U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 PM
 
1,701 posts, read 1,994,094 times
Reputation: 1027

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
The fact that companies are not people, and therefore don't have nationality. A corporation cannot commit treason.
Mountains and rivers cannot commit treason either. You dodged the main point.

Quote:
What the owners and workers think is irrelevant. Reality is what matters. Until companies have a legal responsibility to be loyal to a country the way citizens do, they don't have nationality.
And the reality is that Blackberry is Canadian and BMW is German.

Quote:
The fact that he got into Stanford in the first place means he was already highly competent. We do not know whether or not the would've developed a similar technology in Germany. That's pure speculation.
But you did hide the fact that he went to Stanford and CMU. He was in an American environment when he came up with Google X

Quote:
Actually, it's called idiocy. There's no evolutionary purpose whatsoever in being altruistic towards a bunch of people whom you don't know merely based on the fact that they happen to have the same citizenship, a manmade concept. Humans didn't get this far by caring about everyone, certainly not by being nationalistic.
I recommend you take Biology 101 and read-up altruism. Humans got this far precisely because of things like society and nationality (which is a form of society).

Quote:
That is incredibly stupid. There's no reason why you would feel "proud" that a bunch of people who have absolutely nothing to do with you achieve something. The reason why you feel happy when a sports team wins a game is because they entertain you and that's why you want them to win.
I am not sure why that is stupid? If I am interested in medical rx and someone from my city/ university comes up with the cure for cancer I automatically feel happy. It is not like I am forcing myself. And I know everyone feels that way.

BlueJays and Yankees both entertain me. Yet, I am happy when BlueJays win.

Quote:
Hahahaha, so you're saying that since most people are irrational, it's ok for you to be too?
Seems like you get pleasure out of misquoting me. That's not what I said.

Quote:
Love is a chemical reaction that cannot be controlled. Hence it can hardly be called irrational (although people can do some pretty stupid things in the name of "love").
Kindness is not irrational if it makes you feel good.
Charity is not always irrational, depending on the kind and purpose why it's done.
If Love is a chemical reaction, then the pleasure I feel if someone in Toronto finds the cure for cancer is also a chemical reaction. Heck everything we feel is a chemical reaction. So what is your point?
Kindness and Charity are closely related to altruism which you just labelled "stupid" and "irrational". I suggest you read about it before arguing about it here ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,092,794 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I don't care about conventions. I'm talking about reality.




I was talking about materials, but components. There's a difference between glass and a certain type of battery or processor.


I'm not negating their innovation. I'm saying it's reliant on many other innovations, from a number of other countries, hence it's not really "American" or "German" or "Swiss."

It's only considered an American company because it's HQ are currently in the US. But it does not belong to the US, nor does it not have permission to move. Hence, rather than being an American company, it's simply a company with its HQ in America. In a free market, companies do not have nationalities.

But we've just discussed how the ideas don't always come from people within the geographical borders of that country. And how it's silly to say that those idea start belonging to a certain nationality if they are implemented in a certain nation.

Nationality itself is merely a human construct designed to ensure the financial and social stability of a group of people within an internationally recognized geographical location. The nationality of people, companies, or products is ultimately irrelevant.

Ideas come from people, regardless of nationality. Assigning a nationality to everything is just patriotic BS designed to instigate irrational pride in people.

Oooh, BMW is German, and I'm German, so although I have absolutely nothing to do with BMW at all, I'm proud of being German and of BMW!




Except this doesn't apply just to America, but to all nations.
That made almost no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2013, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,092,794 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Mountains and rivers cannot commit treason either. You dodged the main point.


And the reality is that Blackberry is Canadian and BMW is German.


But you did hide the fact that he went to Stanford and CMU. He was in an American environment when he came up with Google X


I recommend you take Biology 101 and read-up altruism. Humans got this far precisely because of things like society and nationality (which is a form of society).


I am not sure why that is stupid? If I am interested in medical rx and someone from my city/ university comes up with the cure for cancer I automatically feel happy. It is not like I am forcing myself. And I know everyone feels that way.

BlueJays and Yankees both entertain me. Yet, I am happy when BlueJays win.


Seems like you get pleasure out of misquoting me. That's not what I said.


If Love is a chemical reaction, then the pleasure I feel if someone in Toronto finds the cure for cancer is also a chemical reaction. Heck everything we feel is a chemical reaction. So what is your point?
Kindness and Charity are closely related to altruism which you just labelled "stupid" and "irrational". I suggest you read about it before arguing about it here ...
You must spread reputation around before giving it to sandman again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 PM
 
457 posts, read 507,417 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
One of my big dissapointments with Obama is that he hasn't really fixed the economy. And that leads me to Canada. Just how different are the canadian and American economies. On the surface it seems to be the same, unemployment is about 7.6% in both countries. And yet I get the impression that canada has a better quality of life. So I figured I'd ask you all some questions.

1. Is college much more expensive for local students in canada than for local students in America?
2. How much debt do college students graduate with on average in Canada?
3. How hard is it to find a good job in Canada once you've graduated from college?
4 How stable is the job once you've found it? Do employers frequently layoff workers like the do in America?
If you're Canadian-born and raised elsewhere (like say in the US) you will find that you can't really get a job back in Canada in any of the provinces anyone wants to LIVE in, with your US educational credentials because they will insist on Canadian education, Canadian work experience, and more importantly than education or skills, Canadian REFERENCES.

Now, the Territories may be the only exceptions to this.

As First Nations, I'll just say that the only thing better about the Canadian quality of life is the health care that's free if you can't pay, if you wind up on Social Assistance just because in spite of multiple college degrees from "good" US universities, no one wants to hire you just because you show up to the interview as First Nations (i.e. Brown Skinned) that's guaranteed.

I will also say this. I do remember this much about Quebec - once you found a job in spite of being English speaking, it was slightly harder to just get sacked for no reason than it would be down here. But Quebec is hardly representative of "all of Canada" in spite of what Quebec likes to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
 
2,288 posts, read 3,932,287 times
Reputation: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
If you're Canadian-born and raised elsewhere (like say in the US) you will find that you can't really get a job back in Canada in any of the provinces anyone wants to LIVE in, with your US educational credentials because they will insist on Canadian education, Canadian work experience, and more importantly than education or skills, Canadian REFERENCES.
This is completely false if you're talking about jobs that require college degrees. Firms that hire professionals don't give a damn if your educational pedigree or references aren't Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,166 posts, read 1,750,098 times
Reputation: 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
If you're Canadian-born and raised elsewhere (like say in the US) you will find that you can't really get a job back in Canada in any of the provinces anyone wants to LIVE in, with your US educational credentials because they will insist on Canadian education, Canadian work experience, and more importantly than education or skills, Canadian REFERENCES.
Nonsense. Canadian employers recognize American educational credentials. Northwestern, Princeton, UCLA, and similar, sure. The Hollywood Upstairs Medical Academy, not so much. If you plan to go to a US school and work in Canada, make sure that your school is one that is recognized by Canada.

Just because I'm curious: what are the provinces that nobody wants to LIVE in? I've been to each province, and pretty much everybody I've met is happy to be LIVING in that province.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top