U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,311,734 times

Advertisements

If you need further proof that there's some truth to the Canadian politeness stereotype, all you need to do is read a bunch of these US-started "Why aren't you like the States?" threads, and all the polite replies when the less polite reply is: "Because we have this odd notion that we're allowed to come up with our own ideas on how to run our country, without first considering if we should just imitate the Americans. Why is it so hard to grasp that we might actually make a decision without reference to the States' method? Let's turn this around. We have shown you an example of a society with universal healthcare, much lower crime, much less poverty and a much better national legislative ratio. Why do you keep doing these things your way, which anyone can see has failed? Why don't you imitate us? What, you mean you have the warped notion that you can run your own country without consulting us? How can this be? Aren't these questions great?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsen View Post
Because 12345 is easier to write and remember than A1A H2A
Science has proven otherwise. Look up pattern grouping in psychology journals. Numbers grouped in 3 are ideal to remember. Numbers grouped in 4 are the next ideal. That's why phone numbers have a dash in them. To break the number up into pattern groupings. That's why License plates have a break in them. That's why IP addresses have periods.

###-### is easier than ###### to remember.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I would suggest that Canadians are more flexible, when it comes comes to using their imagination, after all we did invent the internet. And star trek.

We did?????

Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
If you need further proof that there's some truth to the Canadian politeness stereotype, all you need to do is read a bunch of these US-started "Why aren't you like the States?" threads, and all the polite replies when the less polite reply is: "Because we have this odd notion that we're allowed to come up with our own ideas on how to run our country, without first considering if we should just imitate the Americans. Why is it so hard to grasp that we might actually make a decision without reference to the States' method? Let's turn this around. We have shown you an example of a society with universal healthcare, much lower crime, much less poverty and a much better national legislative ratio. Why do you keep doing these things your way, which anyone can see has failed? Why don't you imitate us? What, you mean you have the warped notion that you can run your own country without consulting us? How can this be? Aren't these questions great?"
You sir, are very astute.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:52 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
The answer the the original question is, because every country (that is not a colony of the USA) gets to choose their own postal code system.

The reason telephone numbers and area codes in Canada match those in the USA is to allow a person using an American telephone to call a Canadian number without going through international switching with a country code. The destination of the call is "sorted" at the point of origin. But that doesn't matter in postal codes, because all mail from the US to Canada goes through a funnel and gets dumped somewhere in Canada where is seems to get sniffed at by Customs, re-discovered by a surprised postal worker (sooner or later) and gets sorted by Canadian postal workers (sooner or later) and then essentially "remailed" to a Canadian address. By which time the reason for writing the original letter has been forgotten. This is not a knock on Canada, it works the same way going back the other way.

In the USA, all international incoming mail gets bottlenecked through US Customs in New York, New Orleans, San Francisco, Seattle, or Miami. Presumably, all mail from Canada goes through New York, and possibly Seattle. So a letter from Windsor to Detroit goes and spends a few days in New York along the way.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-06-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 AM

903 posts, read 2,242,383 times
Interesting difference between phones and mail..

When you make a long distance call to another country. Both your phone companies and the person being called's phone company have infrastructure involved in the call. The money you pay your phone company is split and some of it is paid to the receiving phone company. There is a lot of time and effort to calculate and track all these splits.

With the post office you pay for the stamp at the sending end. The receiving end receives no payment for their part in delivering the letter. There is an assumption that a letter would be sent back at some point. No time , effort or money is spent calculating any splits.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post

With the post office you pay for the stamp at the sending end. The receiving end receives no payment for their part in delivering the letter. There is an assumption that a letter would be sent back at some point. No time , effort or money is spent calculating any splits.
Since 1874, there is a Universal Postal Union, a treaty to which virtually all countries are signatory, in which every country agrees to process, handle and deliver mail for which postage was paid in a member country. It is reciprocal.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 PM

104 posts, read 137,151 times
I'm surprised that this thread has lasted so long (and, really, why was this question asked?), and no one mentioned the absolutely annoying tendency for US gas stations to insist that you punch in a zipcode if you intend to prepay at the pump with a credit card. As a Canadian, I don't have a zipcode. I try to punch "90210" but almost never works. As a result, I have to prepay at the cashier, which prevents me from truly fulling up the tank.

HATE!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 PM

903 posts, read 2,242,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I'm surprised that this thread has lasted so long (and, really, why was this question asked?), and no one mentioned the absolutely annoying tendency for US gas stations to insist that you punch in a zipcode if you intend to prepay at the pump with a credit card. As a Canadian, I don't have a zipcode. I try to punch "90210" but almost never works. As a result, I have to prepay at the cashier, which prevents me from truly fulling up the tank.

HATE!
My american cards don't generally work at Canadian pumps I have to pay inside all the time

Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 PM

78,784 posts, read 70,607,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsen View Post
How come Canadian postal (zip) codes are letters and numbers like in the UK, instead of 5 digit number like the southern neighbor?

I know phone numbers in the US and Canada are the same, and same address format, but postal code is different. I prefer the US zip code since it is easier to remember and write.
Why should Canadian zip codes be like the US? What an odd expectation.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or