U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 AM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,964,893 times
Reputation: 857

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Canada ISNT bi-lingual...how many people in this country speak both languages??...very small percentage.
All right, so logically you'd want to anglicise all of Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 AM
 
3,097 posts, read 4,155,104 times
Reputation: 3706
I get there is history for Anglophones in Montreal/Quebec, but if you are seriously unwanted (as you believe be it true or not) then why not move? Perhaps that is a simplistic view point..but I mean most of the country is Anglo, move to an area that you feel more comfortable...or stay and deal with being a minority..the choice is yours..but I doubt that 15% of the population is going to sway the other 85% so you are going to have to deal with having a smaller voice..it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 AM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,964,893 times
Reputation: 857
No province in Canada has English as the sole official language. No province in Canada, other than (bilingual) New Brunswick has a higher percentage of francophones than Quebec has anglophones. Bill 101 and official unilingualism is a slap in the face of the English minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
I get there is history for Anglophones in Montreal/Quebec, but if you are seriously unwanted (as you believe be it true or not) then why not move? Perhaps that is a simplistic view point..but I mean most of the country is Anglo, move to an area that you feel more comfortable...or stay and deal with being a minority..the choice is yours..but I doubt that 15% of the population is going to sway the other 85% so you are going to have to deal with having a smaller voice..it is what it is.
He's already moved - and lives in southern Ontario in fact. Which makes all of this even more ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,535 posts, read 9,417,427 times
Reputation: 6702
I wonder if there are any French Quebeckers who think Quebec's language policies are extreme.
I wonder if there are any French Quebeckers who are happy to communicate in English to Anglo-Quebeckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 AM
 
3,097 posts, read 4,155,104 times
Reputation: 3706
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
All right, so logically you'd want to anglicise all of Canada.
I think things should stay the way they are..French spoken in Quebec and English (for the most part) in the ROC..it seems Quebec Anglos might be the ones wanting to anglicise all of Canada...as for me..its an issue that is not even on my radar...perhaps thats because the so-called bi-lingualism is non existant in the ROC and the average Canadian in those parts speaks as much French as the average American...barely any!..I mean English is spoken in almost the entire country and your complaining about one city/province where its not the dominant language??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:29 AM
 
3,097 posts, read 4,155,104 times
Reputation: 3706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He's already moved - and lives in southern Ontario in fact. Which makes all of this even more ridiculous.
....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,964,893 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
I think things should stay the way they are..French spoken in Quebec and English (for the most part) in the ROC..it seems Quebec Anglos might be the ones wanting to anglicise all of Canada...as for me..its an issue that is not even on my radar...perhaps thats because the so-called bi-lingualism is non existant in the ROC and the average Canadian in those parts speaks as much French as the average American...barely any!..I mean English is spoken in almost the entire country and your complaining about one city/province where its not the dominant language??
I don't care about it's dominance, I care about it's equality! Typical separatist excuse, "You have 9 other provinces, why not move there?" (Some even bring American states into the equation). There is no movement to anglicise Quebec. All we care about is the equality of the English language in Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM
 
3,097 posts, read 4,155,104 times
Reputation: 3706
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
No province in Canada has English as the sole official language.
Oh I know that..but here's an experiment, try approaching your co-workers speaking French and see how much French they know, my guess it will be barely intelligible. Does that go against what the country was founded on? Perhaps, but facts are facts, the population in this country speaking fluent French/English is small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 AM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,964,893 times
Reputation: 857
Why does that matter? How does Toronto or Halifax have an affect on what goes on in Montreal? That's their own problem if they don't want to learn a wonderful language like French. Quebec is much more bilingual than any other province, except for New Brunswick. Montreal is the most bilingual city in the whole country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top