U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:26 PM
 
103 posts, read 138,266 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Well from my view, it seems almost comical that a democratic nation would so boldly and unashamedly promote and defend a barbaric institution such as monarchy. It makes absolutely no sense.
Its not that simple there are many people that do support the system we have now and would it be right for the feds to change things even if a large amount of people are fine with it that i think is the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:28 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,642 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are referring to your original post it sounds more like opinion than fact.



In fact your whole topic rests on your opinion of
Its a meaningless opinion meant solely to incite Canadians into responding to your rather vacuous ideas and assumptions,
Amazingly some Canadians are responding and giving you some much needed entertainment in the process which is basically what this topic is all about eh!.
Monarchy? nobody really cares, if you really want to light a fire start a topic on a more linguistic issue,
What opinion? Is it not a fact that swearing an oath to a monarch is contradictory of a democracy. Is it not a fact that Canada is considered a democracy but has a system of gov that legally (based on the constitution) would not be considered so?

Constitution Acts, 1867 to 1982

Quote:
III. EXECUTIVE POWER
Declaration of Executive Power in the Queen

9. The Executive Government and Authority of and over Canada is hereby declared to continue and be vested in the Queen.

Power to Her Majesty to authorize Governor General to appoint Deputies

14. It shall be lawful for the Queen, if Her Majesty thinks fit, to authorize the Governor General from Time to Time to appoint any Person or any Persons jointly or severally to be his Deputy or Deputies within any Part or Parts of Canada, and in that Capacity to exercise during the Pleasure of the Governor General such of the Powers, Authorities, and Functions of the Governor General as the Governor General deems it necessary or expedient to assign to him or them, subject to any Limitations or Directions expressed or given by the Queen; but the Appointment of such a Deputy or Deputies shall not affect the Exercise by the Governor General himself of any Power, Authority, or Function.

Command of Armed Forces to continue to be vested in the Queen

15. The Command-in-Chief of the Land and Naval Militia, and of all Naval and Military Forces, of and in Canada, is hereby declared to continue and be vested in the Queen.

Seat of Government of Canada

16. Until the Queen otherwise directs, the Seat of Government of Canada shall be Ottawa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,573,355 times
Reputation: 8908
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I acknowledge all of America wrongs, and I want to push to find solutions. But do you Canadians acknowledge that the monarchy is wrong?
Maybe some do but since I don't think it's wrong, I don't acknowledge it in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,642 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Canada is not your country, neither is mine. Who cares what they do? If they want to live under an unelected head of state, let them. You know which country you need to start worrying about, the one country in the whole world that is affecting the US at most? Mexico. They're having, virtually, a civil war down there with over 10 million of its citizens living here illegally influencing domestic policy, and you're worried about some old bag that wears a hat full of jewels? I say somebody has their priorities all mixed up
I saw the story, and thought it was very odd and needed addressing. And who are you to say what I should or shouldn't speak on? Mexico's crime problems are not related to this topic involving democracy and monarchy, since Mexico is a republic and Canada is not. I think your priorities need to be examined since you'd rather distract and give cover for an unjustifiable institution such as monarchy instead of doing you part to promote the principles of democracy and equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,573,355 times
Reputation: 8908
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I don't know what you mean by "Post Turtle", but I'm not surprised you're welcoming me back with you typical random antics.

Wouldn't it make more sense for a democratic country to have a democratic figure head?

More importantly, your figurehead is Canada's legal head of state, and was not elected, cannot be legally removed, has veto powers, can make appointments, and can fire.

Right now Canada is a walking contradiction and a few Canadians have the courage to acknowledge that fact. But you can't say the same for the US because we acknowledge our contradictions all the time.
It's not a contradiction in the least. Our system is a constitutional Monarchy and it is what it is. Take a look at many of the most successful nations on earth and you will find they have the same or very close to it, system as Canada does.

I've observed that when an American Head of State shows us that he has feet of clay, like Nixon or Clinton it causes incredible problems in the USA. The entire country suffers and loses much faith in the institutions of the country. The fallout sometimes lasts for years.

Our Prime Minister is just another politician. As such, of course he's a liar and a cheat, all politicians are that and more. If he goes too far he can be replaced tomorrow. His position is because he's the leader of his party. We don't elect Prime Ministers. "The Crown" is a different store though. It represents something so far above politics it can't be measured. It's permanent, stable, above petty political squabbles and incorruptible.

I'm sure many people here don't understand the extent of Canada's relationship with "The Crown".

In some regards the term, "The Crown: means almost the same thing as "The People" in the USA. In a court of law you are not being prosecuted by the government but it's always, The Crown VS. John Doe.
Most of the land in Canada is "Crown Land" owned by "The Crown. All measures passed in Parliament must receive "Royal assent" before they become the law of the land.

One of the most important functions of The Crown is to dissolve the government if the government does not have the confidence of the house of commons. This alone is worth it's weight in gold. It's impossible for Canada to end up with a do nothing, dysfunctional government like you have all to often in the USA. IN our system every single piece of legislation must pass in the House or the crown dissolves the government and an election is called.

There are many other aspects but since I've been ordered out of the house to make a Dairy Queen run by the sovereign Queen of Lucknow's house I'm outa here,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 PM
 
18,282 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Reputation: 13350
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
What opinion? Is it not a fact that swearing an oath to a monarch is contradictory of a democracy. Is it not a fact that Canada is considered a democracy but has a system of gov that legally (based on the constitution) would not be considered so?

Constitution Acts, 1867 to 1982
Canada is officially considered a functioning Democracy by the rest of the world. Drknoble was not consulted.

Constitutional legality has what bearing when talking about Canada?

The Constitutional Acts of Canada stipulate the powers of the various representatives so the legality of their function is not in question.

More importantly why would any other sovereign nation use the constitution of the U.S. as a measure of the worth of it's functioning democracy when you're not living up to it youselves?

Your point would be?

Last edited by BruSan; 07-13-2013 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:35 PM
 
18,282 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Reputation: 13350
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I saw the story, and thought it was very odd and needed addressing. And who are you to say what I should or shouldn't speak on? Mexico's crime problems are not related to this topic involving democracy and monarchy, since Mexico is a republic and Canada is not. I think your priorities need to be examined since you'd rather distract and give cover for an unjustifiable institution such as monarchy instead of doing you part to promote the principles of democracy and equality.
Brother; you take the pale! You presume to lecture one of your own countrymen who has asked you pointedly WTF Canada's monarchy has to do with you when there are far more compelling problems facing your country.

Cripes! Spend your efforts where they'll be appreciated and burnish your own tarnished image in the world before attempting to polish the already shining beacon to your north.

When it comes to democracy you should look to Canada as an example of how it's supposed to work as opposed to........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:53 PM
 
4,454 posts, read 5,746,770 times
Reputation: 2186
I can understand the OP, yet the Queen is only a figurehead. The Monarchy and the UK government had a much bigger role in the government in the American colonies prior to 1776, than to Canada these days. The real political powers are the elected Government Ministers in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,642 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I said for you to ask yourself, implying that you should also answer yourself, not me. Can't you follow along without getting confused?

Those were examples which is why I used "such as".

You're trying to side step the issue. Whether the action of Snowden leaking is favored or not is irrelevant when my point relates to how his leaking reveals that the US gov is illegally spying, which Americans acknowledge is a problem. While, Canadians such as yourself are doing the exact opposite, trying to ignore, downplay and defend the fact that monarchy is a problem.

Like I've said before, I've accepted America's faults and I'm pushing for change.

I guess it does look like I'm on a pedestal from your vantage, since you're so hunched over desperately trying to hide the fact that Canada has a monarchy problem. Maybe you could stand as high as me with confidence, if you were honest with yourself and country. Like they say - the truth will set you free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well since you suggested I "ask myself" on a public forum I "anwered myself" on a public forum.

Hiding the fact of having a monarchy problem isn't what one does when one discusses it on an open public forum, does one?

As to the pedestal reference I suggest you take another look at where the high ground is a opposed to where you're currently standing "Post Turtle" and I refer you to:Post turtle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is in homage to a previous incarnation "Kansasturtle" who no longer resides here for some reason or another. He, like yourself, had a style of ignoring that which he found uncomfortable and would rely heavily upon simply repeating the same silly rejoinder phrased slightly different until he ran out of relevant synonyms.
Wow, it's amazing how your entire comment is filled with nothing but random, off topic distractions that have nothing to do with my points or argument. Why don't you show some focus and maturity, and stop being a "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,642 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
According to a never-ending stream of events as has happened within your country over the span of a few decades at least back as far as Nixon; more than "apparently" you do not! Reference once again back to post #53 for examples of how I believe you've got the definitions of dictator and tyrant, as opposed to Democracy, completely and utterly fugged up.

Waiting ..........still waiting........still waiting.
You must still be confused because I already addressed that when I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Let's focus on this, I as an American have admitted that those problems you listed do exist. Are you as a Canadian going to admit monarchy is a problem?

I'm waiting.....
And I'm still waiting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top