U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 PM

7,414 posts, read 6,667,170 times

Advertisements

State of emergency declared - Check out the dramatic pictures people are sending in to CBC of all the massive flooding in their towns and communities. Apparently Alberta has never seen flooding like this.

Your photos of Southern Alberta floods - Your Community=

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 PM

235 posts, read 269,548 times
Our prayer goes to them

Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,527,769 times
Indeed, my thoughts are with our countrymen in Alberta, let's hope this is as bad as it'll get and that the banks don't overflow any further

Old 06-22-2013, 09:37 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,658,524 times
It's f---ing wet out here.

I'm high and dry, personally, but things are pretty wild.

The girlfriend's parents are from High River - they got air evac'd out on Thursday. They said there was water up over the windows of the first floor at their house, but the windows were holding and there was only a bit seeping in. Hopefully they hold. Won't know until it's safe for them to go back.

Power and cell service were out for us for a bit, though both have returned. Most of the bridges close by are shut down and they've evacuated low lying areas of the county.

My worry right now is that parts of the upper Bow and Sheep River basins got hammered with storms again - Sheep River got something like 325mm of rain from Wednesday to last night. This may get worse before it gets better.

I should add: To quantify how much water there is right now - the Oldman River is flowing at about 2600 m3/s. Average flows for this time of year are about 400 m3/s.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,928,527 times
Wow, serious business. I live in Sunnyside, four blocks north of the Bow. I live 12 storeys up so my property is fine, but the neighbourhood is trashed. I was evacuated early on Friday morning, haven't seen the place since. I'm one of the lucky ones, I'll have a home to go back to in a few days.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Wow, serious business. I live in Sunnyside, four blocks north of the Bow. I live 12 storeys up so my property is fine, but the neighbourhood is trashed. I was evacuated early on Friday morning, haven't seen the place since. I'm one of the lucky ones, I'll have a home to go back to in a few days.
I've had a look at a few of those pictures of Calgary - definitely a mess up there, too. Glad to hear your place is high and dry, at least. Hopefully, they can get everything cleaned up quickly.

Looks like this thing is spreading, too. They've got Edmonton and surrounding parts of central Alberta under a high water watch now. Looks like the North Saskatchewan is flowing at about double its usual volume at the moment.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:45 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,224,388 times
^^ What's that mean for Athabasca, Stubblejumper? Just curious, as my brother lives up there. Think he's far enough north to avoid this?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,163,078 times

Bragg Creek Flood 2013 House Breaking - YouTube

Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^ What's that mean for Athabasca, Stubblejumper? Just curious, as my brother lives up there. Think he's far enough north to avoid this?
I think so. There's no alerts anywhere in the Athabasca Basin. River volume at the town of Athabasca appears about average. It looks a little high further upstream, but not exceedingly so. I think most of the heavy rains fell further south (The North Saskatchewan originates in Banff Nat'l Park then flows north to Edmonton).

You can watch the water levels in the rivers here (just pick the appropriate area, choose a monitoring station and choose figure, as they're easier to read):

Environment: Alberta River Basins

List of emergency alerts can be found here:

Alberta Emergency Alert Index

Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,163,078 times
Massive flooding in Calgary, Canada

Albertans face weekend after devastating floods

Why is there so much rain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada