Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I have posted the donation site for the Salvation Army website (I originally tried the Salvation Army Canada, however it could not accept an address from the States) and I am hopeful this is acceptable as well, it is my personal preference. Other than a donation there is little I can do other than to say God Bless you all and my prayers are with each and every one of you.

Well, at least there is a definitive reason America has not offered or sent help. I certainly was not aware of the "Defense Against Help Strategy", regardless, prayers for you ALL, even and especially the doubters and the...anti American sentiment.

Canada doesn't need help from America, it has never needed it and it won't request it. Canada can put boots on the ground in America if requested or accepted by America, but America cannot offer to put military boots on the ground in Canada unless specifically requested, which Canada will not do and has not ever done. The reason why Canada won't do that might be because Canada has a "Defense Against Help Strategy" against unwanted help from the USA and that is a policy that was established by Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King in 1938.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

https://secure20.salvationarmy.org/donation.jsp

Edit to add the Salvation Army (America) website
You have to understand the sentiment at the time. Canada was about to enter WWII, with a significant portion of their population. You had the U.S. and their legislated isolation arming immediately to the south. It wouldn't have been a huge stretch to have had American "assistance" difficult to remove come the end of hostilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I hope you don't think the Defense Against Help Strategy is anti-American sentiment. It's a logical political policy that was and is agreed upon by both American and Canadian governments for national security reasons.
Not at all and I apologize if that is the impression I left in my previous post here, not my intention in the least bit.

My understanding (and it is very rudimentary) is that the Defense Against Help Strategy is part and parcel of Canadian-American security relations due to our sharing of a continent. In short we very much depend on each other and our mutual security is interdependent. It is to ensure that Canada has complete control over her territory regardless of the nearly mandatory realtionship between the two countries, as it should be.

Although I love Canada and her citizens and hold them in the highest regard, I typically do not participate (very often, at least) on the Canada forum because I don't care to even read the Anti Canadian/Anti American sentiment and the urinating contest which inevitably ensues.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I wonder if any help will be offered from our friends in the USA ?

I well remember that some of the first "boots on the ground " in New Orleans, after their huge hurricane and massive flooding, were Royal Canadian Navy crews, sent down there in only three days, from Halifax.

Three RCN ships crews, over 700 Canadians, and none of them were carrying a weapon, unlike the US national guard troops who went in armed to the teeth, in their own country.

In this case in Calgary, I see that the PPCLI and local CF Reserve units are all ready in the city and working where needed. I wonder how the anti military folks are reacting ?

Jim b

Toronto.
Lol, of course you would wonder that.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that if things were so bad we found it necessary to ask the US for help, the US would be more than happy to oblige. No doubt at all. Was there any question about inviting American planes to land at our airports and putting up their passengers in 2001? Would anyone think we'd do anything else?
No doubt in my mind either, despite the sometimes poor reputation that America has for sticking their nose in for less than altruisitc motivation, she will always, always be prepared to help with whatever means necessay and at her disposal.

And Canada and her fine citizenry opened their airports, their hearts, their homes, and their country when the proverbial **** hit the fan in 2001. Anyone in America who does not know that now should be told and reminded on a regular and recurring youtube feed.

Canada...I am deeply humbled and grateful that you are my neighbor. Hail Canada!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
And Canada and her fine citizenry opened their airports, their hearts, their homes, and their country when the proverbial **** hit the fan in 2001. Anyone in America who does not know that now should be told and reminded on a regular and recurring youtube feed.
Thank you. It is nice to be noticed, and I am not being facetious. We really do appreciate when we're noticed for the favours (ahem, "favors") we do for you.

Don't forget the help we gave you in 1979, when our people got six of your people out of Iran; Tony Mendez' inaccurate book and Ben Affleck's inaccurate movie notwithstanding.

And we cannot forget the First Special Service Force, a US-Canadian initiative in WWII, which joined forces and fought as one unit; most notably at Anzio in 1944. You may know them better as "The Devil's Brigade," and they were the subject of a 1968 movie.

Let's not forget also the co-operation our countries have shown in North American defense. NORAD is a joint US-Canadian venture, and keeps us all safe in North America.

We work together when we need each other, and we do so on good and equitable terms. I have no doubt that, were it necessary in the recent Alberta flood crisis, American agencies (fire/rescue crews, power and light crews, the American Red Cross, and the Salvation Army, for example) would have been pleased to help out. As it turned out, none were, but I'm sure that in the back of every Albertan's mind was, "we can always call upon Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and the Americans if we need to."

Again, thanks for standing by.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Thank you. It is nice to be noticed, and I am not being facetious. We really do appreciate when we're noticed for the favours (ahem, "favors") we do for you.

Don't forget the help we gave you in 1979, when our people got six of your people out of Iran; Tony Mendez' inaccurate book and Ben Affleck's inaccurate movie notwithstanding.

And we cannot forget the First Special Service Force, a US-Canadian initiative in WWII, which joined forces and fought as one unit; most notably at Anzio in 1944. You may know them better as "The Devil's Brigade," and they were the subject of a 1968 movie.

Let's not forget also the co-operation our countries have shown in North American defense. NORAD is a joint US-Canadian venture, and keeps us all safe in North America.

We work together when we need each other, and we do so on good and equitable terms. I have no doubt that, were it necessary in the recent Alberta flood crisis, American agencies (fire/rescue crews, power and light crews, the American Red Cross, and the Salvation Army, for example) would have been pleased to help out. As it turned out, none were, but I'm sure that in the back of every Albertan's mind was, "we can always call upon Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and the Americans if we need to."

Again, thanks for standing by.
You're very welcome...and despite all of the banter which occurs among our people, in real life and here on the c-d forum, we are family and I thank you all (and while we're at it, ALL of our Allies, past, present, and future) again for your steadfast loyalty, assistance, and sacrifice in every aspect, to our mutual security, prosperity, comfort and benefit. No man is an island!

I (and I am sure many Americans) do not believe for one minute that any of our countries survive and prosper without mutual cooperation.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

P.S. and way off topic, sincere apologies in advance...congratulations Chicago Blackhawks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada