U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,857,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
You see that's all Canada has to do, give options and they'll have moved their country one step closer to being fully democratic through and through. It makes no sense for a democracy to force new citizens to swear an oath to a monarchy, that whole idea is an oxymoron.
Oh you believe the monarchy no longer has any function in Australia, strange that since I'm ex Royal Australian Infantry regiment and I noticed a couple of yanks swearing allegiance to the crown when they were joining the Regiment this week. I wonder if yanks lose their US citizenship if they swear loyalty to a monarch ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,394,657 times
Could what happened in Australia in 1975, when the governor general (the Queen's representative) removed then prime minister Gough Whitlam from office, happen in Canada?

Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,005,315 times
Quote:

While, Canadians such as yourself are doing the exact opposite, trying to
ignore, downplay and defend the fact that monarchy is a problem.
It seems to be a problem for YOU, and frankly that's your problem, not ours.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,128,404 times
Not really - I do in city vs city when the vs involves Toronto.. I also post in the world forums but not once have I gone into the U.S.A section. Most of the time I find that it is Americans posting silly threads that are either overly in your face about how amazing RA RA America is or they are trashing other places because they can't grasp that there are other countries or places that may be as good or even better.

Quote:
I never said the US didn't have problems. And I'm pretty sure you comment on US topics all the time.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-12-2013 at 11:43 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,128,404 times
You are sooo dense.. to make it easy for you...

I'm not jealous. I'm a gay male and have been married for four years.. most places in your country I couldn't have done that.

I don't find the monarchy a fault in Canada. I live in a country i'm proud of and love willingly and would die for. You are making an issue out of nothing (and clearly not piping up about the enormous strengths of Canada under the Queen as our HOS) and clearly the majority of Canadians in here feel the same way.

And quite frankly I agree with the guy from New Zealand - if an immigrant doesn't like the way this country is - they can feel free to go back to the country they came from - clearly a bastion of human rights like Canada is lol <sarcasm>... After they follow our customs and become a Canadian Citizen than sure become a part of the conversation about what this country should be in the future.
Until then - be quiet and be grateful you aren't dodging bullets or mortars or persecution anymore and respect your new country and its tremendous history and values that have allowed you to live in a safe, free and developed land with unlimited potential..and most of all - don't forget the reason you came here in the first place!

Quote:
You're jealous too?

It's amazing how you Canadians can't acknowledge your countries faults such as monarchy. You won't catch me trying to downplay or defend slavery or any of America's faults.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-13-2013 at 12:06 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 12:15 AM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Quote:
I acknowledge all of America wrongs, and I want to push to find solutions. But do you Canadians acknowledge that the monarchy is wrong?
Monarchy is just fine, doesnt bother me in the least,i say keep the status quo..

Seems almost comical that some one from a country that is in major decline and fraught with a plethora of major problems would bring up a topic berating another country for something as trivial and inconsequential as its connection to England..I suppose you also have issues with our parliamentary system of government as well.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-13-2013 at 12:23 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 AM

1,303 posts, read 987,320 times
I think you'll find around 75% of Canadians are very comfortable with Her Majesty being our Head of State.

Don't like it....go elsewhere.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 AM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Quote:
Of course you can't point out what I said that was incorrect because your know that everything I said was fact.
If you are referring to your original post it sounds more like opinion than fact.

Quote:
I never knew that Canadian immigrants who are seeking citizenship have to swear an oath to an unelected monarch of a foreign country. Why have you Canadians allowed for your country to contradict itself with such a undemocratic, primitive, and shameful practice? Anyone who supports that ridiculous monarchy is basically saying they're against equality, justice, secularism, democracy, freedom, and plain ol' common sense.

The immigrants who are fighting this oath in court are taking a righteous stand. Are you Canadians going to support them by rising up and protesting to ultimately rid your country of this undemocratic and barbaric monarchy institution once and for all?
In fact your whole topic rests on your opinion of
Quote:
The issue is swearing an oath to an unelected tyrant
Its a meaningless opinion meant solely to incite Canadians into responding to your rather vacuous ideas and assumptions,
Amazingly some Canadians are responding and giving you some much needed entertainment in the process which is basically what this topic is all about eh!.
Monarchy? nobody really cares, if you really want to light a fire start a topic on a more linguistic issue,

Last edited by jambo101; 07-13-2013 at 01:24 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 01:12 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,378,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Oh you believe the monarchy no longer has any function in Australia, strange that since I'm ex Royal Australian Infantry regiment and .......
You should remember then that they are a "Corps" not a regiment.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:27 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not really - I do in city vs city when the vs involves Toronto.. I also post in the world forums but not once have I gone into the U.S.A section. Most of the time I find that it is Americans posting silly threads that are either overly in your face about how amazing RA RA America is or they are trashing other places because they can't grasp that there are other countries or places that may be as good or even better.
lol no.
that is just what you want to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or