U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,354,718 times

Advertisements

Does anyone ever post from or about Maritime Canada? It took four pages of threads to come up with questions about Nova Scotia, let alone Labrador or Newfoundland.

I am planning a short motorcycle trip to the Bay of Fundy this fall to see the high tides. I prefer to spend as little as reasonable on accommodations. I am most interested in warm and dry, not luxury. Is there a Canadian equivalent of Motel 6?

Sometime next year I will try a ride to Nova Scotia on the way to Newfoundland. That will be a multi week affair. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 01:59 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Did a maritime trip a few years ago,found New Brunswick rather underwhelming just lots of trees
Although we did do a long scenic section in northern NB through Mt Carlton.
If you have the time this little dip into Nova Scotia was very scenic, we stayed in Parrsboro, we were camping but there are a few hotels in the town.

http://goo.gl/maps/FM9vV

Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Greg, I think you might be impressed with a trip along the Gaspe peninsula. Give that a shot.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Greg, I think you might be impressed with a trip along the Gaspe peninsula. Give that a shot.
An absolutely stunning drive, probably one of the best scenic tours in Eastern Canada, highly recommended
http://goo.gl/maps/IrAjH

Old 07-03-2013, 05:10 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,354,718 times
The Gaspe' is on my list. Is French the primary language? Is enough English spoken so I can find accomodations and food?

I plan on starting with the Bay of Fundy because I have not done a long distance ride decades. I have to work up the skills, techniques and endurance. This may take a while becase I am no longer thirty or anywhere near. I will probably stay in hotels this trip because I use a respirator while I am sleeping. I don't need or want luxury. Just a roof, bed and facilites.

I appreciate you help.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Gaspe' is on my list. Is French the primary language? Is enough English spoken so I can find accomodations and food?

French is the main language by far so it's basically like most of the rest of Quebec - you'll find lots of people who speak only French but someone who can speak some English is always not that far away.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As Gaspe relies heavily on tourism most people have a basic knowledge of English so your lack of French shouldnt be a problem..

Old 07-04-2013, 03:45 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,136,825 times
A nice visual about the Bay of Fundy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZI0KLdKhUA

Nova Scotia is divided into 7 tourist regions. The Bay of Fundy is on the Evangeline trail (the purple area).

Nova Scotia Tourism Map | Regions of Nova Scotia

^^ much info about what to do and what to see there.

Annapolis Valley | Grand Pre | Gaspereau Valley Wine Tours

^^ campgrounds and accomodations in the Annapolis Valley on the right-hand side.

Private cottage listing:

Bay of Fundy Vacation Rentals, House Rentals | HomeAway

Motels:

http://www.threeshoresnovascotia.com...d-motels?area=

(we have Motel 8 for some reason, not Motel 6)

Old 07-04-2013, 05:08 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
The Cabot Trail is one of the most beutiful places I have seen In Canada. I highly recommend it.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:14 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,136,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The Cabot Trail is one of the most beutiful places I have seen In Canada. I highly recommend it.
A taste of Cape Breton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2rtnWzhAg

Cabot Trail, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia

Cape Breton Island | Things to do | Music

Cape Breton has a Buddhist monastery (Shambala center):

Kalapa Valley
Annual Schedule - Gampo Abbey

Alexander Graham Bell museum:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/index.aspx

Cape Breton site:

Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia ? Official Travel Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or