U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 AM

3,082 posts, read 3,175,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusBoss View Post
Both great, lets look at positives and ditch the negatives
Can't always do that when it affects your daily life

Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 AM

8,608 posts, read 11,106,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Good luck with this thread.

Not many Canadians here know what its like to live in the United States.
Let me know when you get here. In Minny, they aspire to be Green Bay for gosh sakes.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:05 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,105,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
It's more peaceful and safe here. I used to live in South Jersey and for a family with kids, there is no comparison. Much more family oriented here in Southern Ontario. I feel comfortable letting my kids outside to walk to school or play. There are crossing guards during school breaks (kids are free to leave during break) and before and after school. Less violence. It's not like South Jersey where each town has its own school district and one town can be excellent (Haddonfield) while the next town can have horrible schools (Camden). Stuff is more expensive here, eating out, buying just about anything at the store, etc. but utilities are about the same. Less of a police state too, fewer cops.
Everything you just said i had at my school, cross guards, we could walk to restaurants nearby, everywhere was safe.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
And not many Americans here know what it's like to live in Canada.
You dont know that, it seems here posters aren't to well aware of living in america and whats its like.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:16 PM

Transportation: America has more transportation....
Education: Canada has a better public school system yet america has better universities and colleges.
Diversity: America is more diverse in numbers but canada is more diverse in percentages.
Economies: Both are doing good, america just came back up from its depression, everything is going much better. America has a stronger and larger economy, canada has a smaller economy.
Arts, culture-America has better arts and culture.
Crime-Canada has less murder cime other than that everything is about the same to me.
Scenery-Both have great scenery however i give edge to America because of the amount of different kinds of scenery.
Military: LOL i think we all know the answer...

Old 06-19-2013, 02:40 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,998,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What is your take on living in Canada vs US? From what I see the US is becoming so corrupt(big brother) and crime ridden(shootings everywhere,like the wild west). Those are my major concerns,aside from health care and economy(is yours going downhill as well?)...
In my opinion, such broad questions usually do-not yield any (worthwhile) answers. Canada and the US are both very large countries. Plus, "life experiences" can be wildly different for a Wall Street Banker and a person working at WalMart in rural Mississippi.

On average, living standards in Canada are slightly better than the USA.
Top Countries On OECD Better Life Index - Business Insider

If you are planning to move to Canada, tell us where you live right now, what you do and where in Canada you would like to move. Then you might get accurate pointers for: life in X vs Y.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You dont know that, it seems here posters aren't to well aware of living in america and whats its like.
I just assumed there may be enough people here with dual citizenship or that may have relocated...

Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Crime-Canada has less murder cime other than that everything is about the same to me.
I was just researching crime around Ottawa and the stats said there was something like only 11 murders in 2012...heck we have that in Philly in only a couple weeks

Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,507,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I was just researching crime around Ottawa and the stats said there was something like only 11 murders in 2012...heck we have that in Philly in only a couple weeks
Ottawa's are high compared to the murder rate in Windsor or Quebec City. Crime, however, seems to as a rule be much higher in the West than in the East.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM

18,345 posts, read 10,414,903 times
There are many, MANY of us Canadians who spend equal time each year in both countries. I would guess that phenomena would prevail more so than Americans who spend 6 months in Canada. Those Americans who own property up here in our lake areas and who spend any time here at all, are not likely to be posters on City Data.

In general; across the board, cost of living will be higher in Canada with the recovery of expenses coming in things like not having to pay for any health insurance, unless you wish to travel back to the U.S. for a visit now and again.

Virtually every other life necessity will ultimately cost you more up here, from fuel for your vehicles to butter for your toast. You will have to decide as to what price to put on not having to concern yourself with the talking heads explaining why they are snooping in your emails and the nonsense associated with stuff like Jodi Arias and Zipper Zimmerman.

If your typical coffee table discussion at work is centered around your loss of liberties and security while bemoaning the gun grabbers attempts to restrict your FREEDOM; you're in for major dissappointment as those things just do not tickle the national phyche up here. Should you, in fact wish to discuss that stuff ad-infinitum; you'll empty a Tim Horton's faster than a cry of "there's rat poop in my chile bowl"!

As another poster opined; you really need to be a tad more specific, as I could suggest that if you move from a thriving urban setting to a rural one in Canada and couple that to the higher cost of living you might find the transition a little more than you can handle all at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or