U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,030 times

Advertisements

Hey all..

So it looks like I'm set up to move provinces very shortly. I have an offer for a position in Winnipeg, and training starts July 18th.

I don't drive.. so packing up a Uhaul is not an option.
I have been speaking with a lady about sharing her place for at least the first ten weeks while training.
The her place is furnished, and I am able to share all amenities, so for the first little while I'll be set. So long as those plans don't go awry.

My question for everyone is..

How do you plan for something like this? Assuming I can take two large suitcases on the plane (which I know will cost an arm and a leg for an extra one..) and one carry on.. I'm trying to figure out what to take. Obviously clothes come .. and toiletries.

For those of you that have done a long distance move.. what did you leave behind that you wish you'd brought? Or what things might not seem obvious? I'm not sure if I want to go ahead and try to sell all mystuff or wait until I'm through the training and see if I can handle being away from home.. or do I try to find a sublet and hope they don't destroy my place? Or... ??

As for moving extra stuff out.. I'd assumed Via would allow you to ship boxes/suitcases and parcels, but I can't find anything on their website indicating so. Aside from large moving companies, does anyone know of ways to ship out a suitcase or box of stuff here and there?
Any other advice?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM

377 posts, read 1,544,378 times
I can't really answer most of your questions, as I brought everything when we moved across the country. It was pretty simple really. Pack your stuff, call the moving company and have it unloaded at the new destination. It really wasn't much more complicated for us than moving a across the town.

The bigger challenge was researching daycares, employment, neighbourhoods and the like from another location.

For a box of stuff, just use a courier. Check UPS, Greyhound, FedEx and similar companies...

Old 06-07-2013, 07:24 AM

65 posts, read 181,192 times
I can attest to successfully using Greyhound in my younger years to move stuff (even a small futon mattress!) from Ontario to BC. You pay by weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada