Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:58 PM

8 posts, read 14,373 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from Greece and I want to study in Canada for a Bachelor in an Agriculture-related major. I don't know which one is better (for me, not in general).

I don't want very difficult courses.

I'm not very smart at chemisty, maths, or physics, but I'm good in Biology, and I like plants and growing crops, fruits and vegetables. However, I don't like animals very much especially pigs and cows.

As you may notice, English is not my first language, but I got 7.5 in IELTS (I don't know how!)

1- Which province in Canda is better in these fields?

2- What are the best universities or colleges in these fields? and why?

3- What about these universities: Dalhousie, Saskatechwan, and Alberta? (I know that Alberta is the best among them in general, but may be not neccessary the best for me.)

4- The easier the application is, the better.

5- The less foreign students there, the better. I prefer a college where a few international students study, so to be surrounded by native speakers of English. But this is not very important.

Please do not hesitate to answer in length and details, I will read and consider everything you will write.

Thank you,

Two more questions:

1- What is the main difference between Crop science and Horticulture science? aren't potatoe, tomato, onion, cucumber, etc. crops?

2- Which of these cities is relatively the warmest: Edmonton, Saskatoon, Halifax, or Toronto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 02:26 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,235 times
There are several excellent Ag. programs throughout Canada. There's a brief thread on here discussing some of them, which shouldn't be too far down the page. Both the U of Alberta and U of Saskatchewan have excellent programs. I can't speak with any authority on the others.

I would look at the surrounding farm economies of a city, if you're looking for a very narrow discipline. Generally, schools on the prairies will offer programs that are heavy in field crops, while I would expect a school in, say, central BC to offer a better program in regards to viniculture and orchard horticulture. Lab and field work, in particular, is affected by availability.

I would caution that you'll need to improve your chemistry, because there'll be a lot of it, unless you go into animal health or the economics side of things. Most programs will require at least a couple of straight chem courses (probably a basic chem and organic chem course) and a significant number of soils courses, which tend to be chemistry heavy.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:33 PM

291 posts, read 476,524 times
Stay in Greece. You should have no problem studying agriculture over there.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
https://admission.uoguelph.ca/templa...5-530b34cf5183

Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
I would say University of Guelph is Canada's premier agricultural university. U. Sask & U. of Alberta have good programs but Guelph is unique in that is basically a school designed for agricultural studies.

Guelph is a lovely, liberal minded city of about 120,000 and is only 80 km from Toronto and is on the commuter rail line. There is also a small campus near Chatham Ontario in a small town called Ridgetown {population 3,000}if you want to enjoy a learning environment in a rural area.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
You're not very smart. You don't want to study hard. Even the application to the college should be easy. You don't like animals.

Maybe you're better off staying at home and running a souvlaki stand.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenophile View Post

I don't want very difficult courses.

I'm not very smart at chemisty, maths, or physics, I don't like animals very much especially pigs and cows.

4- The easier the application is, the better.

2- Which of these cities is relatively the warmest: Edmonton, Saskatoon, Halifax, or Toronto?
College courses are difficult, they wont be giving it to you. If you just want to grow vegetables you dont really need a horticultural degree just a plot of land some gardening tools and some seeds.
Toronto area would be the warmer of the choices given

Old 06-04-2013, 05:55 AM

8 posts, read 14,373 times
Stubblejumper, mooguy & jambo101: Thank you for your helpful posts.

But what about Dalhousie? It seems that they have a good plant science program with many courses in horticulture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weltschmerz
You're not very smart. You don't want to study hard. Even the application to the college should be easy. You don't like animals.

Maybe you're better off staying at home and running a souvlaki stand.
Thank you for your politeness.

By the way, I would not love to praise myself, but according to my IQ scores (135), I am smarter than most people who score between 90 and 120. When I was in school, I was among the top 10 in my class, and in many years among the top 5. Just I don't like math and physics very much. Also because I am not a native speaker of English, I was afraid that it will be difficult to study in an English-speaking country, but I just realized that many Greeks, Italians, Turks, and even Middle easterners Arabs study there without problems. I'm sure that I am smarter than most of those sons of Sheikhs of Arabs who study in North America and Europe!

Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 AM

196 posts, read 424,503 times
If cereal crops and livestock are important to you, the University of Manitoba has one of the best agricultural programs in the country.

Plus, there is a good sized Greek community in Winnipeg, the cost of living is reasonable, and University tuition rates are quite reasonable.

If you want to focus more on vegetables, etc. then you're likely better looking at a US College somewhere where irrigated farming is very large business (usually someplace hotter like California or Texas).

Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 AM

You didnt say whether you were planning on staying in Canada or just coming for the schooling, either way theres some major bureaucracy that needs to be sorted out in advance .
Start here.Get a student work permit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada