U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:06 PM

7,244 posts, read 6,585,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You do have one wrong thing in your post. . Queen Elizabeth II is the Queen of Canada, yes, but she is not a Canadian citizen. She is the Sovereign of Canada, a citizen cannot be a sovereign, and vice versa. The governor general, however, is a Canadian citizen.
I'm sorry if that caused confusion and yes, you are right about that. She is not a citizen of Canada, she is the sovereign but not only is she the sovereign of Canada, she is Canada, just as she is "the country" in any other country that she is sovereign of. She cannot be a citizen of any country that she's sovereign of and she cannot vote. She's outside the normal electoral process and has never voted in any election in her life. Neither she nor any member of her royal family can effect politics in any country where she is sovereign .... and just for added trivia .... she cannot be prosecuted. I found out about that when somebody tried to interfere with one her corgis (which is essentially the same as trying to interfere with the queen's person) and the corgi bit that person who then wanted to prosecute the queen and couldn't because the monarch can't be prosecuted.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 PM

558 posts, read 547,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
She is not a monarch of a foreign country. Legally she is Canada's monarch, one of her titles is Queen of Canada.

Would be Canadians who want to be Canadians but somehow missed the part of about Canada being part of the commonwealth and having Queen Elizabeth ll as our head of state sound like they chose the wrong country.

Any change to our system will come from Canadians, not would be Canadians. Come on really? You can have reasonable reasons for getting rid of the monarchy in Canada, but how are we to take seriously someone who says this?

"One of the applicants, Simone Topey, is a Rastafarian, who, according to a court filing, believes that the Queen is the “Queen of Babylon” and that swearing the oath would “deeply violate her religious belief.” Another applicant, Dror Bar-Natan, calls the oath “repulsive” because he says the Queen is a symbol of inequality."

This issue about the monarchy is not new and perhaps one day we will rid ourselves of it, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

I'm getting the impression, by your " undemocratic " comment, that somehow you think the monarchy has power within Canada.They don't. They are a tradition and just figureheads. We only pay when they visit, unlike people in the U.K. so for most it really is a non-issue.
I used "undemocratic" because the Queen has no democratic legitimacy in Canada. And slavery was once a tradition, so that's not a good excuse.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Those "wannabe Canadian Citizen" immigrants (and anyone else who sympathises with them) who are fighting the oath are ignorant idiots who don't understand history, haven't done their homework about Canada as a monarchy and they don't deserve to become Canadians. I hope they all go back home to where they originally came from and stay there.

The Canadian Monarch (Queen Elizabeth at this time) is symbolic and representative of the Canadian Crown and the Canadian Crown is Canada. By swearing allegiance to the monarch they are swearing allegiance to Crown and Canada. If they don't want to swear allegiance to Canada then Canada doesn't need or want people like that because they are enemies to Canada.

I think something that confuses some people in other countries (even some Canadians) is understanding that in Canada Queen Elizabeth is not the Queen of England, that she is the Queen of Canada and is a Canadian citizen.

So they think because she is also the Queen of England that it must mean that Canada is dominated by the English Crown, not understanding that the Canadian Crown is a completely different entity and monarchy.

Canada did have the option of becoming a republic (or any other ruling system of their choice) but Canada chose to remain a monarchy in its own right and chose to keep Queen Elizabeth as the monarch. Queen Elizabeth is a separate monarch in 16 other countries too, who all chose to remain as monarchies and all chose to keep her as their monarch when they gained independence from British rule and the British Crown. There's 2 or 3 other countries that decided to give up the monarchical system altogether and became republics instead. Those republics are still members of the Commonwealth of Nations because of their previous connection with the British monarchy but they aren't doing as well as republics as the monarchies are doing as monarchies.

When Queen Elizabeth dies Canada will be faced with choosing whether or not to keep Elizabeth's line and House of Windsor inheritor (Charles) as Canada's new monarch or to choose an entirely different new monarch, possibly a native-born Canadian this time. Canada has the option to choose anyone as monarch, it can be someone who is a Canadian or it could be somebody else from a completely different country.

