (far from it) and I suspect that even for those who are are, I am sure they can go for weeks at a time without speaking English. Especially if they have no reason to cross over to Ottawa.
Hell, even here sometimes I come across French-Canadians who have not used English in some time. I used to work in a retail store and some older people would struggle to express what they wanted in English. If someone is French, their family (obviously) and friends tend to be as well. The students who went to French immersion schools live in their own little world. You never meet them out and about because they have their own digs and events they tend to stick to.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:54 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
I confess to pretending I don't speak English sometimes - when the person is being a jerk and I would prefer not engaging in a conversation. It's a good way to get out of it.
Not that the other guy was necessarily being a jerk, but at times when I did not want to engage in a conversation (say, in a pub or coffee shop), I would sometimes fall back on Russian, which I learned years ago. That usually worked to indicate that I couldn't communicate, and I would be better left alone.

Of course, that didn't work if I was reading the Globe and Mail, or Time magazine, or other English-language media, of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada