Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:12 AM

63 posts, read 85,212 times

Advertisements

Hello
My family and I want to study in Canada
I want to study welding
And some of my family members want to study baking

We are looking for a good and cheap college to take
welding course
baker course
any one can help?
and I have another question
I want to know your opinion on this college:
http://www.academycanada.com/
And my last question:
we can study anything we want in Canada?

get a student visa to Canada easy or difficult?
I'm looking forward to reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 PM

233 posts, read 538,380 times
Academy Canada is a private college in Newfoundland and Labrador, while I'm not sure about their programming I did hear a complaint recently of someone doing a course at a private college in the province and her credentials weren't recognized elsewhere in Canada. Academy Canada does seem to be very reputable though. Newfoundland and Labrador's public college, the College of the North Atlantic, would likely be significantly cheaper though, likely the cheapest tuition in the country, if you become a Canadian citizen.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Aviron Montreal
And if you can get by in French =
Pâtisserie professionnelle (Professional Pastry Making) - Institut de tourisme et d'hôtellerie du Québec

Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 AM

no no french not easy
i need english institute
and i want good institute or college first for study short course in english (4-5 months) we bad in english

Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkwar View Post
no no french not easy
i need english institute
and i want good institute or college first for study short course in english (4-5 months) we bad in english
I can only speak for the Toronto area, but I imagine it's similar in other Canadian cities. There are private language schools that charge around $600 per month per person for the study of English, or there are government-sponsored learning sites in different parts of the city and suburbs where you pay only about $50 a month per person for English language instruction - I know which one I'd choose (I have taught at both) and it's not a private language school. However, to get into an accredited program, like one at Sheridan College in Oakville, or Centennial College in Scarborough (both outside Toronto - both offer programs in welding) you need to take and pass TOEFEL, which may require more than 4-5 months study. I know, because I taught English to newcomers like yourself for years and the TOEFEL test requires good reading comprehension and English writing skills, which along with speaking and listening skills take time and patience to acquire. If you cannot read this post all the way through without requiring a dictionary to understand it, you will need at least a year of daily English study.

As for the academic portion of your question, I gave you the name of two schools that have programs for welders in the Toronto area (which is an excellent choice for a trade in Canada right now, I might add), but I am not sure about baking. The licensing and standards process for food preparation in Toronto is much different than that required of a person in the construction trades (ie, welding) and you don't necessarily need to be a licensed baker to work in a bakery. That is probably the best way to learn the skill - working in one of Toronto's small bakeries side-by-side with a Master Baker.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,252 times
Alberta:

NAIT | Welding Courses
http://www.rdc.ab.ca/academic_calend...es/welder.aspx
Welder Apprentice | SAIT Polytechnic | Calgary, Alberta

Newfoundland:

CNA program details (Baker)
CNA program details (Welder)
CNA program details (Welder / Metal Fabricator (Fitter))

Nova Scotia:

Nova Scotia Community College - Welding - Diploma
Nova Scotia Community College - Culinary Arts
Nova Scotia Community College - Baking & Pastry Art
Nova Scotia Community College - Boulanger & Baking Art

Ontario:

Welding Programs at Ontario Colleges | ontariocolleges.ca
Ontario Welding Techniques Program & Courses | Conestoga College
Welding Career Colleges ? Program Content
Baking and Pastry Programs at Ontario Colleges | ontariocolleges.ca
Chef and Culinary Programs at Ontario Colleges | ontariocolleges.ca

Britich Columbia:

Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts: Culinary Arts, Culinary Schools, Culinary Arts Schools
Culinary Arts as a Career - Culinary Arts-Cook Training - College of the Rockies, BC, Canada
Professional Cook Program - Camosun College
Professional Cook Training at Selkirk College in Nelson, BC at Selkirk College
Program Design - Welding - College of the Rockies, BC, Canada
BCIT : : Welding, Level A: Full-time, Certificate of Trades Training
Welding - Camosun College

-- there are many more colleges in Canada. This is just a representation. Google is your friend.
Certainly though, you need advanced (at least upper intermediate) English to attempt to study in these programs.

Last edited by nuala; 06-03-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:

I can only speak for the Toronto area, but I imagine it's similar in other Canadian cities. There are private language schools that charge around $600 per month per person for the study of English, or there are government-sponsored learning sites in different parts of the city and suburbs where you pay only about $50 a month per person for English language instruction - I know which one I'd choose (I have taught at both) and it's not a private language school. However, to get into an accredited program, like one at Sheridan College in Oakville, or Centennial College in Scarborough (both outside Toronto - both offer programs in welding) you need to take and pass TOEFEL, which may require more than 4-5 months study. I know, because I taught English to newcomers like yourself for years and the TOEFEL test requires good reading comprehension and English writing skills, which along with speaking and listening skills take time and patience to acquire. If you cannot read this post all the way through without requiring a dictionary to understand it, you will need at least a year of daily English study.

As for the academic portion of your question, I gave you the name of two schools that have programs for welders in the Toronto area (which is an excellent choice for a trade in Canada right now, I might add), but I am not sure about baking. The licensing and standards process for food preparation in Toronto is much different than that required of a person in the construction trades (ie, welding) and you don't necessarily need to be a licensed baker to work in a bakery. That is probably the best way to learn the skill - working in one of Toronto's small bakeries side-by-side with a Master Baker.
This is a real problem

I have not enough money to study English for a year (just 5000 cad)

Quote:

If you cannot read this post all the way through without requiring a dictionary to understand it, you will need at least a year of daily English study
Of course, I can read the words and understand most of their parts

Quote:

you don't necessarily need to be a licensed baker to work in a bakery. That is probably the best way to learn the skill - working in one of Toronto's small bakeries side-by-side with a Master Baker.
I know that
But we want to try to obtain residence and work in Canada, so we need to certificates

But I confusing
I do not know better and easier to get a job
Is it welding or baking?

Is there someone who knows which is better (welding - baking) in the chances of finding work?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkwar View Post
This is a real problem

I have not enough money to study English for a year (just 5000 cad)

Of course, I can read the words and understand most of their parts

I know that
But we want to try to obtain residence and work in Canada, so we need to certificates

But I confusing
I do not know better and easier to get a job
Is it welding or baking?

Is there someone who knows which is better (welding - baking) in the chances of finding work?
Welding pays more generally and there are plenty of jobs for trained welders in Canada.
I don't think you did fully understand my post...I said you can study English at government-sponsored Adult Education Centres for between $40-$60 per month. That is very affordable, even on your budget. It's the private language schools that are expensive.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Welding pays more generally and there are plenty of jobs for trained welders in Canada.
I don't think you did fully understand my post...I said you can study English at government-sponsored Adult Education Centres for between $40-$60 per month. That is very affordable, even on your budget. It's the private language schools that are expensive.
Thank you very much for your reply I did not know that
Do you have Web sites for these centers?
This will help me a lot and will save many expenses
especially we are 5 members

In fact
I still do not know if I can get a visa or not
Because some people told me
If every member of your family apply for a student visa
Probability of rejection will be high
Also must study things related to the field of study in the country of origin
But I'll try anyway
At least
Even if I failed
Or even if I went to Canada and I could not stay
I will try to use certificates will I get from Canada to find work in Europe or Australia

Quote:
Welding pays more generally

I do not care about the salary
But I want to find work for stability in Canada
And then
I can try to improve my life
But now
I set my goals
1-Go to Canada
2-Language Study
3-Study welding or baking
4-Trying to find work and residence

Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,252 times
Edit: this was written with regards to immigration, but since the OP wants to come on a student visa, this won't apply, as international students are required to prove their English knowledge before being accepted.

----------------------------

First off, there are settlement services for immigrants, including free language training:

Quote:
Free language training in Canada

The Government of Canada offers free language training across the country to all qualified adult permanent residents—not just people looking for work. The government works closely with provincial governments, school boards, community colleges and immigrant-serving organizations to provide this service.
Before you arrive: Prepare to move - Language assessment and training

When you arrive, find an immigrant settlement organisation, which will help you and your family with all aspects of settling, including language training. (What province are you planning to go to? - We could provide links if we knew your destination).

Second, welding is a highly regulated profession in Canada - meaning, you can't just start welding, you have to go through an apprenticeship period (3-4 years), before becoming a full-fledged welder (we call them journeymen/journeywomen). People either become apprentices right out of high school, or if older, finding an employer who would agree to take you as an apprentice. College course in welding is one of the way to become an apprentice. So it goes like this: 1 or 2 years in college -> 3 years as an apprentice -> an exam and you become a certified welder.

Actually, 52 skilled trades are certified in Canada, called Red Seals trades:

Red Seal Home / Red Seal

- the trades are listed on the right. However, if you click on each trade, there may be differences in which provinces require certification. For example, Cook should be certified in all of Canada, but Baker doesn't have to be certified in MB and SK.

It is still possible to find a job in a restaurant without ceritfication, as a cook helper, or a dishwasher. This is what I would do for a year if I were you - making money right away, while attending free language courses, as well as researching colleges in the area.

Last edited by nuala; 06-04-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada