Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 30,173 times

Advertisements

We are a lower middle class but cleancut/traditional family of three currently living in Mississauga and looking to move somewhere smaller and more family oriented. We are looking at Niagara Falls and Oakville. Oakville may be a bit pricey for us but my husband would be able to keep his current job. If we moved to Niagara Falls, he would have to find a new job.

What kind of place could we rent for ~$1200-1300/month? Could we only afford an apartment in a shady area for that price?
What is public transportation like? We have no car.
What is the area like for crime/drugs?
What are the 'wholesome' areas?
What are the sketchier areas?
What are prices like? (groceries/etc)
Which areas are generally English/German or Italian?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:04 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,259 times
I live in Oakville, I'll bite.

What kind of place could we rent for ~$1200-1300/month? Could we only afford an apartment in a shady area for that price?

Cost of living here doesn't differentiate much from Mississauga actually. I rent a brand new 1600 sq/ft townhome in NW Oakville for $1650, so in your budget you could probably get a newer condo, or older townhome.

What is public transportation like? We have no car.

I don't know. I have never taken the bus here. I rarely see buses, so I can't imagine it's great.

What is the area like for crime/drugs?

Excellent. Halton Region (Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton Hills) is one of the safest urban areas in Canada.

What are the 'wholesome' areas?

Generally, the SE and anything along the lake are regarded as the best parts of Oakville. Joshua Creek and Glen Abbey on the north side are both very desirable, upscale areas.

What are the sketchier areas?

There are some lower income apartment and townhome complexes scattered across the city. Personally, I would avoid: Falgarwood, the apartments near Sheridan College and the mall, the area between Kerr St and Dorval Drive.

What are prices like? (groceries/etc)

Shouldn't be any different than Mississauga.

Which areas are generally English/German or Italian?

Oakville is pretty WASPy. The newer areas north of QEW tend to be more diverse than those in the south, but it is difficult to pinpoint specific ethnic areas around Oakville. In my immediate vicinity, I have 2 neighbours from India, a Chinese family, a Russian family, an Italian family, a Greek family and ourselves, mixed white/Asian.

All that said, you may also wish to consider Burlington. Prices are a bit less, and it's downtown area is very walkable and would be better than anywhere in Oakville if you don't have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada