U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times
Reputation: 6719

Advertisements

All my life the history I learned about the American Revolution/War of 1812 was from the Patriots' point of view. Are there any Canadian movies or TV shows that present that history from the side of the United Empire Loyalists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,276 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Reputation: 14315
There have been some books and some Canadian made-for-TV productions. Try these links too: Google and Google it may give you some leads to other material.

War of 1812 - The Canadian Encyclopedia


WAR OF 1812 (English) - APTN.ca - Series Page

War of 1812 : PTV Productions

War of 1812 reinterpreted over the centuries - Canada - CBC News

War of 1812 - Doc Zone - Shows - Shows - CBC Player

War of 1812: Amazon.ca: Victor Suthren: Books



.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,573 posts, read 2,816,316 times
Reputation: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
All my life the history I learned about the American Revolution/War of 1812 was from the Patriots' point of view. Are there any Canadian movies or TV shows that present that history from the side of the United Empire Loyalists?
Few people in Canada knew much or gave a damn about the War of 1812 until Stephen Harper became PM. Now he's constantly commemorating the War, issuing special coins, and visiting monuments and whatnot. I think there may have been a made-for-TV special about the war commissioned by the government recently - I remember seeing something on CBC, but can't quite remember.

For most Canadians, it wasn't our fight and it's ancient history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,276 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Reputation: 14315
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Few people in Canada knew much or gave a damn about the War of 1812 until Stephen Harper became PM. Now he's constantly commemorating the War, issuing special coins, and visiting monuments and whatnot. I think there may have been a made-for-TV special about the war commissioned by the government recently - I remember seeing something on CBC, but can't quite remember.

For most Canadians, it wasn't our fight and it's ancient history.
I agree with what you said, but I have perceived a problem with that though. For a lot of Americans in their minds due to a lot of propaganda and misinformation during their education about that time period, it WAS our fight, it is STILL a fight and they can't let go of a past event that they haven't been fully or properly educated about. The consequence of that is a lot of misunderstandings, biases and prejudices still happening to this day. For that reason I think it would be good for Americans to learn about all sides of the story to see the full picture.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times
Reputation: 6719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with what you said, but I have perceived a problem with that though. For a lot of Americans in their minds due to a lot of propaganda and misinformation during their education about that time period, it WAS our fight, it is STILL a fight and they can't let go of a past event that they haven't been fully or properly educated about. The consequence of that is a lot of misunderstandings, biases and prejudices still happening to this day. For that reason I think it would be good for Americans to learn about all sides of the story to see the full picture.

.

What "misunderstandings, biases, and prejudices"?
Few Americans are obsessed with the War of 1812.
I am simply more interested in seeing something about early American history from the Loyalists' point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,276 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Reputation: 14315
Quote:
I am simply more interested in seeing something about early American history from the Loyalists' point of view.
Can you clarify that? Are you interested in learning about only early American history, or early Canadian or British or French or Prussian or Native Aboriginal's Loyalists' points of view about the American Revolution/War of 1812?

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times
Reputation: 6719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Can you clarify that? Are you interested in learning about only early American history, or early Canadian or British or French or Prussian or Native Aboriginal's Loyalists' points of view about the American Revolution/War of 1812?

.
Whoever was loyal to "Mother England".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,276 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Reputation: 14315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Whoever was loyal to "Mother England".
Well, there's the thing you see, it wasn't all just about "Mother England" loyalists vs. the American revolutionaries, there were several other European countries governments as well as First Nations tribes involved with that war and/or providing funding and military forces. I think if you start with the google links I provided to the Canadian Encyclopedia about that period it will give you a fuller picture or leads into who all the "loyalists" were, what their nationalities and governments were, what their involvement was and what their points of view were.

.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-30-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,654,873 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Few people in Canada knew much or gave a damn about the War of 1812 until Stephen Harper became PM. Now he's constantly commemorating the War, issuing special coins, and visiting monuments and whatnot. I think there may have been a made-for-TV special about the war commissioned by the government recently - I remember seeing something on CBC, but can't quite remember.

For most Canadians, it wasn't our fight and it's ancient history.
Maybe it"s a regional thing, but I think virtually everyone out here was aware of the war and its significance, prior to Harper's tenure as PM. I doubt, too, that it's Harper, specifically, rather than the anniversary of the war that's prompted the commemorations.

I don't think people knew a lot of the specifics (battles, characters and such) with perhaps a couple of exceptions, but knowledge of the geopolitical significance, nation-building mythology and general course of the war seemed quite commonplace. There was some discussion of it in high school, too, though we never really delved into any specifics there, either. There seemed to be a lot of remembering the British burning of the White House, but very little remembering of the burning of York (Toronto).

The CBC, I think, dedicated most of an episode of a People's History, or whatever that series was called, to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top