U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 03:15 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,313,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I believe this is generally true. I had an unfortunate dealings with an American who insisted that Canada was not a democracy since I could not vote directly for the Prime Minister, but only the party.
Ha. Your American forgot that s/he votes for a party's chosen electors, who pinky swear to cast electoral votes for the party's candidate. He or she has never voted directly for President in all his or her life, because no American voter ever has (with the exception of electors, and the House (long ago and potentially again)). And while electors are typically pretty loyal, there have been cases of faithless electors. People really wet themselves when that happens, so I naturally hope it happens again soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:29 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,965,231 times
Canada is a constitutional monarchy. To do away with our system of government would be to do away with Canada itself.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 PM

18,286 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Canada is a constitutional monarchy. To do away with our system of government would be to do away with Canada itself.
Yeah but I think we'd survive and come up with just as good a Canada to replace it.

I understand your point but one needs to look no further than either India or Australia to see how it can be done in India's case (it's still India) and perhaps how the discussion should unfold leading up to a decision such as Australia's example.

Certainly our parliamentarions should be at least thinking about it should the old girl throw a belt without warning. Having at least a referendum wording or somesuch ready would be prudent I think. Once she's no longer the titular head of the house of Windsor ,who's left that would garner the same respect and grudging admiration?

Last edited by BruSan; 07-15-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,573,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I never said to use the Constitution of the US, even though it actually is a better measure, since it doesn't grant a monarch permeant and unchecked executive powers.
You have no understanding of the system in the least. If you did you could never say such nonsense.

The Crown has NO EXECUTIVE power in the least. To the ignorant, it could seem the Crown does but if you understood the system you would realize that is only appearance and not the reality of the system. The fact the GG seems to have the power to dissolve the government must be understood through Parliamentary RULES. The government actually dissolves it's self by losing the confidence of the House of Commons. The Crown just makes it official and announces the FACT. If there was no Crown then, for example, the speaker of the house could pronounce Parliament dissolved.

Americans have historically misunderstood the system. FDR actually threatened Churchill that he would go over his head, directly to the King if old Winston could not come to an agreement with him. Churchill told him the King had nothing to do with it and could not effect any political changes whatsoever. I still think FDR was teasing him because the President was a very intelligent man to say the least.

The bottom line is that the Crown in Canada has zero political power. It's functions are ceremonial. It is bound by a pretty rigid set of rules and render it reactive in nature not active.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 PM

558 posts, read 547,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The Queen is bigger than just the U.K - she may reside there but as HOS of Canada she is actually the Queen of Canada not the Queen of England - BIG difference.

The Instigator or should I say OP in this thread is from the U.S and kept shoving down our throats how much better the U.S system is over ours.. that's why America is mentioned - I think that's kinda easy to understand lol
I never brought up the US, and only referred to America after others such as yourself did. It looks like you're the actual instigator.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
You said that Americans acknowledge their contradictions but we don't - what kind of nonsense Is this.. You are a flamer in the Canadian section of the forum..

You are:

Either jealous of Canada
Trying to stir the pot and enjoy all of this for reasons unknown
Extraordinarily disappointed that the Canadians in here decidedly dismissed your notions

or 1,2 or all of the above.

Quote:
I never brought up the US, and only referred to America after others such as yourself did. It looks like you're the actual instigator.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I think you'd find that Canadians would have little appetite for an abusive monarch lol.. they know that and this is why they assume a ceremonial role..
According to your constitution, it's more than just a ceremonial role. The monarch has the legal right to be abusive or passive. Don't you see that as a problem?

Quote:
Man you are way more worried about this than we are - I don't know how you sleep at night..Btw do you have something against the Commonwealth?
I have a problem with monarchy and equality, and you should too.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
The last I looked Canada, Australia, UK and New Zealand were great allies of the United States lol.. perhaps you'd prefer such close friends as Iraq or North Korea...
Friends and allies debate don't they?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 PM

Ok maybe i'm missing something but please lay out theoretically and more importantly practicably where the monarch has the legal right to be abusive? Please provide historical examples in recent times. In other words I think the threat is more perceived by someone who lives in a world of fear and worst case scenario's instead of one who lives in reality and most probable scenario's.. I choose the latter.

What problems exactly do you have with the Monarchy of Canada in the last two centuries exactly that is fueling all this?? I think the problem is you and not the Monarch.

Quote:
According to your constitution, it's more than just a ceremonial role. The monarch has the legal right to be abusive or passive. Don't you see that as a problem?

I have a problem with monarchy and equality, and you should too.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 PM

You have a Public relations problem in here.. if Canada was run like the Saudi Kingdom where the monarch's power is absolute and there was demonstrable issues of Human Rights abuses etc than I can see your point. Instead you are levelling moronic arguments trying to instill some sort of fear and paranoia about the Canadian Monarchy and our system in a country that is developed in practically every single way including social development... sooooo what exactly is your problem? Or better yet - what is your motivation?

Quote:
Friends and allies debate don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or