U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I'm surprised that this thread has lasted so long (and, really, why was this question asked?), and no one mentioned the absolutely annoying tendency for US gas stations to insist that you punch in a zipcode if you intend to prepay at the pump with a credit card. As a Canadian, I don't have a zipcode. I try to punch "90210" but almost never works. As a result, I have to prepay at the cashier, which prevents me from truly fulling up the tank.

HATE!
Another trick is to take the numbers from your postal code and add 00 at the end. It apparently is hit and miss, but it has worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,750,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
My american cards don't generally work at Canadian pumps I have to pay inside all the time
My Canadian cards don't generally work at American pumps. I have to pay inside all the time.

Perhaps our two countries' credit card companies and banks could work together. How many Americans visit Canada and need gas? How many Canadians visit the United States and need gas? I can understand if a US pump rejects a UK or Australian credit card, but a Canadian one? Similarly, a Canadian pump rejects a US card?

Obviously, we all (on both sides of the border) have the wherewithal to buy gas. Why can't we just buy gas as we're used to (debit card, credit card, either way, at the pump) wherever we happen to be, whether we're at home or not?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,155,180 times
^^ Why go thru all that trouble just to save people from walking into a store? lol

Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
My Canadian cards don't generally work at American pumps. I have to pay inside all the time.

Perhaps our two countries' credit card companies and banks could work together. How many Americans visit Canada and need gas? How many Canadians visit the United States and need gas? I can understand if a US pump rejects a UK or Australian credit card, but a Canadian one? Similarly, a Canadian pump rejects a US card?

Obviously, we all (on both sides of the border) have the wherewithal to buy gas. Why can't we just buy gas as we're used to (debit card, credit card, either way, at the pump) wherever we happen to be, whether we're at home or not?
It's not the credit card companies or banks since you can easily use your Canadian cards inside the gas stations and other businesses, just like Americans can in Canada. It's the zip code request that causes problems. The Oil companies never thought of Canadians or other travellers when they implemented this.
The issues some Americans have in Canada is that their Visa etc is a mix of credit and debit and some businesses in Canada when have issues with them if the customer is trying to use the credit card part for a deposit and not a purchase, like when renting a car.
The other issue Americans have is when travelling overseas. Europe, like Canada uses chip cards, but unlike Canada has gotten rid of the magnetic strip option. We kept the magnetic strip for U.S. users who come to Canada. That too will be gone by the time the U.S. also converts to chip

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-12-2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,320,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsen View Post
How come Canadian postal (zip) codes are letters and numbers like in the UK, instead of 5 digit number like the southern neighbor?
Why aren't American ZIP codes letters and number instead of 5 digit numbers like Canada and the UK? You are a former British colony, are you not?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM

8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I'm surprised that this thread has lasted so long (and, really, why was this question asked?), and no one mentioned the absolutely annoying tendency for US gas stations to insist that you punch in a zipcode if you intend to prepay at the pump with a credit card. As a Canadian, I don't have a zipcode. I try to punch "90210" but almost never works. As a result, I have to prepay at the cashier, which prevents me from truly fulling up the tank.

HATE!
It's anti-theft. That way if your card gets cloned/ripped off, which happens ALL the time, the thief would need to know your billing address zip code to have the sale authorized. Gas stations and Walmart are the first two places thieves usually go.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's anti-theft. That way if your card gets cloned/ripped off, which happens ALL the time, the thief would need to know your billing address zip code to have the sale authorized. Gas stations and Walmart are the first two places thieves usually go.
This will change. In Canada now all credit cards are chip, so we have to enter a PIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or