I'm pretty sure though that when she dies Canada will continue to keep the inheritor(s) of House of Windsor as monarch rather than choosing a new monarch from Canada or from somewhere else. It's "smart" politics to keep the House of Windsor since the House of Windsor is the wealthiest entity on the planet.

You keep saying "chose" and "option". Could you site the vote that was held anytime in Canadian history that supports your "chose" and "option" claim? In actuallity Canada was forced to accept monarchy.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
She's really only a figurehead anyway. About the same as Oprah.
Oprah is not an unelected head of state of the US, doesn't receive free tax money, or have the legal authority to veto, appoint, and fire whom ever she wants in the US gov.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:53 PM

18,273 posts, read 10,377,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I never knew that Canadian immigrants who are seeking citizenship have to swear an oath to an unelected monarch of a foreign country. Why have you Canadians allowed for your country to contradict itself with such a undemocratic, primitive, and shameful practice? Anyone who supports that ridiculous monarchy is basically saying they're against equality, justice, secularism, democracy, freedom, and plain ol' common sense.

The immigrants who are fighting this oath in court are taking a righteous stand. Are you Canadians going to support them by rising up and protesting to ultimately rid your country of this undemocratic and barbaric monarchy institution once and for all?

Would-be Canadian citizens set to fight oath to Queen - The Globe and Mail
My goodness Post Turtle; where have you been for the last few months?

Here's the deal; at least we have a real figure head instead of one you make up out of sack-cloth, ashes and George Soros contributions.

Ours comes with over 60 years or reigning experience while yours come with, well nothing of note or even to speak of judging by the last crop of college drop outs. Haar!

Righteous my azz. they knew this was part of the deal when applying and one of these retards has lived here for over 50 years, so if it is only now becoming a problem for him while he was content to live here for over 50 years with merely resident status, tough chit! He don't have to take the oath and he can remain a whannabe Canadian like he has for the last 50 years of living here.

He doesn't get a Canadian passport and he doesn't get to vote. Where were his objections for those 50 years of having neither?

An opinion only here but if you want to change Canada; first get the right to ***** by becoming a bonafide citizen then lobby from within to effect change. You want to balk at the conditions feel free to move on down the road to a republic that elects their whannabe phony monarch evey four years.

Canadians of convenience can kiss my rosy red azz; howzzat answer your retarded post?

I have missed you Post Turtle.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Oprah is not an unelected head of state of the US, doesn't receive free tax money, or have the legal authority to veto, appoint, and fire whom ever she wants in the US gov.
My goodness, another ill informed incorrect and retarded post so soon after the last one? This is not like you at all Post Turtle. You're usually just a bit more circumspect before posting one load of drivel after another.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Before branding other sovereign states "undemocratic", please explain how a flawed piece of legislation such as your very own Patriot Act where citizens can be imprisoned indefinitely without trial is allowed to exist in an allegedly free country. Additionally, you can perhaps shed some light as to why your own government is currently embroiled in a wiretapping/eavesdropping scandal where they were targeting innocent civilians while at the same time desperately trying to undermine your Second Amendment rights. Are they patterning the new America after the policies of Germany's Third Reich? Why have you Americans allowed your country to contradict itself with such totalitarian, primitive and utterly shameful practices?

People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw cinderblocks.
I acknowledge all of America wrongs, and I want to push to find solutions. But do you Canadians acknowledge that the monarchy is wrong?

Old 07-12-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I've been wondering when dr.knoble was going to reappear on our board.
Missed me? I'm always here, just been a bit too busy to participate.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I acknowledge all of America wrongs, and I want to push to find solutions. But do you Canadians acknowledge that the monarchy is wrong?
Nope; an anachronism perhaps but given your penchant for racism, segregation and voting rights denied for some within the time period of our current monarchs reign I'd say we're well ahead of you on the right versus wrong scale by a factor of ten. Read me?

Go lecture your congress if you feel the need to right some historical wrongs. That should keep you out of our hair for the next century at least.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes...just waiting for " it " ....
I'm flattered. I didn't know I was so popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or