U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 AM

3,097 posts, read 4,156,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I don't care about it's dominance, I care about it's equality! Typical separatist excuse, "You have 9 other provinces, why not move there?" (Some even bring American states into the equation). There is no movement to anglicise Quebec. All we care about is the equality of the English language in Quebec.
According to AcaJack you DID move to one of the other provinces so you care about a province you no longer live in because??????You are now able to speak English in Southern Ontario as much as you want...so why do you care??..The English language will never be/never has been equal to French in Quebec so that sounds like a pipe dream..another curious thing is..why is it French speaking Canadians in Ontario for example dont seem to be complaining about English being the majority language in the province and how French isnt Equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM

21,953 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
According to AcaJack you DID move to one of the other provinces so you care about a province you no longer live in because??????You are now able to speak English in Southern Ontario as much as you want...so why do you care??..The English language will never be/never has been equal to French in Quebec so that sounds like a pipe dream..another curious thing is..why is it French speaking Canadians in Ontario for example dont seem to be complaining about English being the majority language in the province and how French isnt Equal.
Voilà.

You have exposed all of this from what it is: it's not so much about equality and it's not about human cultural diversity so much as it is about an intolerance for the last surviving large land mass in Canada that doesn't have English as the vernacular.

Sure, they pay lip service to French in Ontario or aboriginal languages because it sounds good and makes them look generous, but obviously they know (and we all know) that the goose is cooked on that front.

English dominates these days in places like St-Boniface, Manitoba and on the Grassy Narrows reserve in northwestern Ontario, and some 21st century tokenism for languages other than English will obviously never change that.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,966,045 times
Two wrongs don't make a right, Acajack.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:26 AM

3,097 posts, read 4,156,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Voilà.

You have exposed all of this from what it is: it's not so much about equality and it's not about human cultural diversity so much as it is about an intolerance for the last surviving large land mass in Canada that doesn't have English as the vernacular.

Sure, they pay lip service to French in Ontario or aboriginal languages because it sounds good and makes them look generous, but obviously they know (and we all know) that the goose is cooked on that front.

English dominates these days in places like St-Boniface, Manitoba and on the Grassy Narrows reserve in northwestern Ontario, and some 21st century tokenism for languages other than English will obviously never change that.
exactly..English is by far the dominant language in this country, sometimes at the expense of other languages. So why he would want to make it somehow 'equal' in one province where its not is beyond me. I wonder if he would have the same passion for the subject of making French equal in the ROC (good luck with that one)

Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,966,045 times
French is legally equal in the rest of Canada, that is there is no law in place that discriminates against francophones in any province in the rest of Canada, at least not an exisent law. Not so with English in Quebec. Typical separatist tactic of twistic someone's words. When I say equal, I'm not talking about there being exactly 3 895 680 anglophones and exactly 3 895 680 francophones in Quebec, I'm talking about being treated equally under the law.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 AM

18,296 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Quote:
exactly..English is by far the dominant language in this country, sometimes at the expense of other languages. So why he would want to make it somehow 'equal' in one province where its not is beyond me. I wonder if he would have the same passion for the subject of making French equal in the ROC (good luck with that one)
He has not said equal in that context and I suspect you know this. He is saying equal as in "equal rights". You know, that concept you're now stating you find strange but readily embrace when it applies to ANY minority group over any issue, within your Province.

Why is that?

Oh I know it's the politically correct thing to do to identify with someone claiming to have the high road but having feet of clay while doing so.

You either embrace the concept of rights and priviledges as defined by your charter as it should apply to everyone or admit you're willing to "overlook" the agregious ignoring of it in certain instances that might cause you to take a stand.

You all too eagerly jumped on the issue of the person not at this time being a resident of Quebec as that should make the sum total of his input irrelevant. Since when did the issue of "equal rights" within Canada have provincial boundaries?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:08 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,413,364 times
As an outsider (New England USA) I wonder what created the intense insecurity that would make otherwise rational people mandate a particular language be the only language used. Why are the Quebec politicians so darn sensitive?

Our conservatives are also raising a great commotion over Spanish being spoken in the US. These conservatives are calling for the US to make English, well American English anyway, to be the Official language. Do these parallel the Francophone’s in Quebec?

One of our oddities is the different English spoken in our Deep south and the same language in down east Maine. They have little in common and are usually mutually unintelligible.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As an outsider (New England USA) I wonder what created the intense insecurity that would make otherwise rational people mandate a particular language be the only language used. Why are the Quebec politicians so darn sensitive?
It's a very long story and you'd have to read up on Quebec history in order to get some idea of the issues and history behind it.

But just to clarify - it's not really that only one language is used.

English can be used in Quebec for lots of things: schools, colleges, universities, hospitals, courts, etc. You can deal with any Quebec government agency (income tax, driving test, etc.) in English. You can get your electricity bill, phone bil, etc. in English.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM

18,296 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Voilà.

There is another example about how whatever is being done outside of Quebec regarding the two languages is never good enough or due to some nefarious ulterior motive while what is being done inside Quebec, and done very deliberately, is being done for only the very best of moral imperatives.

Your dissconnect on this issue is ingrained and complete.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I get there is history for Anglophones in Montreal/Quebec, but if you are seriously unwanted (as you believe be it true or not) then why not move? Perhaps that is a simplistic view point..but I mean most of the country is Anglo, move to an area that you feel more comfortable...or stay and deal with being a minority..the choice is yours..but I doubt that 15% of the population is going to sway the other 85% so you are going to have to deal with having a smaller voice..it is what it is.

PDW and friends. Here is the emerging new attitude of your "brothers" in the rest of Canada and the US about your "plight" in Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or