U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM

22,137 posts, read 23,648,900 times

Advertisements

I've come across articles about many Spaniards and Portuguese immigrating in large numbers to major cities in Latin America, and I'm curious as to whether English and French speaking parts of Canada are also seeing surges. Ireland seems to be hit pretty hard, and since they're an English-speaking people, it seems like Canada would be a reasonable destination. France seems to not be doing too great either, so are there now a lot more people from France headed to major cities in Quebec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
With the tough immigration laws in the United States you would think many would be going to Canada or Australia.
I've only heard a lot of Spaniards and Greeks are moving to Germany.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Immigration is not such an easy decision, plus Canada's economy is not particularly strong either.

Ask yourself, if you lose your job here, will you decide to move to the UK, France or Australia if economy is slightly better? And it is not exactly as easy as Greeks moving to Germany.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 PM

21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Migration from France to Quebec was very modest in the 60s, 70s and 80s but really picked up over the last 20 years or so. Things appear to be remaining steady and I have not noticed an upsurge. But one thing I have noticed is the "discourse" of immigrants from France has changed, and they do seem to be a bit more negative about their homeland. A lot of them refer to the situation in France as "hopeless" these days.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
There have been many German, Russian, and Russian German immigrants in my corner of the world but it's not related to the economy in their countries of origin. Many of the Russian-Germans immigrated to Germany when they were originally welcomed after the Soviet Union collapsed. When Manitoba actively solicited immigrants from Germany, given that in my corner of the world many people already speak German, many of them immigrated here. And there's quite a few Germans that have kind of romantic ideas about the great open spaces that Canada is known for. We've always had trickles of German immigration, it is only that it really sped up in the last fifteen years.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:34 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I've come across articles about many Spaniards and Portuguese immigrating in large numbers to major cities in Latin America, and I'm curious as to whether English and French speaking parts of Canada are also seeing surges. Ireland seems to be hit pretty hard, and since they're an English-speaking people, it seems like Canada would be a reasonable destination. France seems to not be doing too great either, so are there now a lot more people from France headed to major cities in Quebec?
I've read about a modest uptick in Irish immigration in a few articles, but that was few years ago at the height of the recession, not sure if it's gone back down or if it's just not news anymore. We have immigrants from so many places I don't think people much notice if there's been an uptick in one nationality or another arriving.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,564,883 times
I think tht maybe the Niagara region is different in this regard from most of Canada. We have alway been a destination for European Immigrants. While the rest of the country seems to attract Asians ans others we get a lot of Euros here. I was talking to a Greek woman yesterday who is bringing the rest of her family here right now. We have many Serbs coming here and other south Europeans. We don't have a lot of visible minorities though they are welcome to come.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:21 PM

196 posts, read 342,216 times
My observations have been that Irish immigrants still prefer the US as a destination vs. Canada.

Also agree with netwit's assessment of German immigration. There continues to be an influx into Manitoba - both from Europe, and also from South/Central America where some of the Mennonites settled after leaving Europe in the 1800-1900's.

The one striking change in European immigration I've seen is the increase in Eastern European Immigrants, specifically Russians. Due to the obvious restrictions in the 1945-1989 immigration, there were vey few Soviet Bloc immigrants in Canada - unless they jumped a fence or were smuggled out, they couldn't get out.

Most interesting to see an increased presence in rural areas as well - many new Canadians tend to migrate to the cities. Russians, you can find them everywhere, and they are not as city-centric.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
My observations have been that Irish immigrants still prefer the US as a destination vs. Canada.

Also agree with netwit's assessment of German immigration. There continues to be an influx into Manitoba - both from Europe, and also from South/Central America where some of the Mennonites settled after leaving Europe in the 1800-1900's.

The one striking change in European immigration I've seen is the increase in Eastern European Immigrants, specifically Russians. Due to the obvious restrictions in the 1945-1989 immigration, there were vey few Soviet Bloc immigrants in Canada - unless they jumped a fence or were smuggled out, they couldn't get out.

Most interesting to see an increased presence in rural areas as well - many new Canadians tend to migrate to the cities. Russians, you can find them everywhere, and they are not as city-centric.
It's refreshing not to hear complaints about our winters from the Russians. All I have ever seen or heard is a big smile, and a "Just like in Siberia!"

Old 06-14-2013, 11:40 AM

171 posts, read 231,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not sure about Canada. There are a lot more Spanish in London UK now.
A few years ago, it was all Polish immigrants, now it's all Spanish. There is no work for them in Spain so they have to go somewhere...

I hear a lot of French are trying to get jobs in Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or