Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 AM

210 posts, read 708,016 times

Advertisements

Mountain run off mixed with heavy rain caused flash floods in Southern Alberta. Devastating.

Gallery: Dramatic photos of the major flooding from around Calgary

High River, Alberta

Canmore, Alberta:

Canmore:

Calgary:

Calgary:

Bragg Creek, Ab:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 AM

210 posts, read 708,016 times
Red Cross Donations: Canadian Red Cross - Finding Family with the Canadian Red Cross

Old 06-23-2013, 08:50 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
I wonder if any help will be offered from our friends in the USA ?

I well remember that some of the first "boots on the ground " in New Orleans, after their huge hurricane and massive flooding, were Royal Canadian Navy crews, sent down there in only three days, from Halifax.

Three RCN ships crews, over 700 Canadians, and none of them were carrying a weapon, unlike the US national guard troops who went in armed to the teeth, in their own country.

In this case in Calgary, I see that the PPCLI and local CF Reserve units are all ready in the city and working where needed. I wonder how the anti military folks are reacting ?

Jim b

Toronto.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:

I wonder if any help will be offered from our friends in the USA ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the USA EVER helping us after a disaster. Whether it's hurricanes or flooding or blackouts in the US, we're always there extending a helping hand to the US.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 AM

We shelter them during terrorist attacks, send crews when they have blackouts in New England, jump right in during hurricane season, and my nursing coordinator, being a trained helicopter pilot in the army, was one of the first ones down there with his team doing rescues during the Sandy disaster. He saw his friend get electrocuted by live wires in the water.
I can't remember any American boots on the ground when we need help.
I may be mistaken, and if you've heard otherwise, please let me know.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:16 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
I know on the other thread about this, there were kind words from our friends down there, one wanting to know how she could help. I would bet that private organisations from the States have sent help, and personal donations of food, blankets and all that from the citizens have come up at times, but a quick google search gave me nothing. Admittedly, my computer here at work blocks alot of sites, so I could very well be missing stuff. BUT, didn't seem to matter how I typed it in, the results were always Canada/Katrina, Canada/Louisianna, Canada/New York/Sandy, Canada/911, etc, etc......

It's okay though. We're a fairly hardy bunch up here.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I know on the other thread about this, there were kind words from our friends down there, one wanting to know how she could help. I would bet that private organisations from the States have sent help, and personal donations of food, blankets and all that from the citizens have come up at times, but a quick google search gave me nothing. Admittedly, my computer here at work blocks alot of sites, so I could very well be missing stuff. BUT, didn't seem to matter how I typed it in, the results were always Canada/Katrina, Canada/Louisianna, Canada/New York/Sandy, Canada/911, etc, etc......

It's okay though. We're a fairly hardy bunch up here.
A Google search gave me zilch as well, and it blocks nothing.
I didn't even mention rescuing their hostages or getting their astronauts back down.
"Houston, we have a problem!"

Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
The only time that I can find by doing a Google search, was the Halifax explosion in 1917, when a train was sent there, from Boston, carrying medical staff, and clothing, for the city.

Before that it was the great fire in Toronto, 1904, when fire trucks were sent from Buffalo, NY to Toronto.

In any case, I hope that the water will recede, and Calgary will be able to start to recover. It appears that the Saddle Dome is badly damaged, with all of it's mechanical and electrical systems under 15 feet of water.

The Stampede is going to look a lot different, this year, I think.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
^^^^I suppose on that sort of level, in the past Windsor and Detroit have always responded to eachothers cities in times of need. When Windsor burnt to the ground, DFD was there to help. When Detroit was burning, WFD was there to help. During the '67 riots, WFD sent trucks over.....but had to have National Guardsmen riding on top to fire back at the rioters! Our two cities are more of an international metropolis though, so we watch out for eachother.

I wonder if the Stampede is even going to happen. Isn't it only two weeks away?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I wonder if the Stampede is even going to happen. Isn't it only two weeks away?
It starts on July 5. It seems that it is going to happen; the waters are receding and crews are at work cleaning up buildings on the Stampede grounds. They will get to the outdoor areas and the Grandstand and racetrack/infield (where the rodeo takes place) once they are dry.

An interesting take on the Stampede situation at this blog--gotta love the "Hell or High Water" attitude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada