U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,128 times

Advertisements

A few things I've noticed in Canada:

- less people wearing visors (then again, I'm speaking from a Sunbelt perspective)

- fewer women wearing sports-team (baseball) caps. A lot of US women (less on the West Coast than other parts though) pop their ponytail thru the sports hat. You see far less of this in Canada.

- less polo shirts. Men don't really wear that many polo shirts there. Polo shirts are an American thing, I guess. But you see it worn more in Brazil and Korea, of all places. More than in Canada.

- less people wearing boat/ deck shoes

- less college clothing, or clothing associated with "colors of the local college"

- lastly, less people dressed either really slobby or ghetto

Anything else people notice between the borders? There are some regional differences but these are observations I've made that seem to stop at the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Plus sizes are not very popular in Canada, where the obesity rate is about half of what it is in the USA.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Plus sizes are not very popular in Canada, where the obesity rate is about half of what it is in the USA.
It is higher in the US but not sure that it is double. Canada has its share of chunky people, though it varies from region to region. BC and Quebec are generally our thinnest provinces.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

- less people wearing visors (then again, I'm speaking from a Sunbelt perspective)

- fewer women wearing sports-team (baseball) caps. A lot of US women (less on the West Coast than other parts though) pop their ponytail thru the sports hat. You see far less of this in Canada.

- less polo shirts. Men don't really wear that many polo shirts there. Polo shirts are an American thing, I guess. But you see it worn more in Brazil and Korea, of all places. More than in Canada.

- less people wearing boat/ deck shoes

- less college clothing, or clothing associated with "colors of the local college"

Anything else people notice between the borders? There are some regional differences but these are observations I've made that seem to stop at the border.
Good observations.

One thing I notice in the U.S. is the older Vietnam veteran biker look. Long grey hair and beard, leather clothing or jean jackets and cowboy boots, and a "don't mess with me" demeanour. It's something you almost never see in Canada.

Not the best example but it gives you an idea:
http://vovmcco.com/baron.jpg

Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

How many baseball teams are there in Canada? Just one. Plus, sports like baseball, basketball, football are not as popular in Canada. I remember my guy friends in Michigan telling me that it was important for their prospective girlfriend to like the local sports teams (Lions, Tigers, Red-Wings) in order for them to "work out". So ......
You'd never hear a guy in Toronto leaving a girl over the Blue Jays.

Quote:
I don't know if this is entirely true. Maybe due to the colder weather?

Quote:
Very astute observation. But this one is easy. The issue is multi-fold:
1. Licensing: colleges in Canada, like the University of Toronto do not license their logo to 3rd party vendors. So, you have to buy University of Toronto apparell at the university store at marked-up prices. On the other hand, you can buy U Michigan caps and hats at Wal Mart's all over Michigan.
2. Canadian universities do not have "great" sports teams. On a popularity scale of 1 to 10: BIG TEN schools like Michigan and Wisconsin have their football teams at 10 (in terms of size, money, stadium, popularity). The biggest Canadian school would not even be on that scale. Maybe negative 100 or something ... (and I don't know why).

Quote:
Again, good observation. It is a financial thing. Cities like Toronto, Vancouver have one of the highest standards of living in the World.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post

Again, good observation. It is a financial thing. Cities like Toronto, Vancouver have one of the highest standards of living in the World.
On the ghetto or slobbiness I gave it some thought and I am not sure there is that much of a difference.

(Also wondering about the word "ghetto" - is this like an indirect code word for African-Americans?)

But anyway...

I was at a mall (unfortunately) on the weekend in Ottawa, which is also one of the richest cities in Canada. Lots and lots of men aged 20-50 wearing loose-fitting basketball-style shorts, sloppy t-shirts or muscle shirts and of course flip-flops. You know - they dress "sporty" but most of them look like they haven't taken part in a sport in over 10 years. The sporty look you wear precisely when you're not in sporting shape and not partaking in sports at all - but it's comfortable.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 AM

You also have some regional variants within Canada. Quebec may be the most significant outlier - as usual.

In Quebec, many straight men aren't afraid to express their, um, feminine side (I guess that's how you'd describe it to other Canadians or Americans) in the way they dress. So brighter colours and more elaborate designs are much more frequently seen on men in Quebec.

Another good example in recent years from Quebec is the ubiquity of capri (or 3/4ths) pants on men (straight or gay) in the summer.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You also have some regional variants within Canada. Quebec may be the most significant outlier - as usual.

In Quebec, many straight men aren't afraid to express their, um, feminine side (I guess that's how you'd describe it to other Canadians or Americans) in the way they dress. So brighter colours and more elaborate designs are much more frequently seen on men in Quebec.

Another good example in recent years from Quebec is the ubiquity of capri (or 3/4ths) pants on men (straight or gay) in the summer.
Yes, I agree. Similarly, people in Los Angeles dress very differently when compared to the rest of the country.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On the ghetto or slobbiness I gave it some thought and I am not sure there is that much of a difference.

(Also wondering about the word "ghetto" - is this like an indirect code word for African-Americans?)
lol ... no! I, nor the OP were using the word "ghetto" as an indirect code for African Americans! As a group they make up only 12% of the American population and how a small minority within this sub-group dress (e.g. loose clothes) has nothing to do with this discussion.

Quote:
But anyway...

I was at a mall (unfortunately) on the weekend in Ottawa, which is also one of the richest cities in Canada. Lots and lots of men aged 20-50 wearing loose-fitting basketball-style shorts, sloppy t-shirts or muscle shirts and of course flip-flops. You know - they dress "sporty" but most of them look like they haven't taken part in a sport in over 10 years. The sporty look you wear precisely when you're not in sporting shape and not partaking in sports at all - but it's comfortable.
It is difficult to quantify this difference. But I and many of my friends who have spent considerable time in both countries, big and small cities, rich and poor areas have noticed a significant difference in the way people are dressed (on average). Think about the poorest areas in Toronto and compare them to the poorest areas in Chicago - there is a big difference in how people are dressed. In a city like Toronto, it is very difficult to guess a person's economic/ social status based on clothes. In Detroit, not so much.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 AM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
Work boots and lumber jack shirts.

When I was growing up, that's what we wore.
I bet they're still popular in Canada away from the big cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or