U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM

9,540 posts, read 9,420,509 times

Advertisements

Do they try to influence Canadian politics like our wealthiest ones? (FYI: Many wealthy Americans are actually liberal).

List of Canadians by net worth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do they try to influence Canadian politics like our wealthiest ones? (FYI: Many wealthy Americans are actually liberal).

List of Canadians by net worth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well number 5 lives in my province of B.C. and although one never knows what is going behind the scenes, I have never heard him get involved publicly in politics. I suppose only someone on the inside knows for sure where he spends his money.
In fact one would think that since he is a billionaire that he would lean right,( and I'm sure he does ) however he recently hired a former NDP ( left ) premier to be president of the Jimmy Pattison Group.
I've heard that he is quite religious as well, but doesn't push that on others. In fact before gay marriage was recognized in Canada, at least in his grocery store chains, gay people were protected in their contracts with his company and even his downtown Urban Fare store in Yaletown puts up gay Pride banners during Pride.
He appears to be able to separate what's good for business, and what he may personally believe.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM

292 posts, read 401,888 times
Individuals can't donate more than $1200 to a party. At least legally.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:20 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,996,068 times
Quote:
(FYI: Many wealthy Americans are actually liberal).
Who says?
What about the Koch brothers (rich, and actively involved in the Repub party)? Last I heard, Obama won because the minorities (Black and Hispanic, not generally considered rich) voted for him. Rich white Americans mostly vote Republican.

Strong, wealthy men more likely to be conservativesThe Men's Department blog - MSN Living

Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,654,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Who says?
What about the Koch brothers (rich, and actively involved in the Repub party)? Last I heard, Obama won because the minorities (Black and Hispanic, not generally considered rich) voted for him. Rich white Americans mostly vote Republican.

Strong, wealthy men more likely to be conservativesThe Men's Department blog - MSN Living
While this link doesn't delve into the ultra-wealthy, it does show some demographic breakdowns in the very last chart.

In 2004, 38% of those earning over 75,000 annually identified as republicans and 27% identified as democrats. It would appear that while those who are both wealthy and left-leaning are a minority in the US, they are a significant one.

But, back to the topic at hand - As others have noted there seems to be a greater disconnect between personal beliefs and business practices or public appearance than there is in the US.

There's very little celebrity endorsement of candidates up here, too - I've always found that a bit weird about US elections.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times
Most of the wealthy families known to have influenced politics have been Conservative in Canada. Conrad Black famously promoted the ideology through his Newspapers, as do the Aspers with there's and Rupert Murdoch with his Sun News network. The Irvings rule New Brunswick and absolutely have an effect on local policy, but it's mostly backroom influence, as I suspect much of the elite's influence is. Their contract for shipbuilding with the Feds is also highly suspect. Their ideology, however, seems to be "what's good for Irving" rather then any specific political brand, although things do seem to lean right naturally. For the most part though we have a much smaller and less powerful group of money men than the US seems to, and I attribute this mostly to our laws. Not investigating enough what happens behind the scenes may also be part of it. Most of the wealthy people who were politically active that I know of in Canada were people with family members who were politicians, like Mackay and Martin.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,033,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
... Rupert Murdoch with his Sun News network.
Try again.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:11 PM

9,540 posts, read 9,420,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Try again.

Rupert Murdoch is from "UhSTRAYuh".

Old 06-23-2013, 07:24 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,033,980 times
Quote:
Rupert Murdoch is from "UhSTRAYuh".
And Sun News Network is owned and operated by Quebecor Media, a company controlled by the Péladeau family of Montreal. Some posters around here have funny ideas.

Last edited by maclock; 06-23-2013 at 07:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada