Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

So maybe here is something we can all agree on - what do we do about the Senate? Give them all a fair trial and shoot them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 04:14 AM

103 posts, read 169,669 times
The issue is not so much the Senate but how much they make and the benefits what i would like to see is reduce there pay from $130,000 to $60,000 as for living costs what the Feds could do is work with a local company and build a condo no longer will you get paid for living costs but we will give you a condo if you need it this would cut down of abuse big time.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:16 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
The Senate could very well be the issue as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry but I have no clue what true value this "appointed" not "elected" group of crony henchmen really do for this country. They are paid to do what exactly? If they really have something to offer, they could work as part of government commitees to lend their expertise on various issues of the day. It's only the typical complacency on the part of the Canadian taxpaying public that has allowed this non-elected entity to exist this long in its current form. They should either be elected officials who add value or be abolished.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
The Senate could very well be the issue as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry but I have no clue what true value this "appointed" not "elected" group of crony henchmen really do for this country. They are paid to do what exactly? If they really have something to offer, they could work as part of government commitees to lend their expertise on various issues of the day. It's only the typical complacency on the part of the Canadian taxpaying public that has allowed this non-elected entity to exist this long in its current form. They should either be elected officials who add value or be abolished.
What scares me with the idea of getting rid of it the Senate is we would see more Mp's.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,040 times
The Senate should be elected or abolished. I see no purpose for it other than as a pasture for fattened cows to gorge on our dime. It is the absolute embodiment of greed, entitlement, and waste, things that we all agree need to end.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
I'm not totally convinced that it should be abolished completely. I can see the appeal of a second chamber to re-evaluate some of the nonsense that the house of commons spits out.

That said, the current incarnation is clearly unacceptable. I think, if it is to be saved, the format has to completely change. Elected senators, proportionally representing regions of the country (maybe 24 from each of the West, Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces, 3 from each of the territories) might be feasible.

I think the CPC would be wise to be working on this, too. Public opinion is vehemently against the senate. They've championed reform (though not outright abolition) for years. The NDP wants to abolish it completely - it would be prudent to beat them to the punch, rather than having to defend the institution and table reforms instead. Right now seems an excellent time to make a move.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I'm not totally convinced that it should be abolished completely. I can see the appeal of a second chamber to re-evaluate some of the nonsense that the house of commons spits out.

That said, the current incarnation is clearly unacceptable. I think, if it is to be saved, the format has to completely change. Elected senators, proportionally representing regions of the country (maybe 24 from each of the West, Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces, 3 from each of the territories) might be feasible.

I think the CPC would be wise to be working on this, too. Public opinion is vehemently against the senate. They've championed reform (though not outright abolition) for years. The NDP wants to abolish it completely - it would be prudent to beat them to the punch, rather than having to defend the institution and table reforms instead. Right now seems an excellent time to make a move.
The thing is is the Cpc was to say we want to get rid of it that on its own would take some time to do you can't do it asap it would be more for down the road they could say as of 2018 it will be no longer.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
How exactly did it happen that Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin were named to the Senate? I remember thinking it was very, very odd back then. And then there's that double irony, about two former reporters being two of the biggest pigs at the trough when they should have known so much better.

I read a few articles on Mike Duffy and he claims in an interview to "know where all the bodies are buried" but "would never say a word." That is particularly odd for a reporter. Did he get appointed because he knew where some particular body was buried?

Every time I see that guy on TV now I want to poke my eyes out.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
The thing is is the Cpc was to say we want to get rid of it that on its own would take some time to do you can't do it asap it would be more for down the road they could say as of 2018 it will be no longer.
No, it can't be abolished nor reformed immediately, but it is an issue that can be addressed immediately. There's been a lot of talk about it, but so far no actual proposals have been put forward. I think it would be a prudent political move to put something substantial on the table before others beat them to the punch.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
How exactly did it happen that Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin were named to the Senate? I remember thinking it was very, very odd back then. And then there's that double irony, about two former reporters being two of the biggest pigs at the trough when they should have known so much better.

I read a few articles on Mike Duffy and he claims in an interview to "know where all the bodies are buried" but "would never say a word." That is particularly odd for a reporter. Did he get appointed because he knew where some particular body was buried?

Every time I see that guy on TV now I want to poke my eyes out.
Exactly! Who are these people? What are their qualifications? We know the Senate has no real power and is a group of crony appointees but what do they really do for the taxpayer?

I have no idea why Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin are senators! What about that old Rod Zimmer prancing around with that 20 something year old wife? What about Patrik Brazeau getting charged with sexual assault? Now this Mac Harb may owe a quarter of a million dollars to the taxpayers? WTF...

I'm randomly looking at names of current senators on the net, let me pick some random names:

Vernon White - Chief of Police for the Durham Regional police
Asah Seth - A doctor from India who founded some non-profit organization I never heard of
Don Plett - owns a plumbing supply business in Manitoba before starting to campaign for CPC
Terry Mercer - a career administrator/fundaiser for various charities before doing the same for the Liberal party
Joseph Day - a liberal from New Brunswick who did nothing but lose several elections
Nancy Greene - a champion skier

I'm not degrading these people as people, nor am I saying they have no talent, but they do not seem like they have the education, experience and abilities to help manage the affairs of this nation. If someone has some knowledgeable view to share on how these people make our country better and how they earn their keep, I'd love to hear it because I just don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada