Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

However, Canada does not exist because its neighbour is America. Canada exists and prospers in spite of America being its neighbour.

Existing and prospering are two different things. Canada does exist in spite of the U.S., but today it largely prospers because of the presence of the U.S., not in spite of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Well I think that is nonsensical propaganda too and I disagree with you, but you're entitled to your opiniion.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well I think that is nonsensical propaganda too and I disagree with you, but you're entitled to your opiniion.

How is existing and prospering being two different things nonsensical propaganda? What about that brief line he said is without sense or reason?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How is existing and prospering being two different things nonsensical propaganda? What about that brief line he said is without sense or reason?
Well it's like this you see. He said that existing and prospering are two different things and that Canada does exist in spite of the U.S. and I do agree with that because that's the truth and it's a repetition of what I'd already stated.

He also said that today Canada largely prospers because of the presence of the U.S., not in spite of it, and I do not agree with that. I think that is propaganda and to a certain extent I think it is brown-nosing, although I'm sure he doesn't see it that way. If the U.S. wasn't there Canada would still prosper and most likely be much more prosperous than it already is now. There are some ways in which U.S. presence has created impediments for Canada in its trade, social and political interactions with other countries. I don't like that. In many ways I think it's cool that Canada and U.S. are good allies and trade partners with each other but I also think it has its potential drawbacks because both countries now have a monopoly on each other and have become interdependent on each other. I don't like that either.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I can't help it if you find it annoying. I'm on the same site as you. No one was mad at you for the link--they just explained why they thought the methodology might have issues (as in heavily weighting having a high GDP per capita while weighing other measures to a lesser extent). They're just flabbergasted that you won't acknowledge that and that somehow criticizing a ranking system for its flaws amounts to other people being paranoid.
All methodologies have issues and flaws.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
The banking system still has British and Scottish values here in Canada...If someone starts a TRUST company they still take the word trust seriously. Our old guard bankers perhaps up until recently took social duty into serious consideration but that is slowly changing due to globalization and a creeping disloyalty on the banking and corporate scene.

Our system is still based on honor and service...but we are rapidly catching up to institutional corruption that has existed in America...Canada is changing and in time we will suffer the same as the rest of you...as they say - Once the founding father passes away the ideals and values of that corporation or bank eventually die with the founder...Upstarts take over who are driven by greed and who are lazy and suffer stupidity...what goes up comes down...and we here in Canada are about to take the ride down wards...We have governments that waste billions upon billions of dollars and the stern duty bound leaders of industry are dying off..there are no more caretakers left- but a rush of parasites are on their way to cannibalize Canada...it was nice while it lasted.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 AM

291 posts, read 476,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
All methodologies have issues and flaws.
Right, but some are more accurate than others. Surely comparing countries based on how they fare under a wide variety of aspects is more accurate than a single ranking that favors disproportionately economic issues and ignores many other aspects.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
Right, but some are more accurate than others. Surely comparing countries based on how they fare under a wide variety of aspects is more accurate than a single ranking that favors disproportionately economic issues and ignores many other aspects.
I'd say, you've to take at least 10 different composite statistics/indexes using various methodologies over a number of years in order to be able to have an "educated guess".

In addition, if I ,say, have lived in three different countries and I'm much better off,financially and otherwise, in one of them, which has a lower rating than the other two I've lived in, all those statistics will fast go to hell.

People manupilate statistics all the time. You can basically manipulate statistics to show that the US is the worst country in the world to live and provide statistical data to support it.

I don't want to argue. I want to contribute in a positive way. You now quoted my latest post with one short statement stating the obvious and yet you want to argue about it, saying something like: Yes, but...

Recently, you said to one poster, when he mentioned that the US is his home that his home is not the US but the building he lives in. I don't remember anybody on this forum saying something stupid like this. You just making yourself silly. I don't have any interest in shi* like this. Nor do I want to have an extended argument with you in multiple threads about the position of the US in various rankings. You have enough Americans on this forum who get offended with the shi* you post who want to argue with you.

Last thing, I think, if you were happy with your life in the country you live, you wouldn't spend hours on the internet, putting together all those statistics and countless negative posts with the only goal to put the US down in all threads with US name in them.

I've a question to you: If you, say, want to go to a psychologist/psychiatrist for an evaluation, would the health care system in your country cover the cost?

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-18-2013 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 AM

291 posts, read 476,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I'd say, you've to take at least 10 different composite statistics/indexes using various methodologies over a number of years in order to be able to have an "educated guess".

In addition, if I ,say, have lived in three different countries and I'm much better off,financially and otherwise, in one of them, which has a lower rating than the other two I've lived in, all those statistics will fast go to hell.
Statistics are based on the average person, not every single individual. You can be live happily in a crappy country, even a developing country, depending on your job. That doesn't make that country any less crappy for most people.
Quote:
People manupilate statistics all the time. You can basically manipulate statistics to show that the US is the worst country in the world to live and provide statistical data to support it.
Manipulating statistics how? I'm not changing data, just providing all of it.
Quote:
I don't want to argue. I want to contribute in a positive way. You now quoted my latest post with one short statement stating the obvious and yet you want to argue about it, saying something like: Yes, but...
My reply was made in the context of the indexes we were talking about here. Context is everything.
Quote:

Recently, you said to one poster, when he mentioned that the US is his home that his home is not the US but the building he lives in. I don't remember anybody on this forum saying something stupid like this. You just making yourself silly.
Why is that? A country is too big and diverse a place for someone to call it "home." Furthermore, there are countries where the difference between North and South (e.g. Italy) or East and West (e.g. Germany) are day and night. Patriotism is what's stupid. Defending an entire country based on your personal experience in a very limited environment inside it is what's silly.
Quote:

Last thing, I think, if you were happy with your life in the country you live, you wouldn't spend hours on the internet, putting together all those statistics and countless negative posts with the only goal to put the US down in all threads with US name in them.
I never said I was happy with the country I live in. It sucks just as much as the US, possibly even more in some regards. Though my home is alright.
I just like statistics, and I don't post in US threads only. The US just happens to be an easy target, or at least currently of interest to me.
Quote:
I've a question to you: If you, say, want to go to a psychologist/psychiatrist for an evaluation, would the health care system in your country cover the cost?
Mmm, probably most of it, but I'm not sure it'd cover foreigners like you. I think maybe I could act as your sponsor or pretend to be a relative.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM

See in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post

A country is too big and diverse a place for someone to call it "home." Patriotism is what's stupid It has nothing to do with patriotism. When I'm asked where I come from, I'm not saying that I'm from that building. I'm saying what country I'm from. Or is the usage of the expression "home" is what confuses you?

Furthermore, there are countries where the difference between North and South (e.g. Italy) or East and West (e.g. Germany) are day and night. Defending an entire country is what's silly. Yet criticizing the whole country is OK, right? It is exactly what you're doing when you provide your statistics, generalizing about entire country geographycally much bigger than Germany, Italy, UK and France together, where states have great autonomy. Washington State and Colorado just legalized marijuana which is illegal on the federal level. There is universal health care in the state of Massacussetts. Some states legalized gay marriage and in other states gay marriages are illegal. Economies and living standards in various states are entirely different....

What United States states are you talking about when you post your statistics? Those where unemployment rate is 6% or those where unemployment rate is 12%? Yet, in your statistics, there is "only" one unemployment rate, the one on the country level.

You're talking about "my building is my home" and what is outside of my door is not a "home" anymore. Do you sometimes say: "In MY country...? Or you always say: "In the country I live"?

I never said I was happy with the country I live in. It sucks just as much as the US, possibly even more in some regards. Well, what you just said is a big surprise. Judging by what you post, nothing can suck as much as the US.

I just like statistics... I already realized that.

The US just happens to be an easy target I'm sure it is.

Mmm, probably most of it, but I'm not sure it'd cover foreigners like you. I think maybe I could act as your sponsor or pretend to be a relative. Pretend to be my relative or sponsor? Thank you, I'm very touched. I din't ask for me personally, but now that you offer, I'm thinking, why the hell not?

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-18-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada