U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,172 posts, read 1,752,214 times
Reputation: 2641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Exactly, I don't understand why this way of thinking is so threatening to other Canadians.
It's not threatening at all, to other Canadians. All Canadians have the right to air their views on this topic as they please, no matter what other Canadians may think. There is no stifling of debate on this topic in Canada.

However. You are not Canadian, and you have no standing in our national debate on the topic. You can, of course, be curious and contribute your viewpoint if the answers that come in response to your questions don't make sense to you. But to insult and denigrate a position in our political process because it does not accord with your foreign world view (and you are a foreigner for the purposes of the Canada forum), is the height of arrogance.

What if monarchist-minded contributors to the UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand forums waded into the Politics forum, and proposed, "An elected head of state is subject to pressure from special-interest groups, and should be replaced with an unelected monarch"? I think they'd be handed their backside pretty quick, and I can just see the comments:

-- "You're a foreigner; you don't get it."
-- "What right do you have to meddle in our affairs?"
-- "You're not American; go away, foreigner."
-- "@#$% you!"

And I suggest that all of the above apply to you. You're not Canadian, you have no right to meddle in our affairs, and perhaps you should just go away.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 07-23-2013 at 01:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,442 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
It's not threatening at all, to other Canadians. All Canadians have the right to air their views on this topic as they please, no matter what other Canadians may think. There is no stifling of debate on this topic in Canada.

However. You are not Canadian, and you have no standing in our national debate on the topic. You can, of course, be curious and contribute your viewpoint if the answers that come in response to your questions don't make sense to you. But to insult and denigrate a position in our political process because it does not accord with your foreign world view (and you are a foreigner for the purposes of the Canada forum), is the height of arrogance.

What if monarchist-minded contributors to the UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand forums waded into the Politics forum, and proposed, "An elected head of state is subject to pressure from special-interest groups, and should be replaced with an unelected monarch"? I think they'd be handed their backside pretty quick, and I can just see the comments:

-- "You're a foreigner; you don't get it."
-- "What right do you have to meddle in our affairs?"
-- "You're not American; go away, foreigner."
-- "@#$% you!"

And I suggest that all of the above apply to you. You're not Canadian, you have no right to meddle in our affairs, and perhaps you should just go away.
Once again, Canadians, British, Australians, and New Zealanders participate in our debates, why should it be any different the other way around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,442 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Here's the question that arises now: how many sock puppets does one have to create to support a failed argument?
It's good to see that you finally realize that your foolish defense of monarchy and inequality was a failed argument. You're making progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 AM
 
18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Reputation: 13335
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Once again, Canadians, British, Australians, and New Zealanders participate in our debates, why should it be any different the other way around?
???????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Reputation: 10306
I'll just leave this here;


Man: Is this the right room for an argument?
Other Man: I've told you once.
Man: No you haven't!
Other Man: Yes I have.
M: When?
O: Just now.
M: No you didn't!
O: Yes I did!
M: You didn't!
O: I did! M: You didn't!
M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
O: Well! it CAN be!
M: No it can't!
M: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
O: No it isn't!
M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.
O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!
M: Yes but it isn't just saying 'no it isn't'.
O: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!
O: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!
O: Yes it is!
M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.
O: It is NOT!
M: It is!
O: Not at all!

www.funnyordie.com/videos/be76d3ca8d/argument-clinic-from-monty-python-from-greatest-comedy-sketches
M: It is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 PM
 
558 posts, read 547,442 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Once again, Canadians, British, Australians, and New Zealanders participate in our debates, why should it be any different the other way around?
???????

Of course you're against any debate that opposes your beloved monarchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,586 posts, read 10,770,980 times
Reputation: 9293
Why not swear an oath- it does not cost you anything and it is profitable to belong to the common wealth nations...It's a company town and Canada is a proud member- Much better than forced American imperialism where the foreign subjects submit to America power against their will...Ask yourself this question- Should someone in Iraq swear an oath to the American President? It's a good thing to freely swear an oath to our CEO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:51 PM
 
18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Reputation: 13335
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Of course you're against any debate that opposes your beloved monarchy.

1/ You missed it yet again.

Debate is not what you've been doing and this post is but one more piece of evidence.

2/ They're not "my beloved monarchy" any more than the plungers I have in each of my bathrooms are "beloved". They merely serve a function, out of sight and mind but, are readily at hand should I have need of them.

Now, are we going to debate the worthiness of toilet plungers?

Your OCD "Canada angst" thingy is ruining your life kiddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,964,098 times
Reputation: 857
Explain to me how a republic equals democracy in your mind. Most of the world's most free and happy nations are monarchies, and nearly all of the current world's worst abusers of human rights are republics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 PM
 
64 posts, read 72,951 times
Reputation: 49
You would have a point OP if Canada had a Absolute Feudal Monarchy.

Beheading, Wars over the throne by Family Heirs and Pretenders, Crusades, Over taxation, and non representative state of government is all a thing of the past.

England had a Civil War over that hundreds of years ago, In case You didn't know. And even back in the American War of Independence Parliament held more power then the King did.

Feudalism is gone, so I don't know where You get this perception that Canada is somehow not a democracy.

btw, The Royal Family themselves have actually backed the idea that commonwealth countries can remove them. They have no issues with it at all. The Queen Endorsed the idea of Australia becoming a Republic.

So where does all that leave Your argument? The Crown= The People/Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top