U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:02 AM

625 posts, read 1,187,838 times

Advertisements

OP, it sounds like you'd like Vancouver Island just fine, if it is access to nature you are looking for. It sounds like, though, you're concerned you might miss some things in the "city." Depending on what you're looking for, the Victoria region, or one of the smaller towns/cities on the island might be nice. You might consider a smaller "college town" or one of the small towns that are attracting outsoorsy transplants - these would probably offer a bit different environment than the typical smaller town, but at the same time housing might be more expensive. While Victoria definitely fits this description, Nanaimo might also offer this - there is a small downtown, a local university, with access to mountains, farmland and ocean and also ferry access to the Vancouver area. Courtney/Comox/Cumberland area also seems to be attractive, although I have yet to make it that far up the island.

Apparently, another place that is drawing people looking for an outdoorsy lifestyle are the towns in eastern BC - in the Kootenay mountains, for example, or the more settled Okanagan region. I have never been but have seen pictures, seems quite beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:21 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,108,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post

Apparently, another place that is drawing people looking for an outdoorsy lifestyle are the towns in eastern BC - in the Kootenay mountains, for example, or the more settled Okanagan region. I have never been but have seen pictures, seems quite beautiful.
I spent all of last summer in the Okanagan, Kelowna and Osoyoos trying to determine if I'd like to settle there. It is incredibly beautiful but I liked S Okanagan (and in my case Osoyoos) better.

The area is truly incredible but has it's problems. The traffic going up and down on the one single road (97) can get VERY busy in the summer, and if there's an accident, forget it. Also, I didn't find the people very nice in Kelowna, could just be me but I don't think I could live there because of that.

All in all, I just don't feel like I belong in BC, I've tried a few times and keep heading back to Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or