Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,126 times

Advertisements

Some years ago, I stayed at the Robert Service Campground in Whitehorse. It's a nice park, fairly close to town, yet still natural. I'm currently planning a trip to St. John's, Newfoundland. There is a campground similarly close to the city called Pippy's Park. Does anyone know if this park is worth staying at, or how it compares to other urban parks? Any other good camping opportunities not to far from St. John's?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkyner View Post
Some years ago, I stayed at the Robert Service Campground in Whitehorse. It's a nice park, fairly close to town, yet still natural. I'm currently planning a trip to St. John's, Newfoundland. There is a campground similarly close to the city called Pippy's Park. Does anyone know if this park is worth staying at, or how it compares to other urban parks? Any other good camping opportunities not to far from St. John's?

Thanks,
Pippy Park is your only option in St. John's. I've never stayed there, but it has always struck me as being pretty basic. I've no idea how it compares to other urban parks. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will chime in and help.

There are other camping options a bit outside of St. John's, but they're a bit too far from the city if the city is your focus. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am also interested in this information. Are there inexpensive hotels in the area? Please check my maritime Canada thread.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:55 PM

233 posts, read 538,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkyner View Post

Thanks,
Pippy Park is pretty popular among locals, I don't know how it compares to other parks throughout Canada though. I believe it is the largest urban park in Canada and features a golf course and a mini golf course, there's lots of open space, walking trails, and playgrounds. The Fluvarium is within the park, it is an "environmental education centre". The bottom floor of the Fluvarium is below Rennie's Mill River so you can see what's going on underwater, and there's lots of other interesting stuff there too. Botanicals Gardens, which is a part of Memorial University is also within the park's boundaries.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am also interested in this information. Are there inexpensive hotels in the area? Please check my maritime Canada thread.

I took a lot at that thread. Sounds like an interesting trip.

Most of the hotels in the St. John's seem to be between $80 and $110. A few as low as $65, but the average was much higher. One of my friends ordered the 2013 Traveller's Guide for Newfoundland/Labrador which some pretty good info on prices and accommodation options. I'd recommend that for further details.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada