U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,671,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Valid passport is still needed.
Actually no, that link clearly states that children under 16 only need a birth certificate- the valid passport is only for people 16 and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,854 times
Just realized my passport expired a month ago. I have a trip to Vancouver BC in the 2 days. Will I be able to cross the border back and forth using the expired passport? Does anyone have experience with this situation? Please reply if you do.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:12 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerron8 View Post
Just realized my passport expired a month ago. I have a trip to Vancouver BC in the 2 days. Will I be able to cross the border back and forth using the expired passport? Does anyone have experience with this situation? Please reply if you do.

Safety and Security - Admissibility

"When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you."

However, on returning to the U.S.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...y-into-the-u.s.

"Land or Sea Travel: U.S. citizens entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

U.S. Passports
U.S. Passport Cards
Enhanced Driver's Licenses
Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)"

Old 09-01-2013, 02:17 PM

34,377 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerron8 View Post
You are required to have a valid passport to enter the USA not sure if an expired passport constitutes the term valid.
With your expired passport your re-entry into the USA might be a problem depending on how big of a deal the border guard wants to make of it, they'll probably give you a hard time to the point they think you are thoroughly inconvenienced then they'll begrudgingly allow you to enter your own country.
You might want to also pack your birth certificate, and a few recent bills to prove you live at the address you say you do.budget an extra 2 hours for the inconvenience factor.
While a USA citizen cant be denied entry into his own country A problem might arise if you are flying as without proper documents, the carrier will likely deny you boarding.At which point a plan-B will have to be implemented=rent a car and drive across or take public transit to White Rock, then from there take a taxi to the Peace Arch border crossing and walk across. Once you're across, the nearest airport is Bellingham (BLI)

Last edited by jambo101; 09-01-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,673 times
Hi I'm sorry I'm 18 crossing the u.s border with a recent expired passport but with all proof of citizenship including birth certificate,social security,state I.d will I still have a problem

Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,379,395 times
How things change. Last time I crossed into Canada from the US the only question was "Why are you entering Canada?" Answer - "Vacation." Comment - "Enjoy your stay."

Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,934,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessrivass View Post
Hi I'm sorry I'm 18 crossing the u.s border with a recent expired passport but with all proof of citizenship including birth certificate,social security,state I.d will I still have a problem
Are you Canadian or American? If you're an 18-year-old Canadian you need a valid passport, enhanced driver's license (not a normal license) or NEXUS card to enter the US. If you cross with your parents, I guess CBP officers may have some discretion as to whether they let you through, but I wouldn't count on it.

Given that you wrote "state I.D" you may be American -- you still need a valid passport in theory, though CBP could only give you a warning and let you back through if it's expired. I'm not sure about how strict they are about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada