U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,274,200 times

Advertisements

It's been many years since I've done this. Is a driver's license and/or expired passport acceptable? Also, is a birth certificate good enough for a child? He has a different surname than me but I'm on the certificate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 PM

141 posts, read 172,513 times
You need to have a valid U.S. Passport or Nexus card in order to enter Canada, whether by land, sea, or air. You cannot enter Canada with only drivers' license anymore since past few years unfortunately.

Your child needs a valid Passport as well. Bring the certificate as well. If you are divorced, a written document is needed by your ex spouse stating that the child is permitted to travel to Canada.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

Crossing into US border by car

It's been many years since I've done this. Is a driver's license and/or expired passport acceptable? Also, is a birth certificate good enough for a child? He has a different surname than me but I'm on the certificate.
No. It's even more restrictive driving into USA than into Canada. If you are going into USA you will need a valid drivers license or other ID and a valid, up-to-date passport for yourself and a passport for your child. Both passports will have to show the same residence address. Having the child's birth certificate and/or other ID is helpful. If the child has a different surname then even if your name is on his birth certificate showing yourself as the birth-parent you will still be required to show legal proof that you are the child's guardian and that you have lawful custody of the child.

If you don't have all that it might be assumed at the border that you are not the legal guardian and are trying to kidnap the child and take the child into the other country.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-07-2013 at 06:50 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,797,002 times
Maybe it doesn't hold true for Canadian citizens, but U.S. Citizens under 16 can still enter with a birth certificate via a land crossing.

See: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...egulations.pdf

Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 PM

141 posts, read 172,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Maybe it doesn't hold true for Canadian citizens, but U.S. Citizens under 16 can still enter with a birth certificate via a land crossing.

See: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...egulations.pdf
Valid passport is still needed.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,552,793 times
If you are Canadian, you absolutely do NOT need a passport to drive into the US. Your birth certificate or enhanced drivers license will be quite acceptable.

However, if you are not a Canadian citizen but have permanent residence in Canada/landed immigrant status, you do need your passport and an I94 visa which you can get at the border. You will be fingerprinted and your photograph taken, and the visa will be good for 90 days.

travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

Last edited by Vectoris; 07-07-2013 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: added a source link

Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-residents-%2F

Quote:

Canadian Citizens' passports are NOT required to be valid for six months past their intended date of departure. Their passports must only be valid up until the date of their intended departure.

All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or an Air NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.

By Land and Sea (including ferries) - Canadian citizens traveling to the U.S. by land or sea are required to present one of the travel documents listed below, and may generally visit the U.S. for up to six months. CBP will accept: Canadian passport, Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card, NEXUS, FAST/EXPRES and SENTRI enrollment cards.

Children: Canadian citizens 15 years old and younger arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate or a Canadian Citizenship Card. Canadian Citizens 16 and older must have a valid passport, unless traveling as part of an organized group described below.......

Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 AM

34,356 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
If you are Canadian, you absolutely do NOT need a passport to drive into the US. Your birth certificate or enhanced drivers license will be quite acceptable.
Interesting,, i was under the impression that you needed a passport to enter the US by car,however doing a bit of research seems to indicate you dont need a passport.
Be assured they will ask for a passport at the border,what happens when you tell them you dont have one? i have no idea as i have a passport that was no big deal or expense to obtain.
Anyone have recent experience of driving to the American border and saying you dont have a passport?

Last edited by jambo101; 07-08-2013 at 01:57 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 01:58 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,302,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Interesting,, i was under the impression that you needed a passport to enter the US by car,however doing a bit of research seems to indicate you dont need a passport.
If so, this is bizarre. I am told that while I might not need a passport/EDL to get into Canada, I will need one to get back into my own country. So this would mean that Canadians don't need a passport to get into the US, but US nationals need one to get home. Only our precious government could come up with something like that.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,637,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
It's been many years since I've done this. Is a driver's license and/or expired passport acceptable?
Renewing it is cheap and takes no time at all. I got a new one within a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada