U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,550 posts, read 9,426,522 times
Reputation: 6717

Advertisements

Is there a Cuban community in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:24 PM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,282,197 times
Reputation: 6512
There is one here on the south shore, including a tiny hole-in-the-wall Cuban restaurant out in St Jean. There's a Spanish-language Catholic church in Iberville so it's centred around that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,550 posts, read 9,426,522 times
Reputation: 6717
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
There is one here on the south shore, including a tiny hole-in-the-wall Cuban restaurant out in St Jean. There's a Spanish-language Catholic church in Iberville so it's centred around that.

Do these Cubans tend to have a different attitude than those stereotypically associated with Miami - that is, are they indifferent to or supportive of the Cuban government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,956 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Reputation: 8612
The community I believe is tiny relative to other Latin American communities. I have rarely met any. Communities from Mexico, Peru, Colombia, Chile, El Salvador, etc. are much much larger in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,956 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do these Cubans tend to have a different attitude than those stereotypically associated with Miami - that is, are they indifferent to or supportive of the Cuban government?
I don't know about being supportive but certainly they aren't like the bitter exiles in Miami who sit around cafés on Calle Ocho planning the overthrow of the Castro régime every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,550 posts, read 9,426,522 times
Reputation: 6717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know about being supportive but certainly they aren't like the bitter exiles in Miami who sit around cafés on Calle Ocho planning the overthrow of the Castro régime every day.

I'm sure most of those "bitter exiles" are dead since they were likely older than Fidel when they came to this country in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:32 PM
 
34,411 posts, read 41,518,327 times
Reputation: 29889
The girl who manages our gymn is a recent transplant from from Cuba, any Questions you want me to ask her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,956 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I'm sure most of those "bitter exiles" are dead since they were likely older than Fidel when they came to this country in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Weren't there quite a few successive migrations after the 60s, including a fairly massive one in the 1980s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,550 posts, read 9,426,522 times
Reputation: 6717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Weren't there quite a few successive migrations after the 60s, including a fairly massive one in the 1980s?

There were several "waves", but the Cuban immigrants that seem to stereotype the whole community came in the first wave - late 50s and early 60s. Some were supporters of the dictator Batista, but others weren't. Some even supported the "revolution", but turned against it when their properties were confiscated. These people came almost exclusively from Cuba's middle and upper classes. Since the men in this group were typically middle-aged heads of household, those still living would be in their 90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,550 posts, read 9,426,522 times
Reputation: 6717
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The girl who manages our gymn is a recent transplant from from Cuba, any Questions you want me to ask her?

When you lived in Tampa, you may have encountered people of Cuban ancestry whose forebears settled in Ybor City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top