U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 AM
 
18,396 posts, read 10,457,104 times
Reputation: 13451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I agree. He's a Canadian citizen; did the Canadian government do anything, in terms of assistance, checking on his welfare while imprisoned in Guantanamo, verifying the circumstances of his arrest, or protesting the imprisonment of a child without due process? I will have to read more about it, but as has been noted many times, confessions in Guantanamo were regularly obtained under extreme torture, as attested to by survivors, former personnel, and U.S. government reports.

Omar Khadr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Khadr Case Resources Page | Bora Laskin Law Library

Omar Khadr | Amnesty International Canada

Our safety trumps Omar Khadr's charm | Editorial | Opinion | Calgary Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 AM
 
1,701 posts, read 2,003,597 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I agree. He's a Canadian citizen; did the Canadian government do anything, in terms of assistance, checking on his welfare while imprisoned in Guantanamo, verifying the circumstances of his arrest, or protesting the imprisonment of a child without due process? I will have to read more about it, but as has been noted many times, confessions in Guantanamo were regularly obtained under extreme torture, as attested to by survivors, former personnel, and U.S. government reports.
I am getting tired of people harping about the fact that Khadr was Canadian. The fact that he was Canadian actually make his crimes even WORSE!

His being born in Toronto does not change the fact that he (1) made grenades and (2) hurled grenades at a soldier. In fact it makes him a traitor since he waged a war against his own people and country Canada!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 AM
 
10,357 posts, read 8,016,515 times
Reputation: 4548
As the United Nations has noted it's a war crime to begin with to treat a child soldier as a combatant, and not a victim. According to some reports, there were children as young as age 13 in Guantanamo.

Also, Kadhr is up for parole in 2014, but it is highly unlikely he will get parole and be released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM
 
1,701 posts, read 2,003,597 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
BruSan, are you trying to somehow justify the jailing without due process of a Canadian citizen who is a child? And are you saying that a Canadian citizen somehow should never return to their country of birth for an extended visit or even to live there again? The law disagrees with you on that point - a citizen is free to leave at any time, and does not give up his citizenship by doing so. That being said, we are talking about a CHILD here. By your logic, it's okay to jail a child for a decade without a fair trial.
Are you writing things here just for the heck of it? No-one on this forum implied any of the things you said. I have been saying over and over again that the Supreme Court of Canada after reviewing the case stated that the government had treated Khadr illegally!

Canada did bring him back and even according to Canadian Law he received a rather mild sentence. He is due for parole in 2013 ---this year! Now before you jump on me about the 10-years at Guantanamo, read my other posts about U.S. and international law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
 
1,701 posts, read 2,003,597 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
As the United Nations has noted it's a war crime to begin with to treat a child soldier as a combatant, and not a victim. According to some reports, there were children as young as age 13 in Guantanamo.

Also, Kadhr is up for parole in 2014, but it is highly unlikely he will get parole and be released.
Keep cherry-picking U.N. statements. What did U.N. say about the 8 to 11-year old child suicide bombers that are used by the Taliban to kill women and children in crowded marketplaces in Pakistan and Afghanistan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM
 
10,357 posts, read 8,016,515 times
Reputation: 4548

How do you counter the evidence in the links I provided?

Did you read any of the hundreds of documents in your first link? Or the Amnesty International statement? Most of them support what I am saying. Like this 2007 open letter to Stephen Harper from over a 100 academics, mostly law professors, and more than a dozen current or former Parlimentarians such as:

Honourable Lloyd Axworthy

Honourable Ed Broadbent

Rt. Honourable Joe Clark

Honourable Bill Graham

Honourable Flora MacDonald

Honourable Pierre Pettigrew

Honourable Jack Layton

http://www.law.utoronto.ca/documents...OpenLetter.pdf

As they wrote in 2007:

"Every other ally of the United States, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Australia, has acted to protect their citizens detained at Guantánamo Bay. Each of these states has succeeded in repatriating its citizens and, in the case of Germany and the UK,permanent resident non-citizens. In all cases except that of Australian David Hicks, the country of citizenship undertook to investigate whether its citizen had committed any war crimes, crimes against humanity, or violations of domestic criminal law.

We urge the Canadian government to follow the precedent of other US allies and insist on the repatriation of Khadr."

Which ultimately did happen buy only after 11 years of confinement.

Last edited by ellemint; 06-12-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
 
10,357 posts, read 8,016,515 times
Reputation: 4548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Are you writing things here just for the heck of it? No-one on this forum implied any of the things you said. I have been saying over and over again that the Supreme Court of Canada after reviewing the case stated that the government had treated Khadr illegally!

