U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM

4,806 posts, read 9,425,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A question for any locals familiar with the river systems there who might know where the rivers flow to. Where is all that flood water going to end up in the long run? I know there's several rivers involved but what direction will it all be going in? Somebody on a different forum said that all the water from the various rivers eventually ends up crossing Saskatchewan and Manitoba and emptying out into Hudson's Bay but I'm having a hard time picturing that. Doesn't any of it go into the Great Lakes or across the border into some of the States?

The previous post on this issue was great with map and info. I live in the Grand Forks ND along the Red River of the North....and it flows north from Lake Traverse SD/MN to Winnipeg then to Lake Winnipeg then to Hudson bay. The North-South continential divide runs through extreme northern South Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
My thoughts and prayers are going out to everyone who's affected by these terrible floods. Looking at the various news sites, I can't comprehend the level of damage. Is old Fort Calgary underwater? I would think so since it's so close to the river. Couldn't believe the photos of the Saddledome and Stampede Park.

What can we do to help? thx
Got any Calgary memorabilia? lol

It's all under there, in the concourse.

I'm just kidding of course. Very thoughtful of you.

I hope my countrymen get all the help they need.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Those pictures represent so much more than simple property damage but also the loss of charished memories and dreams for so many people. Terrible circumstances that will have long lasting effects

Old 06-22-2013, 08:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 980,830 times
Its been pretty crazy over here! Thankfully Im in a none flood zone and safe and dry but truly sadden by all the flooding around downtown, saddledome, stampede park,etc. I know the flooding is heading over to medicine hat and on to the northern Saskatchewan river

Old 06-23-2013, 06:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,918,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
My thoughts and prayers are going out to everyone who's affected by these terrible floods. Looking at the various news sites, I can't comprehend the level of damage. Is old Fort Calgary underwater? I would think so since it's so close to the river. Couldn't believe the photos of the Saddledome and Stampede Park.

What can we do to help? thx
The Canadian Red Cross is taking donations. And thanks. I can't comprehend it either. Everything you see, all the damage in Calgary and Canmore and Bragg Creek, these are places I know. I live blocks from the Bow River, and I have a great view of the downtown core from my bedroom. It will look so strange tonight, being so dark. To look out my window now you wouldn't know anything was wrong.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,157,334 times
Calgary Flood May be Canada's Most Expensive Flood in History

Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Calgarians; if there is a silver lining in this tragedy, you can take immeasurable pride in the fact that your shelters were UNDERutilized as a testament to the civic pride of a peoples compassion for each other in extending a hand to their fellows and opening their homes, even to strangers in some cases.

We owe you much respect and admiration.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM

25,762 posts, read 13,399,507 times
A friend of mine lives in Canmore. He's one of the lucky ones who returned from evacuation to find his house more-or-less undamaged. But he's reeling emotionally, along with thousands of others.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM

210 posts, read 634,759 times
I'm just kidding of course. Very thoughtful of you.

I hope my countrymen get all the help they need.[/quote]

That picture is a fake. The power has been shut off from the saddledome and much of downtown. BUT, it probably did look a lot like that in real life.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:44 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,810,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
It's f---ing wet out here.

I'm high and dry, personally, but things are pretty wild.

The girlfriend's parents are from High River - they got air evac'd out on Thursday. They said there was water up over the windows of the first floor at their house, but the windows were holding and there was only a bit seeping in. Hopefully they hold. Won't know until it's safe for them to go back.
When I heard about the severe flooding in High River, it made me think...this town's name is quite appropriate.
You've got to wonder why so many cities and towns are built along rivers and coastal areas that are so prone to flooding. Personally, I would think twice about moving to a town names High River. Or Burning Hills. Or Deluge Valley. Etc. Gotta think the people who named High River had a reasons for it.

Anyhow, all joking aside, it's very sad to see the flooding and I hope the affected areas are able to recover without too much loss. Unfortunately, this kind of extreme weather seems to be increasingly common as our atmosphere is able to hold more moisture due to warming. Of course, no one wants to hear that climate change might be partly responsible for the intensity of the rains and flooding. Accepting that climate change is affecting our planet's weather - and contributing to the flooding in Aberta - would mean having to address the issue, and that would mean second-guessing the oil sands development, and our government's apathy towards global warming. When it was just droughts in Africa, wild fires in Australia, flooding in New Orleans, and other catastrophes in other far away places, it was easy for us to ignore the problem. Now that we are experiencing this kind of severe weather here at home, I wonder if anyone will recognize he need for our government to take action on climate change.

Looks like I'm not the only one thinking this way: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/cameron...b_3488469.html

Last edited by TOkidd; 06-24-2013 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada