U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,996,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
One of my big dissapointments with Obama is that he hasn't really fixed the economy. And that leads me to Canada. Just how different are the canadian and American economies. On the surface it seems to be the same, unemployment is about 7.6% in both countries. And yet I get the impression that canada has a better quality of life. So I figured I'd ask you all some questions.
Well, you have to be extremely naive to compare the US and Canadian economies. One is a country of ~300 million while the other is a country of ~30 million. They have almost nothing in common.

And why are you so disappointed with the US economy? You should not worry about temporary and ever fluctuating metrics like unemployment. Maybe you watch CNN too much. Look at the US economy in terms of output and you will very soon realize that it is greatest economy in the world.
US Economy Output (all very recent):
- World changing modern inventions like the Computer, GPS and Internet
- Almost all the world's TOP tech companies: Google, Microsoft, Apple
- Leader is medical research. Almost all innovations in medicine happen in the USA (e.g. sequenced genome)
- Best universities doing the best research in the world (most Nobel Laureates)
- Leader in space technology (sent man to the moon)
- Unparalleled military technology
- Huge defense budget that keeps the world safe (e.g. Jun 14, 2013 ---> All countries came to US to stop genocide in Syria). Also allows huge amounts of foreign aid.

This list can go on! And you have to realize that most of the things listed above have been shared with the world. For example, 'the computer and internet revolution' in the USA spread to the entire world. All innovations in medicine in the USA benefit non-Americans as well. The movies made in Hollywood are seen world over.

It is easy to attack the US for the bad that it might have done. But they don't seem to get enough credit for all the good ..... and for making the world a better place.

And it is the US economy that will create conditions that will allow people/ companies to solve many of the technical challenges facing us in the 21st century: like solving energy crisis, curing diseases like cancer, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 PM

22,154 posts, read 23,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Bro...when i first read your post i thought there was going to be a major difference between american and Canadian unemployment rates, but leave it to you to to do something like that...this is exactly what it says on the website you listed "gap would be almost two percentage points if the Canadian rate was measured in the same way as the American" lol only 2 percentage points...your insane.
For me, reading this post did a good job of explaining America's higher unemployment rate.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM

18,282 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Quote:
NO NO in what it lags behind with developed countries. Just keep this in mind...Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I find that strange link strange because this org found a slightly different result:

Where to go for the best quality of life in the world. - Best countries to live in - Savings & Debt: Gallery - Money - MSN CA

based on a 2013 study by the Organization of Economic Cooperation Development.

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 03:57 PM

371 posts, read 984,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
1. Is college much more expensive for local students in canada than for local students in America?
2. How much debt do college students graduate with on average in Canada?
----------------
You tell me. My niece recently graduated from McGill medical school and is working as a resident in pediatrics. The grand total of her education was around $27,500.
How much does it cost for a medical degree from a prestigious university in the US?
I haven't seen in any adds lately, but the U of Manitoba and U. of Winnipeg (use to?) advertise the fact Manitoba has a tuition reciprocity agreement with Minnesota.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 PM

18,282 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
I haven't seen in any adds lately, but the U of Manitoba and U. of Winnipeg (use to?) advertise the fact Manitoba has a tuition reciprocity agreement with Minnesota.
I fervently wish more of that interchange stuff would happen.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,723,856 times
Is the Grading Scale in Canada any different than the Grading Scale in the US?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,098,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You're*
LOL i know, i never re read what i post.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For me, reading this post did a good job of explaining America's higher unemployment rate.
OyCrumber thankyou for pointing out the obvious. I love how your always quoting my posts just to say stuff i already know or stuff i could care less about just so you can type big words and seem smart.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I find that strange link strange because this org found a slightly different result:

Where to go for the best quality of life in the world. - Best countries to live in - Savings & Debt: Gallery - Money - MSN CA

based on a 2013 study by the Organization of Economic Cooperation Development.
They might've had a little different criteria, i honestly have no clue.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,936,191 times
Quote:
They might've had a little different criteria, i honestly have no clue.
The biggest factor by far in the Numbeo link you've posted is purchasing power, and the US does extremely well on that (2nd in the world after Qatar). The OECD index (better link here) uses a bunch of equal-weighted variables, of which (PPP-adjusted) income is only one factor. Either ranking is entirely dependent on the weights you put on each factor, i.e. what important factors are to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or