Canada did bring him back and even according to Canadian Law he received a rather mild sentence. He is due for parole in 2013 ---this year! Now before you jump on me about the 10-years at Guantanamo, read my other posts about U.S. and international law.
As I've already stated, he is due for parole review in 2014; it is highly unlikely he will be paroled and released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM
 
10,357 posts, read 8,016,515 times
Reputation: 4548
As was argued before the Supreme Court in 2009 by the following organizations (all of whom had access to far more documentation than you or I), Omar Khadr's rights were violated in many ways including:

"In particular, the decision to interrogate a minor, held in prolonged, incommunicado detention without charge, in the absence of counsel or support, and with knowledge of prior abuse and mistreatment, breached Canada’s international human rights obligations under the Convention on the Rights of the Child (“CRC”), the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (“ICCPR”) and the Convention Against Torture (“CAT”), all of which Canada has ratified."

- AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL (CANADA SECTION, ENGLISH BRANCH),

- HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH,

-UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO FACULTY OF LAW-INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS
PROGRAM, AND THE DAVID ASPER CENTRE FOR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS,

- THE CANADIAN COALITION FOR THE RIGHTS OF CHILDREN AND JUSTICE FOR CHILDREN
AND YOUTH,

- THE BRITISH COLUMBIA CIVIL LIBERTIES ASSOCIATION,

- THE CRIMINAL LAWYERS’ ASSOCIATION (ONTARIO),

- THE CANADIAN BAR ASSOCIATION,

- LES AVOCATS SANS FRONTIERES CANADA, BARREAU DU QUEBEC ET GROUPE D’ETUDE EN DROITS ET
LIBERTES DE LA FACULTE DE DROIT DE L’UNIVERSITE LAVAL,

- THE CANADIAN CIVIL LIBERTIES ASSOCATION

- THE NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR THE PROTECTION OF
CANADIANS ABROAD



http://www.law.utoronto.ca/documents..._Factum-UT.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM
 
18,396 posts, read 10,457,104 times
Reputation: 13451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
How do you counter the evidence in the links I provided?

Did you read any of the hundreds of documents in your first link? Or the Amnesty International statement? Most of them support what I am saying. Like this 2007 open letter to Stephen Harper from over a 100 academics, mostly law professors, and more than a dozen current or former Parlimentarians such as:

Honourable Lloyd Axworthy

Honourable Ed Broadbent

Rt. Honourable Joe Clark

Honourable Bill Graham

Honourable Flora MacDonald

Honourable Pierre Pettigrew

Honourable Jack Layton

http://www.law.utoronto.ca/documents...OpenLetter.pdf

As they wrote in 2007:

"Every other ally of the United States, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Australia, has acted to protect their citizens detained at Guantánamo Bay. Each of these states has succeeded in repatriating its citizens and, in the case of Germany and the UK,permanent resident non-citizens. In all cases except that of Australian David Hicks, the country of citizenship undertook to investigate whether its citizen had committed any war crimes, crimes against humanity, or violations of domestic criminal law.

We urge the Canadian government to follow the precedent of other US allies and insist on the repatriation of Khadr."

Which ultimately did happen buy only after 11 years of confinement.
You're entirely missing my point!

My point is: I don't give a crap!

You were saying you were not informed enough about the case and I posted links to make information available to you. THAT IS ALL!

I could have cherry picked from any number of links to sites proclaiming his guilt but chose instead to just post links to sites that would serve to show you that he was more than adequately represented and very ably defended. So endeth my concern.

Far from being a partisan, politically correct, apologist; read my lips once again: I don't give a crap!

I have repeated ad-nauseum, and been ignored it would seem, that IN SPITE of the facts regarding this young cretin; I am not one of the politically correct crowd, all moaning about the mistreatment of this lad.

He was of the same age as some veterans of two world wars were when they lied about their age to join their confreres in either of those huge conflicts. They fought, they were injured, they were taken prisoner, they were mistreated, or they simply died in battle but; NONE of them would ever have expected to be able to stoop to using their age as a disclaimer for their choice!

Now once again: stop trying to entice me to admit to something and also stop trying to infuse me with a sense of either guilt or embarrassment at my stated position because you are wasting your typing skills.

I don't give a crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,712 posts, read 6,571,204 times
Reputation: 8233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I am getting tired of people harping about the fact that Khadr was Canadian. The fact that he was Canadian actually make his crimes even WORSE!

His being born in Toronto does not change the fact that he (1) made grenades and (2) hurled grenades at a soldier. In fact it makes him a traitor since he waged a war against his own people and country Canada!
Newsflash - many immigrants and children of immigrants have dual loyalties. Unless we want to be an ass backward, barbaric country with a death penalty, a country that treats children in the criminal system the same as adults, the fact is that Canadians come in all shapes and sizes, good and bad, and being a bad Canadian doesn't affect the 'Canadian' part of it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top