U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2013, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
3,082 posts, read 3,172,641 times
Reputation: 1599

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Ottawa's are high compared to the murder rate in Windsor or Quebec City. Crime, however, seems to as a rule be much higher in the West than in the East.
You mean like Vancouver? Which only makes sense because it's one of the largest cities. However there doesn't seem to be as much population near Windsor,so that would make sense also.

 
Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
3,082 posts, read 3,172,641 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As another poster opined; you really need to be a tad more specific, as I could suggest that if you move from a thriving urban setting to a rural one in Canada and couple that to the higher cost of living you might find the transition a little more than you can handle all at once.
I sort of alluded to it in my original post...my main concerns were crime and economy. As for urban vs rural...I had been looking for the most rural places in US I could find such as Montana,so I suppose the Canadian equivalent might be the prairies of Saskatchewan. Though if I opt to stay closer to my roots in the east,I'd be looking at somewhere like the Ottawa region.
 
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
If your typical coffee table discussion at work is centered around your loss of liberties and security while bemoaning the gun grabbers attempts to restrict your FREEDOM; you're in for major dissappointment as those things just do not tickle the national phyche up here. Should you, in fact wish to discuss that stuff ad-infinitum; you'll empty a Tim Horton's faster than a cry of "there's rat poop in my chile bowl"!
Right now everyone is talking about the NBA Finals, i think id rather hear people talk about security and guns than how much they love Lebron James....
I'll admit that block on Game 2 was pretty amazing tho

LeBron James Block Of The Year On Tiago Splitter - Heat vs Spurs Game 2 (6.9.13) - YouTube
 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
3,082 posts, read 3,172,641 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Right now everyone is talking about the NBA Finals, i think id rather hear people talk about security and guns than how much they love Lebron James....
I'll admit that block on Game 2 was pretty amazing tho
Didn't even know it was on...tho I've heard I'd better brush up on hockey if I head up north
 
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Didn't even know it was on...tho I've heard I'd better brush up on hockey if I head up north
Blackhawks beat the Wild

I am rooting hard for the Bruins. (sorry Montreal fans)
 
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
 
2,292 posts, read 3,938,929 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What is your take on living in Canada vs US? From what I see the US is becoming so corrupt(big brother) and crime ridden(shootings everywhere,like the wild west). Those are my major concerns,aside from health care and economy(is yours going downhill as well?)...
The US is the country of extremes to me -- stately homes a stone's throw from the hood, high schools full of Harvard-bound kids 3 miles from Hopeless High, trend-setting sophisticated restaurants vs. KFCs, Neil deGrasse Tyson vs. Ann Coulter... Canada has more of an egalitarian streak (socially and fiscally) so the extremes aren't quite as extreme. Regarding corruption, we aren't in a position to teach anything to anyone. Violent crime rates are a lot lower in Canada, but property crime rates are similar.

I lived in Pittsburgh from 2005 to 2009 and I loved it. Everything was marginally different from what I was used to, some marginally good, some marginally bad. But overall the "Canada is great while the US has become a third world country" line is most likely uttered by people with personal biases and a profound misunderstanding of statistics.
 
Old 06-20-2013, 02:52 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,501,190 times
Reputation: 4898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
You mean like Vancouver? Which only makes sense because it's one of the largest cities. However there doesn't seem to be as much population near Windsor,so that would make sense also.
No I don't mean like Vancouver, I mean comparably sized Western city to comparably sized Eastern city across the board. So Saskatoon and Regina to Windsor and London; Victoria to Halifax; Kelowna to St. John's or Sherbrooke; Calgary or Edmonton to Ottawa etc... Vancouver, though smaller, would have a higher crime rate than a metro area like Montreal for example. That doesn't mean Western Canada is crime ridden or extremely dangerous, it's probably safer or comparable to similar regions in the US, just that there's an obvious trend of modestly higher crime rates in Western Canadian communities generally, it even seems to hold true in aggregate when looking at towns. I won't venture a guess as to why, it's probably complicated and has to do with the way the West was settled, the type of economy it has and had, demographics, and a whole slew of other stuff.
 
Old 06-20-2013, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Oakville, ON
377 posts, read 1,517,018 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
No I don't mean like Vancouver, I mean comparably sized Western city to comparably sized Eastern city across the board. So Saskatoon and Regina to Windsor and London; Victoria to Halifax; Kelowna to St. John's or Sherbrooke; Calgary or Edmonton to Ottawa etc... Vancouver, though smaller, would have a higher crime rate than a metro area like Montreal for example. That doesn't mean Western Canada is crime ridden or extremely dangerous, it's probably safer or comparable to similar regions in the US, just that there's an obvious trend of modestly higher crime rates in Western Canadian communities generally, it even seems to hold true in aggregate when looking at towns. I won't venture a guess as to why, it's probably complicated and has to do with the way the West was settled, the type of economy it has and had, demographics, and a whole slew of other stuff.
It's not politically correct to say this, but crime is a significant problem in the First Nations communities of Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg and Edmonton.

In BC cities the crime is more spun-off from the drug trade and the transient population.
 
Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,101,444 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I was just researching crime around Ottawa and the stats said there was something like only 11 murders in 2012...heck we have that in Philly in only a couple weeks
Well Ottawa is 10 times smaller than philly
 
Old 06-20-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
3,082 posts, read 3,172,641 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Well Ottawa is 10 times smaller than philly
Yeah,no...Ottawa pop is like 800,000,Phila is like a mil...not quite 10X
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top