Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,175,068 times

Advertisements

A friend told me that a friend of his drove down to the US in his pickup truck, and came back into Canada a couple of days later, hundreds of miles from the area he crossed into the States at, but had a new cap (to cover the truck bed on the truck). He didn't declare it but the Canadian customs knew he had it, apparently they had access to a picture of the truck when it entered the US. They must be sharing information.

That was surprising to me...you'd better make sure your vehicles look the same on the way down as they do on the way up .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,401,996 times
if he has crossed before in that truck with the same plates the Canadian side will have a picture of him entering. you are photographed right before you see the attendant while waiting the system will bring up the vehicle associated with the plates

the boarder agent could also have noticed it looks newer then the rest of the truck and under suspicion asked the question in a reverse way to get the relevant info he needed without the story attached.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
if he has crossed before in that truck with the same plates the Canadian side will have a picture of him entering. you are photographed right before you see the attendant while waiting the system will bring up the vehicle associated with the plates

the boarder agent could also have noticed it looks newer then the rest of the truck and under suspicion asked the question in a reverse way to get the relevant info he needed without the story attached.
Good points!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,839,613 times
The guy was an idiot. If he was gone for 48 hours he can bring back something like $800 worth of goods tax and duty free. He should have declared it.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
The guy was an idiot. If he was gone for 48 hours he can bring back something like $800 worth of goods tax and duty free. He should have declared it.
I agree with you. I don't know him or why he didn't. I also don't know how much a truck cap costs.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,988,114 times
With todays technologies the border guards are privy to an amazing amount of information, including border crossing times,pics of the car you were driving, recordings of previous interactions with guards and if they want they can download the contents of your cars Event Data Recorder to determine dozens of your cars operating parameters,they can scrutinize laptops or smart phones,they probably have much in the way of your personal history..
Few years ago i had to return to Florida for a bit of an extended period while there i had to acquire a Florida chauffeurs license, as it was $10 for ten years it was still active years after i ceased needing it and stopped using it., you can imagine my surprise when crossing into the USA for a weekend shopping trip years later the border guard asked me why i still had a current Florida drivers license,=pull over to inspection gate 4.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,146,616 times
Umm drones patrol our border and it is not secret it was talked about on CBC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCLMH_uDfzA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada