U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:04 PM

329 posts, read 794,058 times

Advertisements

It seems that kids in Canada get out the last Friday in June. In the states it is earlier in June but they go back at the same time. Is this too short? Yes it is only a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 PM

15,837 posts, read 10,043,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
It seems that kids in Canada get out the last Friday in June. In the states it is earlier in June but they go back at the same time. Is this too short? Yes it is only a few weeks.
Most kids in the US go back mid-August or the 3rd week in August - that's why late August is a great time for Canadians to go to DisneyWorld. I'm now in the US and can't get used to kids going back before Labour Day and the CNE.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:35 PM

489 posts, read 1,052,045 times
It really depend where in the US. I know when I lived in Nashville, the kids got out of school in near the end May and went back in mid August.

My Cousins in New York/ New Jersey got out near the end of June, and go back after labour day. I think the difference was a week.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:59 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,097,261 times
some schools are all year round in america.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 PM

I remember always getting out in early June and I see these kids still going to school. I feel kind of sorry for them lol. I am sure they are just used to it.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
some schools are all year round in america.

I think there is something to the concept of going all year with short breaks in the summer. It would probably be easier for the parents too. They could take their vacation from work when the kids take theirs.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:55 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,964,893 times
The summer holidays are important for children. It lets them run around and play outdoors with their friends for two months every year. Children need that. I remember seing an advertisement on television about how this generation of children has a lower life expectancy than their parents due to a lack of exercise. Quite frightening to think about.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:14 AM

103 posts, read 138,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The summer holidays are important for children. It lets them run around and play outdoors with their friends for two months every year. Children need that. I remember seing an advertisement on television about how this generation of children has a lower life expectancy than their parents due to a lack of exercise. Quite frightening to think about.
The key is exercise walk down your street it would be hard pressed to find many kids running or even outside at all.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:00 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,964,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
The key is exercise walk down your street it would be hard pressed to find many kids running or even outside at all.
The parents are at fault on this matter. Exercise shouldn't be simply encouraged, it should be expected. They should have their children walk to and from school every day. If they're young and their parents are worried about them, they can do it in a group. They can sign their children up for sports or send them to the YMCA. If they live in the country, have them help their parents out on the farm. Treat exercise like a chore one makes their children do if one must. Exercise is essential to a child's health.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:44 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,493,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The problem isn't the lack of summer breaks (when I as a kid watched way too much TV). The problem is the suburbs making it impossible for them to get anywhere remotely close to them on their own, and not being encouraged to go out and explore the world on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or