Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Apparently we Americans know way more about democracy than Canadians such as yourself, because we would never ever promote or defend monarchy, tyranny, or the dictatorship institution.
According to a never-ending stream of events as has happened within your country over the span of a few decades at least back as far as Nixon; more than "apparently" you do not! Reference once again back to post #53 for examples of how I believe you've got the definitions of dictator and tyrant, as opposed to Democracy, completely and utterly fugged up.

Waiting ..........still waiting........still waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Grade 6, Social Studies:

Ontario Elementary Curriculum 2013 - Canada's Constitutional Monarchy Online Resource

Grade 9:

Grade 9: Resource Package | Being an Active Citizen

The topic of constitutional monarchy is clearly present in schools. Sometimes it is a topic for a debate, but there is consistent attachment of the Queen to the Canadian identity.
And until there is a ground-swell of public opinion precipitating a referendum or plebiscite to change that; it should remain so. The school curriculum, as laid out, is not espousing superiority of the Monarchy system, it seems it is attempting to educate as to the pro's and con's of either. Students will make up their minds hopefully by observing closely the behaviours of the two in close proximity to each other. Given that last, I certainly know which model I prefer at present.

Our history and conventions are ours and should not be changed due to a minority sentiment arriving on our shores from anywhere else. Certainly those groups should have input and certainly discussion should be encouraged, as that is how all countries flourish and develope moving forward. In the end, the democratic process should prevail.

As another poster opined; we will ultimately decide as a nation on a number of issues regarding the monarchy and it's place within our country. However, based on current events unfolding below the 49th parallel today, I see that decision being placed further into the future rather than sooner though. Agreed?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:56 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
I agree that this time in history may not be right for this particular referendum/debate, - but it does not excuse off-hand remarks coming from born Canadians to naturalized Canadians "to go back where they came from" when facing different opinions - the opinions of the part of the nation.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
There are plenty of Canadians who think the monarchy is stupid and outdated. There are also plenty who care about the issue. However, it's not a pressing issue because the monarchy has no actual power in Canada. Giving an oath of loyalty to the Queen is really just using the Queen as a symbol of the country. I'd give the oath and never think twice about it. Would I take a bullet for the Queen? No.
I would. Not because the queen is particularly awesome, but because it'd be interesting to have 15 minutes of fame. I might even get a few gifts out of it.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Dude seriously - do you think you represent the majority of Americans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
lol no.
that is just what you want to think.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:25 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Dude seriously - do you think you represent the majority of Americans?
I hope not.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 AM

I am... I also agree with others who state that we don't need the Queen to maintain our identity as Canadians.. it really is just tradition but at this stage of the game I don't see any need to cut ties because the Queen of Canada (not Britain) has established a healthy relationship with our country.

For me it is such a non issue to matters of real importance like balancing the needs of our economy whilst looking forward with environmental issues or improving on our decaying infrastructure and building a more modern transportation network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboundwithCabinFever View Post
I think you'll find around 75% of Canadians are very comfortable with Her Majesty being our Head of State.

Don't like it....go elsewhere.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 AM

When I say generally or my impression it doesn't mean ALL and not in your specific case - I think you're alright actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I hope not.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Newcomers should become a Canadian Citizen first before being part of the conversation about what should happen with Canada! That is why you can't vote until you are a Canadian Citizen. Canada is a great country its values and history should be respected... if they are to change it should be by those either born here or have paid there dues via citizenship.. I'm not content to put the future of this country in the hands of those who have been here for 1 year and a day. I suspect the majority of Canadians feel the same way (The people actually connected to this country and would die for it and what it represents).

Quote:
I agree that this time in history may not be right for this particular referendum/debate, - but it does not excuse off-hand remarks coming from born Canadians to naturalized Canadians "to go back where they came from" when facing different opinions - the opinions of the part of the nation.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-13-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Aaaah, yes I think it does; you see these poeple have expressed dissatisfaction before investment. Sorta like demanding equal opportunity and recognition before earning it. "Go back where they came from" is not going to happen to them in any case now, is it?
Please allow those people who might respond in such a fashion the same latitude and understanding you seem willing to extend someone who doesn't seem willing to sacrifice just one of their ideals to become a Canadian citizen.

You desire to opportune the equality to them that they have neither the overwhelming desire or asperation to sacrifce what they consider to be their higher ideal to obtain.

One of them indeed has already been here for over 50 years seemingly quite content with his "convenience Canadian" status until he thought it time to challenge the oath. Strange, wouldn't you say? 50 years of not voting to affect change and he was content with that? What's the deal here, now he desires a passport or something? Finally retiring and realizes he can't take his dream cruise without citizenship?

I believe wanting to become a Canadian isn't something that should just automatically accord them a better life in a new country. Each and every one of them should be willing to sacrifice something to afford them that opportunity. Accepting all that Canada has to offer including the privilege of challenging our conventions AFTER lowering of their "supposed" higher ideals until such time as they earn the right to challenge the ones other Canadians have obtained through their sacrifices.

Last edited by BruSan; 07-13-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada