U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
No Cory Schneider is the representative to the NHLPA..
It was sort of a joke about Luongo's reputation as a "choke-artist." The Canucks could've won a Cup in 2011 but his goaltending was pretty shabby in the finals(if not the sole reason). Nonetheless, I've met plenty of Canucks fans that blame Luongo for choking in big games.

Quote:
If you are Canadian everything that sucks about hockey is always Bettemens fault.... Which is why we (Canadian Fans) boo him every time he shows his face at a Canadian Arena or Event
Everyone boos Gary Bettman. Boston booed him a few days ago. People boo him in San Jose when his name was even mentioned over the PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Quote:
Canadian teams routinely sell out their arenas at high ticket prices — whether or not they are any good. This may reduce their incentive to compete.
That sounds a little like an excuse for poor management and ownership... So American teams with dedicated hockey fanbases who buy tickets on off years don't have incentive to compete either? Minnesota gets good crowds despite being a fairly recent expansion team with not much of a history--but they're trying to build a team. I mean if the Toronto Maple Leaf owners are happy to just sit on their butts and collect revenue and not really compete, well then that's their problem...

I do agree with the sentiment that hates Bettman for his misplaced expansion to the South for the NHL--and the fact is that the NHL marketing machine seems to favor a handful of franchises in the Northeast/Midwest US(which is why in the states almost all non-playoff nationally televised games will always feature the Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Red Wings, Blackhawks, or Penguins) especially in the Winter Classic. And I wouldn't mind seeing more Canadian teams in the NHL(Quebec seems like it could be a possibility or Hamilton though in the past that was opposed by the Maple Leafs and Sabres). At the same time though there's really nothing that's stopped a Canadian franchise from competing for the Cup anymore than a US franchise. All teams have to deal with the salary cap--the fact that it's being lowered again means that the Bruins and Blackhawks might not be in the finals next year...

Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,936,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That sounds a little like an excuse for poor management and ownership... So American teams with dedicated hockey fanbases who buy tickets on off years don't have incentive to compete either? Minnesota gets good crowds despite being a fairly recent expansion team with not much of a history--but they're trying to build a team. I mean if the Toronto Maple Leaf owners are happy to just sit on their butts and collect revenue and not really compete, well then that's their problem...
That's a rather simple economic argument though -- poor management is more likely to be tolerated if it doesn't hurt the bottom line (and in hockey, bottom line is heavily linked to attendance).

I'm not exactly sure how much water that argument holds, but it's also been used in baseball where revenue sharing has reportedly enabled teams like the Pirates to make money year after year without fielding a competitive team (until recently).

Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,996,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I mean if the Toronto Maple Leaf owners are happy to just sit on their butts and collect revenue and not really compete, well then that's their problem...
Until December 2011, the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan had a 66% stake in MLSE - which owns the Leafs. Pension Plan management firms ... by definition ...tend to sit on their butts ... it is good business.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,575,204 times
The last time I checked, "Canada" did not have an NHL team!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,996,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The last time I checked, "Canada" did not have an NHL team!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or