U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 AM

186,984 posts, read 76,864,268 times

Advertisements

I've got to get a passport to go to Winnipeg and on to Churchill. It's not cheap now. Just checked. I think the passport app is $135 and the PO wants another $15 for a 2x2 photo. My wife will photo each other in the studio. The PO teller told us not to be going and taking her business away. Well I'm doing just that. The PO is ripping off the locals and I'm doing something about it. Other places I hear are charging $10. Still that's pricy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,274,200 times
Thank you. I am Canadian-born and so are my kids. They have a different surname because women in Quebec don't change their name after marriage - their father and I are together but he would rather jump off a cliff then go shopping at the American outlet stores.

So, to clarify because I see some conflicting answers, my enhanced (Quebec) driver's license is OKAY? I can get a passport renewal but I'd rather not pay for one for my kid (he's only 8 months old and that's just an expensive pain). Do I still need a letter from my husband?

Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 AM

My problem is moreso the baby, I need to bring him with me if I go.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,348,324 times
Does everyone feel much more secure now that our (US) government is checking us out?

Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Does everyone feel much more secure now that our (US) government is checking us out?
Relevance to topic?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 AM

5,687 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Thank you. I am Canadian-born and so are my kids. They have a different surname because women in Quebec don't change their name after marriage - their father and I are together but he would rather jump off a cliff then go shopping at the American outlet stores.

So, to clarify because I see some conflicting answers, my enhanced (Quebec) driver's license is OKAY? I can get a passport renewal but I'd rather not pay for one for my kid (he's only 8 months old and that's just an expensive pain). Do I still need a letter from my husband?
Zoiste's information is correct. An enhanced driver's license is all you need and all you need for the baby is a birth certificate. But I think I would take along a letter of some sort from the husband anyway, because in this day and age, that might be a problem.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 PM

4,057 posts, read 9,102,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What do you mean by this?, When you enter Canada, do you first check out with the US? That's new.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:14 PM

8,556 posts, read 7,130,999 times
while it my not be "illegal" to attempt to cross without a valid passport, it will land you in a whole host of issues as well as hours of hassle.

you also have to think about crossing BACK into Canada without that passport...which will be equally annoying.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,930,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Just make sure you really do have the enhanced driver's license though -- the "permis de conduire plus". The regular Quebec driver's license isn't "enhanced". The process to get the EDL is quite a bit more complicated than the regular -- to me, it always seemed easier to renew my passport.

I'd carry a letter from your husband (US CBP doesn't seem to mention it but Canada CBSA does). As others have said the kids' birth certificates (issued by État civil/RRQ) will do.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 AM

Eek yeah, I don't think mine is enhanced. My BC one was, but now that I think about it my QC one is probably not (I only moved here two years ago).

I'm not sure all this is worth a trip down to the outlets tbh, LOL. Maybe I will wait a while then. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada